Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howling noise at certain speeds (Solved: bad front wheel bearing)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Howling noise at certain speeds (Solved: bad front wheel bearing)

About 400-600 miles ago my mirage began to growl and howl at certain speeds, its howling is low then between 35-45mph is very loud, louder than the engine and road noise. I don't have time to stop driving, I checked my cheapo tires 10 times with no visable issues or belts broken When I did my transmission fluid at 60k. I just did my oil change yesterday and the tires are not directional so a quickly swapped them left I
    To right to see if the noise followed, it didn't, same noise on the front right. Go figure that's the whee that was hit when I was side swiped. I need my mirage, a day or so of down time is all I can afford currently, I was looking into a new wheel bearing but it's $90 on rock auto plus paying $50-100 to have it pressed in. I did find this spindle assembly on eBay and I think I'm going that route, quick bolt on and back on the road.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-PASSENGE...762?nav=SEARCH

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Is that wheel loose? Meaning, did you give it a wiggle test when you had it up off the ground?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like you diagnosed the problem yourself, without actually hearing it, I would say the same thing. Wheel bearing.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wheel bearing should be heard at low speeds as well , and often you can feel it if you jack the car up and spin it by hand and compare to other side. I've had suspension issues that manifested as speed related rotational noise and eventually minor tire cupping. But it could also be a bearing. Bad wheel bearings sound like minor rotational grinding or scraping.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do yourself a favor and don't buy a cheap wheel bearing.

Might want to listen to the bearing via a screwdriver or stethoscope before throwing $200 away on what turns out to be a bad CV joint or something, the "certain speeds" comment kinda clues me in on it not being a bearing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure at this time. The wheel feels tight cv looked fine. Going to throw on this used nuckle with factory bearing in it. I think it's the bearing, they can make noise and not be loose. I have a lot of experience with cars and I feel 80% confident it's the bearing. We will see if I'm right lol
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Not sure at this time. The wheel feels tight cv looked fine. Going to throw on this used nuckle with factory bearing in it. I think it's the bearing, they can make noise and not be loose. I have a lot of experience with cars and I feel 80% confident it's the bearing. We will see if I'm right lol
    Good luck!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Made it this far last night! Need a impact swivel 19mm for the ball joint bolt

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4177
Size:  96.2 KB

I learned the stock wheel would not clear the impact 32mm socket for the axle nut. Lucky I still had my civic hybrid wheels to throw on there and fight it off (hammered out indention lock)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Side note buy a new axle nut before doing this! Grr the threads were crushed, I used a chisel at the edge but still too bad to reuse

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4512
Size:  89.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why would they put threads on the part you have to hammer down in the keyway slot!!!!! ��