Thread: Double-DIN Dash Trim Kit...Which one should I use?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Double-DIN Dash Trim Kit...Which one should I use?

I'm replacing my factory (non-NAV) radio with a double-DIN aftermarket head unit, but I'm not clear on what I should do about the dash trim kit.

It looks like I have 2 options:

1) Use Metra 95-7016GHG Dash Kit (link)

2) Use a complete new Double-DIN panel from a Mirage with NAV (link)

Metra Kit:

Name:  Metra_Dash_Kit.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  56.6 KB

Mirage NAV Trim Piece:

Name:  NAV_Trim.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  79.2 KB

I'm a little concerned the Metra piece may not match the rest of the dash. Has anyone used this before? Will the NAV trim piece give me a cleaner-looking installation?

Thoughts???

If anyone can post a pic, that would help, too. Thanks!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're in luck, I just installed the Metra kit last weekend.
    Name:  20160710_190931.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  93.9 KB
    I would say the nav trim piece would probably give you a cleaner looking install, since it's one piece and also it has a nice contour outlining where your head unit goes. I'm not a huge fan of all that flat plastic surrounding the Metra piece. But honestly I'm really happy with how mine turned out, and I only paid $16 for the Metra kit on Amazon, and the brackets that come with it fit perfectly.

Just one thing to look out for, make sure your head unit will fit in whichever piece you buy. Since I bought a cheap head unit that wasn't the standard size, I had to sand and file the Metra piece to get it to fit. Some sellers on eBay said to message them if your head unit was this size, and they would send you one with that size opening.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-16-2016),Top_Fuel (07-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    You're in luck, I just installed the Metra kit last weekend.
    Thanks. Could you provide more detailed pictures of the installation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just installed the Metra kit...

I would say the nav trim piece would probably give you a cleaner looking install, since it's one piece and also it has a nice contour outlining where your head unit goes.

...I'm really happy with how mine turned out
    Thanks a lot for the comments and picture. That's really helpful. How does the gloss black plastic of the Metra trim match the plastic around the AC controls below? That was probably my biggest concern. If that's not a good match, I'll be doing the full kit Nav trim for sure. It just sucks that it's $100!

Like Eggman said...how about a close-up pic of the head unit installed with the Metra trim???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks. Could you provide more detailed pictures of the installation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks a lot for the comments and picture. That's really helpful. How does the gloss black plastic of the Metra trim match the plastic around the AC controls below? That was probably my biggest concern. If that's not a good match, I'll be doing the full kit Nav trim for sure. It just sucks that it's $100!

Like Eggman said...how about a close-up pic of the head unit installed with the Metra trim???
    The gloss black plastic matches perfectly with the pieces above and below. Just a little plain around the sides in my opinion.

Name:  20160716_112408.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  93.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-16-2016),inuvik (07-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That helps a lot! Thanks for taking the time to post that picture.

Hmm...now I'm even more confused!?!

The factory trim may look a little better because it's one piece, but now I'm concerned about the size of the opening. I wonder if it's wider than the Metra kit opening? Can you post the dimensions of the face of your radio?

Here's a pic I just pulled off of the web. This is a 2017 Mirage GT radio. I assume this is the same trim piece I see people selling on eBay, like this one?

Name:  2017_Mirage_GT_Nav.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  Nav Radio 2017.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  73.6 KB

Is it me, or does that opening appear to be wider than the Metra opening?

Check out this image below. This is a Kenwood DDX370 head unit with a 6.1" display. It looks like it's in a 1-piece trim kit? Anyway, it doesn't look like it fits nearly as well as yours fits that Metra trim. I'm getting ready to install a similar Kenwood unit (with a 6.2" display) and I'm wondering if the Metra kit opening might be a closer match because it won't have those large gaps on the sides.

Name:  2-DIN.jpg
Views: 2912
Size:  88.0 KB

I just stopped by my local Mitsubishi dealer. They have a 2017 Mirage with a Nav head unit. That thing sure looks wider than the double-DINhead units I've been looking at. Maybe I'm just used to looking at the standard radio in my car. I would have snapped some photos, but I couldn't get in the car because it was locked. I'd love to know the actual measurements of that factory hole.

FYI...my dealer wants $202 for the OEM Nav trim piece. I can find it online for $142. So the eBay prices seem like a bargain. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-16-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Taken from an eBay listing for the full piece:

Attention please: About the window size of your car headunit,

most of car head units with 2-DIN size: 173 x 98mm.
    (such as these brands: Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Panasonic)

If your 2-Din headunit you buy from China, the window size will be 178*100mm.

If your headunit comes with this size,
    please tell us while you place this order, we will try to ship the suitable radio fascia.
    So it sounds like your Kenwood unit should have dimensions of 173x98mm. I can't verify the dimensions of the Metra piece, but I would assume that they are the standard 173x98mm (I had to file it down because I had the 178x100mm unit). If I were you I'd go for the Metra kit. It should fit your display, it's the cheapest and it comes with the brackets.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...sounds like your Kenwood unit should have dimensions of 173x98mm.
    I can't verify the dimensions of the Metra piece...assume that they are the standard 173x98mm
    If I were you I'd go for the Metra kit..
    Thanks for posting that quote. I never thought of actually reading the eBay ads to get any useful info from them...LOL.

Yeah...the more I think about it, the better the Metra kit is looking. If my install looks as good as yours, I'll be happy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

anog (07-16-2016)