Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howling noise at certain speeds (Solved: bad front wheel bearing)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got the axle nut fixed enough to torque it back on. Just test drove and it's quiet as a mouse! I forgot how quiet this car is, I thought the noise I was hearing was the tires, nope bad wheel bearing. Strange the test of checking play showed the replacement hub and bearing had much more play than the original I removed. When turning it though you could feel resistance and slight noises on the bad bearing. Good one was quiet and smooth with little resistance.

MB515403

That's the part number for the axle nut. If you have to remove yours for any reason get some new ones just in case.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-16-2017),Eggman (07-13-2016),MetroMPG (02-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    how quiet this car is
    quoted for truth.

glad you got it done!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

alex16 (07-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Where did you get the wheel bearing? I think mine are going out and would prefer not to have to pay through the nose from Mitsubishi for the part.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got mine inside the spindle from a wrecked mirage. I bought the spindle from eBay
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I got mine inside the spindle from a wrecked mirage. I bought the spindle from eBay
    How many miles did your car have when the bearing got noisy? I have a 15' here with almost 200000kms/that is going to need a front wheel bearing. I'm just gonna change the spindle since I've have a few spares.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't remember I might have posted it in here. It was because of an accident though. My driver side is original with 122k miles

Now I have another car that has a bad front wheel bearing. It has 145xxxkms, wonder if warranty would cover it?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Good news:Turns out the dealer is going to cover the wheel bearing.
    Bad news:they are gonna keep the car for probably a week at least....
    Took them the car last Thursday, they did the airbag recall(we still haven't been properly notified about the recall for any of the cars) on Friday then said they don't have the bearing in stock and it'll be 3-5 days to get one in. Not sure if having a car down for a week or 2 for a $30(guess) part and an hour of labor was worth it. Not impressed with out local dealers ability to stock parts for these cars either. We needed a wheel and a tie rod a few years ago and they ended up taking them off a car on the lot cause they had no clue when they'd get the parts in stock. They even have a hard time keeping oil filters in stock.
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-21-2017)

Update: Still haven't gotten the car back from the dealer. I called them yesterday, the girl on the service desk said it'll be ready later that day. I called just now, she now said they ordered the wrong part and it'll be ready today. What a gong show. I mentioned before in a different thread I'd rather deal with an ugly smart woman than a hot stupid one. At least when it comes to numbers, letters and just using a brain in general.
    But thankfully these cars don't need to see the dealer often. Hopefully others will be able to get wheel bearing covered under warranty as well, with much sooner turnaround time!

Edit: I shouldn't complain. The gm dealer had our spark for over 3 months waiting for cvt #3. Then after picking up the car the spindle popped off the ballpoint pulling into a parking lot. And then.....had more problems due to shoddy dealership work. Sold car shortly after.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-28-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Still better than a spark.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What a gong show.

My cars developed a pretty significant rattle and its looking like it's going too be a dealer run... I've been putting it off for similar reasons. I'm pretty sure my rubber exhaust hangars are failing similarly to ichobods but i haven't (and won't) be investigating it. It sounds like an old school spring loaded rubber tipped door stopper when you "boing" it, anytime the car is shook side to side like pulling into an uneven lot