Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Battery replacement (with slightly higher capacity)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Yup I've got a everstart max yellow, it's about 8 years old and still works lol. I also have a 2 year old side post ever start, left the stereo blasting in my jeep Cherokee 3-4 hours at a time (amplified) and would not have any issues.

One of the issues I'm having now is my starter grinds all the time with the added power
    I consider that pure luck. During my waning days at Wal-Mart I was filling shifts as a service writer after a couple people got fired. It was incomprehensible how many warranted battery returns there were. I had been there nearly 15 years and considered my 15th anniversary time to call it quits for a high school job based on what I was getting, so I had well planned to leave and left voluntarily so it's not that I'm holding a grudge but oh those returns. You can't fathom.

All it was was crap batteries and tires. Guys jumped their car to drive there to get a new battery. They changed the return procedures and it was awful. There were SO many. Cartfuls.

They used all the major brands. Exide, Johnson, Deka, some imported crap as sources from Mexico. Cost was all it was about. It was just crap. Their Deka sourced 68 group size weighed 2/3 of the actual Deka battery.

Given their margin even if they replace it they're still probably coming out ahead, however you're risking coming out from work to a dead car.

Tires were junk too, had some lady with like 4 kids in the van come up with some tires we carried, not so many miles with cord bulging through the tread. She couldn't afford the replacements and we couldn't really send her home due to liability. Don't know what happened (end of my shift) but it was messed up. I know a 40k mile tire probably will only last that long under ideal conditions, but 15k is ridiculous. Totally bald. Not like an alignment issue.

You want to risk it? That's up to you.

You could write a book about their cutting of corners (I actually did but second guessed legal ramifications of releasing it). If they saved $.0001 on a tire or battery they will do it. Even if it impacts performance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to man114 For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (07-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Hey man, I know what you were going through finding a correct battery, it was hell!

I upgraded stock battery to an Interstate.
    What prompted you to change your battery? Was it getting weak?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    What prompted you to change your battery? Was it getting weak?
    It was on my 2014 Mirage that got wrecked recently. Battery at the time of change was 2 years old, outside all the time in FL, never really under shade. Battery still tested fine at the time, but I had been wanting a battery with a higher CCA rating (not saying that I needed it mind you) but most naggingly, some guy a few months before - I let him try to jumpstart his car with mine. I thought he knew what he was doing, but he obviously didn't. Sparks were flying everywhere. Battery posts were also mad scratched up due to his careless battery clamp adjustments. After witnessing the fireworks for a while, I had to put an end to it. Battery tested fine after this, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that something might have been affected. So really, just switched it out to make myself feel warm and fuzzy inside.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So after measuring and some Google-Fu, our battery size is Group 85. Mine measured 404 CCA (battery not found), and the battery itself is 4 years old, so I need to start planning ahead.

It may also be group 86 (same dimensions, reversed terminals). I'm seeing photos of each group with the terminals flipped around. Make sure the positive is on the left and the negative is on the right when the terminals are on the opposite end of the battery when you're facing it.
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 10-09-2017 at 01:59 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-09-2017),Eggman (10-09-2017),inuvik (10-09-2017),Tinker1980 (05-07-2018)

I can't post a direct link but acdelco makes the proper battery. http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-10-2017 at 01:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just replaced the factory battery with a Duracell group 35 from Sams Club. I got it because it is maintaince free. It is very close, in size, to the OEM battery and fits in the plastic box. 640 cca and 95 reserve.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

35 battery group

Quote Originally Posted by DemiRage View Post
    I just replaced the factory battery with a Duracell group 35 from Sams Club. I got it because it is maintaince free. It is very close, in size, to the OEM battery and fits in the plastic box. 640 cca and 95 reserve.
    Several brands of batteries are made by the same company. Duralast (sold by AutoZone) also recommends the group 35 batteries for the Mirage. They have 3 different levels of price/performance/warranty. Everstart, DieHard, and other makes are also made by the same company called Johnson Control.

I haven't replaced my Mirage's battery, but my 2011 Subaru Forester takes the exact same battery. The group 35 is a fairly common battery.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm wondering, would it be a fun idea to make a battery box out of some stainless or aluminum? Or at least a tray? I have access to tools that could make one, and may give it a shot when it comes that time for me. I've been getting batteries, when I need them, from Tractor Supply.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you think about this one from AAP for 159.99 minus the 40% off coupon they offer every now and again? Would make it $96 with a 3 year replacement warranty

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...oup+35+battery

Or this one with a 2 year warranty for 129.99

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Seems good!

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    What do you think about this one from AAP for 159.99 minus the 40% off coupon they offer every now and again? Would make it $96 with a 3 year replacement warranty

Or this one with a 2 year warranty for 129.99

If I needed a battery, I wouldn't hesitate to do that. Seems like a great deal.