Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel spacers?

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Wheel spacers?

Hey everyone, I have the stock 14" alloys on my mirage and was wondering what size spacers I could use without having rubbing issues stock rubber

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
    ...I have the stock 14" alloys on my mirage and was wondering what size spacers I could use without having rubbing issues
    I assume you want to move the wheels out for a more aggressive look?

I purchased these wheels spacers from Amazon: 25mm (1 inch) Hubcentric Wheel Spacers[/COLOR]

Name:  25mm Spacer.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  74.0 KB

I never installed them because I decided to buy new wheels instead. These are well-built, quality spacers. Be careful of the super-cheap ones on eBay.

I can tell you that (in my opinion) you will need to move the wheels out 1.0 - 1.25 inches (25mm-32mm) in order to lose the look the factory wheels have from too much positive offset. That's why I bought the spacers above. I have new wheels that sit out 1.25" more than stock, and the car looks completely normal now.

These spacers have the right measurements for the Mirage (don't worry because the Amazon fitment guide says they won't fit a Mirage)...

Hub bore: 56.1mm
    Bolt pattern: 4x100
    Thread pitch: 12mm x 1.5

These are hubcentric spacers...so they have a protrusion sticking out around the center of the spacer that acts like an extension of the car's hub. This will help you when mounting the wheels to the spacers. I prefer these over flat (non-hubcentric) spacers.

The only other consideration is how long the wheel studs are on the spacers. If you have ES aluminum wheels, you have closed-end acorn-style lugnuts...and you'll want to be sure you can securely bolt your wheels onto the spacers without the lug nuts hitting the tops of the studs. In other words, you won't be able to tighten the lugnuts down enough to hold the wheels on. I don't think that was going to be an issue with these spacers, but I have seen other wheel spacers with really long wheel studs that would obviously be a problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I purchased these wheels spacers from Amazon
    Amazon shows these are unavailable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I assume you want to move the wheels out for a more aggressive look?

I purchased these wheels spacers from Amazon: 25mm (1 inch) Hubcentric Wheel Spacers

Name:  25mm Spacer.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  74.0 KB

I never installed them because I decided to buy new wheels instead. These are well-built, quality spacers. Be careful of the super-cheap ones on eBay.

I can tell you that (in my opinion) you will need to move the wheels out 1.0 - 1.25 inches (25mm-32mm) in order to lose the look the factory wheels have from too much positive offset. That's why I bought the spacers above. I have new wheels that sit out 1.25" more than stock, and the car looks completely normal now.

These spacers have the right measurements for the Mirage (don't worry because the Amazon fitment guide says they won't fit a Mirage)...

Hub bore: 56.1mm
    Bolt pattern: 4x100
    Thread pitch: 12mm x 1.5

These are hubcentric spacers...so they have a protrusion sticking out around the center of the spacer that acts like an extension of the car's hub. This will help you when mounting the wheels to the spacers. I prefer these over flat (non-hubcentric) spacers.

The only other consideration is how long the wheel studs are on the spacers. If you have ES aluminum wheels, you have closed-end acorn-style lugnuts...and you'll want to be sure you can securely bolt your wheels onto the spacers without the lug nuts hitting the tops of the studs. In other words, you won't be able to tighten the lugnuts down enough to hold the wheels on. I don't think that was going to be an issue with these spacers, but I have seen other wheel spacers with really long wheel studs that would obviously be a problem.
    I was actually looking at the 1" spacers, do you think with this size I will have rubbing issues on bumps or full lock?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Amazon shows these are unavailable.
    Geez...I didn't notice that.

They also sell these on eBay...but they are also out of stock there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281409948306

You can check out their eBay store and email them a question...or just find them at another source.

Hold on...a quick Google search turned up another vendor selling the same thing on eBay...

25mm 4x100 Hubcentric spacers with 56.1mm hub bore

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was actually looking at the 1" spacers, do you think with this size I will have rubbing issues on bumps or full lock?
    No. My new wheels stick out 1.25" more than stock and they are 2 full inches wider than the stock wheels...and they have larger 185-55 tires. Nothing rubs on my car...even at full lock. With 1" spacers you won't be close to rubbing anything with your OEM wheels.

To be safe, I would only order 1 pair of these spacers to bolt them on one side of your car and see how you like it. If they check out OK, then buy a second pair.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I hope someone tries this before winter. I will put my factory wheels on for the winter and I am really dreading having the look of the factory wheels again. The car reminds me of a guinea pig with the wheels all sucked in.
    Name:  guinea.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  72.4 KB
    Last edited by Gnarles2; 07-08-2016 at 03:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (07-09-2016),Eggman (07-08-2016),inuvik (07-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    It's a cute Guinea Pig though lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Someone should do a guinea pig wrap on their car. Not me, but someone. lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (07-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have used spacers in the past to improve handling. 5mm spacers made a big difference in that case. 1"/25mm will have huge impact on scrab radius and reduce grip. As is Mirage is well balanced, and with minimal changes capable of 4-wheel drift good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)