Thread: Autocross?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Autocross?

I've installed stickier tires and stiffer rear springs in "Macbeth", my little blue Mirage, and have been having an indescribable amount of fun hammering it around exit ramps. (One of the very, very few times you'll find a curved road in this area) And I remembered something from about 15 years ago...

...A friend back in 2001 told me to check out autocross. I had a 1979 Mazda Rx-7 at the time. I didn't do very well, but I had a blast sliding the little rotary around those traffic cones.

Since then, I've really only had a few good vehicles - a half ton chevy and a '95 Grand Cherokee V8 - and they wouldn't have been good for that sort of thing. Powerful, fast vehicles, no doubt, but forget cornering.

But now... I have a small car with a turning radius that is just ridiculous. It's not that fast (Although, very very close to the speed of a stock first gen 12A Rx-7) but it doesn't need to be for Autocrossing. Barely even see highway speeds. Seems like it might be a fun car for that. The next event in this area is August 14th at the Tulsa Fairgrounds.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Anyone else tried this with the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Here is a link to another member that participated in Autocross

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-Sunday-(pics)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi yes I've autocross the mirage at multiple events so far. I've beat my fair share of more expensive cars, and definitely lost to a lot too.

The last event, and best one yet, I placed 5 out of 19 in h-street novice class, missing a podium finish by about a second and a half. I still am running all weather tires, but beat a lot of people running 200 treadwear tires.

Don't get all hell bent when you do terrible, because you will, and get as many rides with people as you can.

Best advise I have is when I race I flip the headrest around backward so I gain room for my helmet.

There's another guy here that races and it seems he's has better luck (also more mods) than I have, hopefully he'll chime in. He correctly stated too me, "the car understeered a lot and when your in the slaloms try to flick the car around the cones" which proved solid advise.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you want to get most out it, get UR rear sway bar. With it and camber kit it is a good handler, callable of 4-wheel slides, no horrendous understeer so common nowdays. Yes it is underpowered but light weight and wide torque somewhat make up for it, and 2nd/3rd gear will keep it in sweet spot good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes wider stickier tires, the rear sway bar, and springs sweet the car up pretty good in the handling department.. Getting the front end aligned to have some negative camber helps greatly too.. Mines at -1.8 degrees of camber