Thread: DIY head unit install for under $200

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

DIY head unit install for under $200

I recently replaced my factory radio on my 2015 DE with this head unit. I've only had it for a week so its reliability is questionable, but so far it has been great. There are several threads already on this subject, but I want to make a step-by-step guide on how you can do this yourself with $200 and a few hours to spare. This guide does not permanently modify anything, unless you install the backup camera which then you have to tap into the reverse lights wire.

Name:  20160710_190931.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  93.9 KB

What you need:

-Phillips screwdriver

-Head unit (take note of display size dimensions - 100mm x 178mm for this one) -$130

-Metra 70-7005 Radio Wiring Harness -$8

-Trim piece, depending on the display dimensions of your head unit -$16~$60

Note: Apparently 100mm x 178mm is a non-standard size head unit, so I had to sand and file my Metra trim piece to fit it. If you go with a head unit of this size, I would recommend buying a trim piece from eBay instead, where many sellers offer a piece to fit this size head unit without sanding. Example

Recommended:

-Trim removal tools -$4

-Soldering supplies or butt connectors

Okay, with that you should be ready to go!

Step 1: Start off by taking the Metra harness you bought and connecting it to the harness of your head unit. The head unit's harness has little sticker labels for each wire, and the Metra harness has a color coded guide on the back of the package. Match up the colors and labels, and put electrical tape around the unused ones.

Below: The finished harness.
    Name:  harness done.jpg
Views: 4775
Size:  103.5 KB

Below: Metra harness wiring guide.
    Name:  metra wiring.jpg
Views: 3515
Size:  96.8 KB

Step 2: Remove the stock radio. I followed this thread; you just push in the sides of the glove box and drop it down, and then reach behind the radio and push the clips to release it (see photos). There are 2 large screws that need to be removed, and then the radio should slide right out.

Name:  IMG_0001_zpsc6517ebb.jpg
Views: 3687
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  dash open.jpg
Views: 4955
Size:  102.2 KB

Step 3: Attach brackets to head unit. The brackets that came with the Metra kit worked perfectly. Unfortunately I don't have any photos for this step. If you plan on using the unit's DVD player, take the wire labeled "Parking" on the head unit's harness and connect it to one of the screws on the brackets to ground it. If you skip this step, the unit will refuse to play video as it thinks the car is moving.

Step 4: Connect the harness, GPS antenna, and radio antenna to the back of the unit. Then slide it back into place and put in the 2 screws that you took out earlier.

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  97.8 KB

Step 5: Fit your trim piece around the unit. The Metra kit says to screw the trim piece to the brackets and then put the brackets on the head unit. Don't do this, it won't fit. You don't have to screw the trim piece and brackets together. Just put the 4 white plastic clips on the trim piece, and snap it into place (or, sand and file it for an hour first if you bought the wrong size trim piece)

This took me a bit longer than I'd like to admit, but if you just buy the right size trim piece from the start, this really isn't difficult to do.

Edit 1: It's been almost a year now and I have 2 updates to give on the head unit. I'll edit this later when I have time with a more detailed review, but for now just the 2 problems I've had so far:

1- GPS card reader failed after a few months. I'm not sure if it's something I did or if it failed on its own. Anyways, the seller sent me a free replacement board and it took about a half hour to replace. It's been fine since then.

2- Maybe 1/10 or 1/15 times when I turn it on, there is no sound from the FM radio unless I turn it off and on again. It's only a minor annoyance when it happens and there is no indication of it "getting worse."

So if you want a 100% problem free experience and have the cash, you should go for a name brand with a long warranty. If you don't mind taking a gamble and dealing with a few quirks here or there, this is a great value for the money. If I could go back I would buy it again.
    Last edited by anog; 04-19-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: year update

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-22-2017),Eggman (07-16-2016),inuvik (07-16-2016),R01k (07-17-2016),Top_Fuel (07-17-2016)