Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Howling noise at certain speeds (Solved: bad front wheel bearing)

I've had a few cars come in the shop having the rubber hanger popped off. It was always the furthest forward one.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (11-28-2017)

Yay, got the car back today! 1 day short of 2 weeks without the car. They changed the lh front wheel bearing and snap ring and did the airbag recall as well. We still haven't received any notices about that recall.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had the same problem. I was starting to hate the car and consider getting rid of it due to increasing "road noise" as I thought it to be. Since it was a gradual increase in noise, I didn't see it as being anything going wrong until it started making a growl and grinding noise. I too jacked up the car and checked all of the wheels for any wobble, (side to side, or top to bottom) with no noticeable wobble at all. Finally took it to the dealership after having the wheels balanced with no resolve of noise reduction, and it turned out that the same wheel bearing was definitely fixing to come apart. it was repaired under warranty and I went back to loving the little gas-sipping Mitsubishi!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXmirageGUY For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-04-2017),Eggman (12-03-2017),Fummins (12-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They changed the lh front wheel bearing and snap ring
    Item 5 & 6 in this diagram?

Item 5: Wheel Bearing - Mitsubishi (3885A039)
    Current Pricing: List Price: $118.86 You Save: $30.90 (26% off) Sale Price: $87.96
    Item 6: Wheel Bearing Snap Ring - Mitsubishi (3885A004)
    Current Pricing: List Price: $7.67 You Save: $1.38 (18% off) Sale Price: $6.29

That's $94.25 US for the parts.

As far as I can tell by browsing the catalog at MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com the part numbers are the same for 2014 through 2017.

Behold! The dealer price on the bearing is cheaper than Rock Auto.
    NATIONAL 510122: $121.79

Rock Auto also lists the CENTRIC 41246005 for this application but are out of stock with no price info.
    Other online venders for the Centric Premium Wheel Bearings 412.46005:
    Amazon: $86.90 - also out of stock.
    Summit Racing: $88.97

Notes:
    1. The online pricing for the Mitsubishi part is competitive. I would hope local dealers would at least offer to meet this price.
    2. Description for the bearing shows it is sealed and includes an encoder built in for detecting wheel speed.
    3. Is it possible to apply grease to these bearings - lift a seal and inject some grease? It might prolong their life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

I believe those are the part numbers. The dealer didn't have a price on the invoice.
    I see prices are all over the place for parts for these cars. We bought a rad from the dealer(had to, was in a hurry and needed car right away) and it cost $6-700(Cad). I just priced it out from mitsubishipartswarehouse and it comes to $731(USD) shipped to Canada/$921Canadian. Funny thing is it's only $10 cheaper shipped to 90210 at $721usd?

I don't think you can grease these bearings. To even see the backside seal you'd have to pull the axle, to get to the front, you'd probably need to press the hub off the bearing. I have a spindle with a bad bearing sitting in a car, I'll take a look at later when it isn't dark outside.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    731 dollars for a radiator? Itsclike the size of a postage stamp!!! If they don't have aftermarket parts by the time my warranty is up not sure I want to keep it. Or maybe another radiator coukd be retro fit into this car lol

We carry aftermarket at my work, rockauto does too. We didn't have any in stock that day, it was at least a week wait til we could get one. Oddly enough the dealer actually had something in stock. You could make any rad work if you tried hard enough. I put a 3 or 4 core rad from an 80's oldsmobile in my 86 bronco, held it in place with ratchet straps. Worked great and never overheated again til it caught fire.

Last edited by Fummins; 12-04-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    Mirage videos: