Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: USB relocation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    I have been thinking of this, but just as a additional usb outlet
    Pretty cool. And it says it's made for Mitsubishi. I wonder if it fits the dash without any cutting or drilling?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pretty cool. And it says it's made for Mitsubishi. I wonder if it fits the dash without any cutting or drilling?
    Heh, someone has to find out it it's made for Mitsubishi

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great thread! I've added it to the mods list.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I just had a new Kenwood head unit installed. It has a rear USB and a rear auxiliary input...perfect for this device! I picked one up and installed it in my console before I had the head unit put in. Here's a few pictures of how I did it.

First, you have to grab that whole front section of the console and pop it out. It comes out pretty easily. You have to unplug the connector on the little cubby where the key fob goes. Here's what it looks like with the front section removed...

Name:  Image01.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  90.5 KB

I was also mounting mine in the blank spot where the heated seat switch goes. Carefully measure and drill a small hole in the center of the switch blank. Then grab a 1 1/8" hole saw bit. This is the perfect size for the device...

Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  62.3 KB

Here's what it looks like after the hole has been made...

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  Image3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  97.0 KB

OK...at this point, the device will go right into the hole. Pop the switch blank out and mount the device. Notice that it will stick out about 1/16" so the cap has something to snap on to. You can see how it sticks out slightly in the image below...

Name:  Image5.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  59.5 KB

At first that's how I set it up. Then I put the cap on it...

Name:  Image6.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  92.7 KB

The cap is nearly impossible to remove once it's installed. In my opinion, it's too much of a pain to deal with, so at this point I decided to abandon the cap completely. I broke out a piece of coarse sandpaper and opened up the hole in the console slightly so I could get the device to fit more flush so it was no longer sticking out. Here's what I ended up with...

Name:  Image7.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  44.5 KB

In my opinion, this is the way to go. It looks much better flush and not sticking out...

Name:  Image4a.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  97.8 KB

Here's the finished product...

Name:  IMG_2934.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  Image9.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  96.6 KB

One last comment... Test fit a USB drive into this thing BEFORE you install it. It's REALLY tight when you try to plug in a USB drive. I wish I had played with this and figured out a way to "loosen" it up. Maybe after I plug something in and out 50 times it will be better. It's so tight right now, that when you pull on the USB drive, the entire plate comes out with it!

I'm very happy with the results. I've tested both the USB and aux jack, and they are working like a champ with my new head unit. Thanks to the OP for this idea!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-05-2017),Cobrajet (08-10-2016),Eggman (08-10-2016),inuvik (08-10-2016),MetroMPG (08-11-2016),Wayne (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just want that cubby to have that cubby.