Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Tier gas : Healthier for your vehicles . Go to ...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    That is nothing to be proud of.
    with all the negative comments about the government floating around this thread, my comment was said slight handed. i should've used one of dem fancy faces!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Look it up. It's true!
    Links please. I wouldn't know where to begin researching this one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is this really a concern?

We drive one of the most fuel efficient vehicles on the roads and some of us are 'worried' about the few percentage points added ethanol may take from overall fuel economy.... not this guy.

I used to fret about ethanol and tried to avoid it until I really researched it, all arguments against it are 20 years behind current engine capabilities, and componetry. I am a mechanical engineer and studied with an emphasis on ICE (internal combustion engines) - no I do *not* design engines - but I know how to research something and judge the merits of articles/papers. You will not hurt or degrade your Mirage with ethanol blended fuel. Maybe your fuel economy will lose a percentage point or two, but at the MPG levels we are seeing it's pretty much moot, it's certainly a diminishing return - but if it floats your boat - go for it: no harm no foul.

I *always* grab the lowest octane rating at the pump. That's my primary fill-up criteria. I drive the crap outta my Mirage and have a proven (well documented, at least) lifetime MPG of 33.4 - it's this because I put my foot in it all the time - not because of the ethanol in my fuel. Frankly ***in my opinion*** taking the time to search out and go to ethanol free fuel stations is not worth it.

On the point about ethanol breaking down, (besides the fact that adding water to the intake's stream can be beneficial: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/just-add-water-2016-bmw-m4-gts-street-legal-water-injected-track-monster-and-its)) - who lets their car sit for 4-ish months without use? If you are then by all means steer clear of the ethanol.

Also do you *trust* the filling stations - how can you verify that the fuel you're getting is as pure as the pump says... do you litmus test the fuel (http://www.acustrip.com/res/pdf/ACUS...asoline_PR.pdf) otherwise you're just trusting a lot of unknowns...

ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-11-2016),MightyMirageMpg (07-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    We drive one of the most fuel efficient vehicles on the roads and some of us are 'worried' about the few percentage points added ethanol may take from overall fuel economy.... not this guy.

I don't care about MPG's at all. I get around 27-32MPG average during the day while using it for work. There are several gas stations within 2 miles of my house that have ethanol free fuel, because I live in Florida and that is recommended for boats and motorcycles (anything carbureted). I also don't care about the longevity of this vehicle as I won't have it long enough for the rubber and silicon parts to break down before they should from the alcohol. If I planned on having this car for 10+ years I would definitely be driving it nicer and taking better care of it.

I have bought many used cars to fix up and the parts that always go are the fuel related parts. The research into them was how I found out about the effects of alcohol on rubber and silicon. It also will cause the intake valves to rust. There is a very recent youtube video that has a mustang with the heads pulled off and rust on the intake from E 85. For this reason I fill up with ethanol free as much as I can. I try to use fuel with detergents every third fill-up or so just to clean the engine some and especially before oil changes.

In the end it doesn't really matter, unless you have a 20 year old car or plan on keeping your car for 20 years. I doubt the Mirage has a Teflon lined fuel line or specially treated intake gaskets to repel the effects of alcohol. It does have the protective coating on some of the internal engine components, but are the intake valves one of them? I know for sure I would never use Ethanol infected fuel in any of my carbureted vehicles. Re-jetting your carbs because of sh**ty fuel gets old fast.

These aren't from the video I was talking about, but these are shots from an engine running E85 (I know not E10). That is rust...
    Name:  pass_valves_closeup.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  pass_pistons.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  79.9 KB

I'll also leave this link here...
    Hawaii Governor Kills Ethanol In Fuel http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/haw...hanol-in-fuel/
    Last edited by HitShane; 07-11-2016 at 03:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Ethanol, at best, is a mediocre motor fuel. It isn't particularly powerful, is extremely hygroscopic, is mildly corrosive, requires lots of resources to produce (arable land, potable water, fertilizer, etc), and diverts food crops that are better put to use elsewhere.

The 'energy independence from ethanol' dream has been around for over 30 years now, and if we are any closer at all it is only because the government is still forcing this stuff on us. Besides, we already ARE energy independent.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/05/oil-reserves-us/

It's high time to close the book on the ethanol experiment, but I doubt it will happen. There are vested interests on both sides of the political aisle.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-11-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    . I also don't care about the longevity of this vehicle as I won't have it long enough for the rubber and silicon parts to break down before they should from the alcohol

I have bought many used cars to fix up and the parts that always go are the fuel related parts. The research into them was how I found out about the effects of alcohol on rubber and silicon. It also will cause the intake valves to rust. There is a very recent youtube video that has a mustang with the heads pulled off and rust on the intake from E 85. For this reason I fill up with ethanol free as much as I can. I try to use fuel with detergents every third fill-up or so just to clean the engine some and especially before oil changes.

In the end it doesn't really matter, unless you have a 20 year old car or plan on keeping your car for 20 years. I doubt the Mirage has a Teflon lined fuel line or specially treated intake gaskets to repel the effects of alcohol.

I know for sure I would never use Ethanol infected fuel in any of my carbureted vehicles. Re-jetting your carbs because of sh**ty fuel gets old fast.

These aren't from the video I was talking about, but these are shots from an engine running E85 (I know not E10). That is rust...

]
    what your telling me is mitsubishi produced 50 thousand cheap little cars, didnt make them "fuel safe", and stuck a 10 year warranty on them, even though the evil ethenal monster is going too completely destroy fuel lines, pumps, gaskets, and rust the pistons out? sounds like a great businesses modo.

you contradict yourself in the 2nd paragraph. why do spend the money on e-free fuel, and magic fuel additives if you dont care about the car, or mileage? i must of missed your point. for a cleaner engine? because ethenal burns cleaner.....

so these photos of a mustang engine....

when, exactly, does e85 just SIT on the bottom of the valves? wheres the picture of the bottom of his intake? this is what would show the most "wear" from e85.

this guy likely lets his car sit, and also likley doesn't know enough that this is caused by his mistake. look at the electrolysis caused by his use of glycol in his water jackets. or is that rust toi? lol

its funny, because i used too have a triumph spitfire, with a carbureted, turbocharged 4 cylinder from a 1979 mustang. i switched this too e85, promptly tuned my way too WAY more power. when i finally blew the turbo seals i removed the head too do a valve job. the engine had no rust, and zero sludge or any sort of buildup.

i currently have 2 carbureted vehicles, a 1968 coronet, and a 1992 suzuki katana. I'll include pics of these in another, second post.

my point is, I've NEVER had too rejet either of them, or any other carbureted car, because of "bad gas" and why would you??? if your getting bad gas, don't go there.

there is nothing available today that is built too last through 20 years of service.

i don't even understand what your saying anymore. ive had 30+ vehicles, most of them pre 1990. the most common problem ive had is suspension issues.

Ethanol, at best, is a mediocre motor fuel.
    no. ethenal is a fantastic fuel.

it burns cleaner, cooler and you can make more power using it.

its not good from a economic standpoint.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The katana is tailswapped too some kind of Yamaha

The coronet is a 383 4spd

The triumph, which swallowed e85 by the gallon, was faster than both of them, and too this day, the fastest thing I've ridden or driven
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 07-11-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I had a tuned vehicle with a turbo, I would run E85 every track day

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-14-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Stop wasting money on premium gas, it doesn't do jack unless your engine requires it or you go turbo/supercharge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You should use one of the website that lists ethanol-free fuel stations.