Thread: Drum brake shoe adjuster - mistake I made

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Drum brake shoe adjuster - mistake I made

Had trouble getting drums back on my 2015 after replacing shoes. The whole problem was the slight ridge of rust on the drum, and the Mirage is apparently close tolerance (new drums probably would have went on over the new OEM shoes fine). But I didn't want to believe that little bit of rust was the cause.
    Thought I'd push the 'reset' hook on the adjuster a little further than what I've seen in other posts. Figured I'd get just a bit more, that the shoes would move in just a little closer and would clear the drum.
    Still had to force the drum on!
    I figured out where I went wrong (see photo). If the 'quadrant' is reset all the way until it just about touches the backing plate, the hook that goes into the brake shoe is no longer fully seated. See the write-up that Cobrajet made a few years ago, the two pieces of adjusting lever need to be aligned straight.
    Although the teeth still mesh, and I believe the adjuster will work this way, save yourself some stress and follow what Cobrajet describes in his post from 2018.Name:  IMG_1659.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  93.2 KB
    Edit: sorry for the sideways photo (moderator, can you rotate photo? Thanks!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    ...the two pieces of adjusting lever need to be aligned straight.
    I have some pictures showing this in THIS post.

For anyone new reading this: Remember this funky drum brake adjuster mechanism was only used on 2014-2015 Mirages built for North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-06-2023),tomrad (12-06-2023)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, you are correct. My apologies, I should have mentioned your post as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FYI if one lets the shoes get down to thin the breaks leak. Had that happen on my 2015 at about 90 K https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ted-too-long-(