Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yaris shocks and springs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It's how far the wheel will drop before hitting the limit of the shock absorber extended all the way out. Since the Yaris springs are shorter length but it still has the Mirage shocks the axle could drop so far that the Yaris springs could actually pop out.
    How do you test for this?do you jack the rear of the car up and see if a spring falls out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    How do you test for this?do you jack the rear of the car up and see if a spring falls out?
    That would give you at least a general idea. Centrifugal and rotational forces should not be under estimated because rolling down the road hitting a big bump, emergency maneuvering would result in exponential force being placed on the springs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's how far the wheel will drop before hitting the limit of the shock absorber extended all the way out. Since the Yaris springs are shorter length but it still has the Mirage shocks the axle could drop so far that the Yaris springs could actually pop out.
    I should have clarified this from the beginning. The Mirage springs are indeed longer but they are so soft that the weight of the car compresses them so much (without passengers) that the ride height with them is equal to the shorter springs. This is because the shorter springs are far stiffer and barely compress with the weight of the car. They arnt going to pop out any time soon as we had to use a floor jack to compress the rear beam to be able to thread the shock bolts. To anyone concerned about this, we managed to pull the ORIGINAL springs out by hand without undoing anything, just lifted the rear of the car and pulled them out by hand.... We tried doing the same with these springs, those will not be coming out in the same fashion. The spring will not suddenly become shorter and the shocks will not suddenly become longer with rotational forces, inertia etc. The rear beam will only drop as far as the shock will allow, and mind you if this was ever a problem there might be more than 1 tiny bolt holding the beam to the shocks (common sense engineering) lol.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caramanos2000 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-03-2016),gone.a (07-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
    . To anyone concerned about this, we managed to pull the ORIGINAL springs out by hand without undoing anything, just lifted the rear of the car and pulled them out by hand
    you did no such thing unless fingers are sausages
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 07-03-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: sausage

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    you did no such thing unless fingers are sausages
    4 hands with normal fingers lol. We had to try cause the springs are so soft.. the ride height alone demonstrates that.... the weight of the car was enough to compress those longer springs to shorter than the yaris springs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caramanos2000 For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been doing some digging, looks like the 2012 and 2013 Yaris part numbers are the same. Prior years are different, and I believe 2014 is also different. So If you want to try this mod look for 2012 and 2013 springs. Not sure about 2014 onward

The 2012 US based Yaris SE trim came with a sport tuned suspension option, and what I can only assume were slightly stiffer springs but I have not been able to locate those online.

Also, I have found rear spring part numbers 4823152F30, which is the one offered at the few US based Toyota parts dealers I have looked at and also part # 4823152F40 which is a Mexico/Rough Road spec spring, which I am assuming is slightly softer??

OP - Do you happen to know the part number of your springs?

I just ordered the 4823152F30 rear springs, should have them installed in about 2-3 weeks. Will report back with perhaps a new thread regarding ride and handling.

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I've been doing some digging, looks like the 2012 and 2013 Yaris part numbers are the same. Prior years are different, and I believe 2014 is also different. So If you want to try this mod look for 2012 and 2013 springs. Not sure about 2014 onward

The 2012 US based Yaris SE trim came with a sport tuned suspension option, and what I can only assume were slightly stiffer springs but I have not been able to locate those online.

Also, I have found rear spring part numbers 4823152F30, which is the one offered at the few US based Toyota parts dealers I have looked at and also part # 4823152F40 which is a Mexico/Rough Road spec spring, which I am assuming is slightly softer??

OP - Do you happen to know the part number of your springs?

I just ordered the 4823152F30 rear springs, should have them installed in about 2-3 weeks. Will report back with perhaps a new thread regarding ride and handling.
    I cant speak about the se model because we dont have it in pr. As far as the other yaris im 99% sure all years will work, part numbers may differ but are identical. I currently have 2005 yaris ksport coilovers installed in my 2013 yaris and previous to that had 2010 springs in it. They are all interchangeable minus the se which probably just has stiffer dampening.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Caramanos2000 For This Useful Post:

gone.a (07-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
    4 hands with normal fingers lol. We had to try cause the springs are so soft.. the ride height alone demonstrates that.... the weight of the car was enough to compress those longer springs to shorter than the yaris springs.
    I can verify this myself. My brother and I jacked the car up and just pulled the factory springs out by hand. The slightly shorter Eibach springs had to be compressed a bit to get back in. The factory springs are extremely soft. Even the front springs did not have to be compressed. We did compress the front to be safe but they are so soft that it was not even necessary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you have a pair of Yaris shocks available it would be great if you could install them and give a report on how it rides, problems, etc...
    Shocks are the right length but different mounting bushing will not work without bushing swap.

OEM Yaris shocks are the same Tokico crap, but they are firmer so would reduce pogo effect. If you want to experiment with drilling out bushing to right size get Monroe OE Spectrum (much better shock) for Yaris or xD and then drill to fit stock bolts good luck.

EDIT: I don't think springs will fall out since shocks are very close in length.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    I can verify this myself. My brother and I jacked the car up and just pulled the factory springs out by hand. The slightly shorter Eibach springs had to be compressed a bit to get back in. The factory springs are extremely soft. Even the front springs did not have to be compressed. We did compress the front to be safe but they are so soft that it was not even necessary.
    This is very interesting. there was no way I was going too be able too simply pull the rear springs out by hand without dropping my shock. I even ran Honda fit springs for a while that if I recall correct were slightly shorter, and they were locked tight.

I also included a picture of my factory front spring next too an eibach spring. Clearly the factoryy spring is easily 2" longer, plus the 3/4" or so the eibach squished. It obviously would be under some pretty high pressure, because i cannot collapse the spring down 2" by hand

I have a 2015 I bought used. I wonder if different years got different leagth springs, struts or shocks, if my springs were changed prior to me owning the car.... or maybe I'm remembering wrong?? Herm.

So.... OP, any thoughts after a while of use???

Attached Images Attached Images