Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link System | Fuse | HFM (Hands Free Module) - Software Update

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts

Link System | Fuse | HFM (Hands Free Module) - Software Update

Part 1: Origins

I've been frustrated by slow load times with my USB memory, so I started reading what I could find online. I've been researching the Link System equipment that handles the USB and Bluetooth interface. It is provided by Visteon, which recently (July 2014) purchased the electronics division of Johnson Controls Inc.

Thinking it might be a problem with my USB memory, or perhaps how I have the files arranged, I noted some details about my setup:
    Manufacturer: Kingston
    Model: USB µSD card reader with generic 32GB µSD card
    Windows reports my 32GB µSD card has 3,439 files in 269 folders for a total of about 21 gigabytes.
    Initial load time has taken this configuration about 3 minutes. Subsequent load time takes 74 seconds (1 minute 14 seconds.)

Last weekend I submitted requests to Visteon and Mitsubishi, and haven't heard back from them. With that, I decided to proceed with updating my software myself.

Last edited by Eggman; 07-17-2016 at 02:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-17-2016),Ranny (10-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Part 2: Research

I found that the base radios in our cars communicate with the Fuse/Link System Hands-Free Module provided by JCI. Our Owner's Manual has some notes on this arrangement:

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's Manual
    Page 5-81
    Link System (if so equipped)

The Link System takes control of the devices connected via the USB input terminal or the Bluetooth® 2.0 interface allowing the connected devices to be operated by using the switches in the vehicle or voice commands.
    See the following section for details on how to operate.
    Refer to “Bluetooth® 2.0 interface” on page 5-81.
    Refer to “USB input terminal” on page 5-101.
    Refer to “To play tracks from USB device” on page 7-27.
    Refer to “To play tracks from a Bluetooth® device” on page 7-35.
    Bluetooth® is a registered trademark of BLUETOOTH SIG, INC.

Link System End User License Agreement

You have acquired a device that includes software licensed by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation from JOHNSON CONTROLS Inc (the automotive experience business unit), and their subsequent 3rd party suppliers. For a complete list of these 3rd party products and their end user license agreements, please go to the following website.
    http://www.jciblueconnect.com/faq/fulldisclosure.pdf

Further research led me to the following website:

http://mitsubishi-en-us.visteonhandsfree.com/softwareupdate

Quote Originally Posted by mitsubishi-en-us.visteonhandsfree.com/softwareupdate
    Software Update

FUSE System allows you to update your system software and new software is now available.

For FUSE Handsfree Link System™ users:
    Please ask your Mitsubishi dealer if you would like to update your FUSE System software. The update will be conducted by the dealer.

As it might take some time to prepare for the update, we recommend you make an appointment with your dealer.

Note:
    Once the update is completed, the system will be reset and the following information will be deleted:

Phone book data
    Pairing data
    Voice Recognition data

Software Ver. Description Covered Vehicle Available date
    • Countermeasure to allow music to play via USB with Apple iOS8 and later devices.
    • Correction for unexpected pause of Bluetooth audio for Apple devices.
    • Fast Forward press issue fix.
    • New Gracenote Database.
    • Increased stability of Bluetooth connection.
    • Contents of software version 18.0.0.

Note: Music played via USB with iOS4 or older software, or iPod Classic/Nano, may not function properly.
    All Fuse System vehicles July, 2015
    • Reduce the time for USB music to begin playing.
    • Simplify the pairing process using voice commands. For step-by-step instructions, click here.
    • Contents of software version 11.0.0.
    All Fuse System vehicles December, 2014
    • Countermeasure to allow music to play via USB when there are no play lists in the iPod/iPhone.
    • Contents of software version 9.0.0.
    All Fuse System vehicles that have software version 9.0.0 or before. To check the software version, please refer to How to check the software version.
    If your software version is 10.0.0 Updating is not necessary because the content of 10.0.0 is the same as 11.0.0.
    June, 2012
    9.0.0 Allow USB audio connection for your iPod and iPhone with the iOS4. All 2010 and 2011 model year vehicles equipped with FUSE System June, 2011

Warranty Information
    Hardware or software updates needed to support and/or connect Mitsubishi vehicles to non-Mitsubishi supplied devices (such as, but not limited to, cell phones, music players, tablets, laptops or other audio, video and data sources) are not warrantable.

How to check the software version
    Approximately 1 minute after starting the engine, execute the following steps 1-3 within 10 seconds.
    Press and hold (On hook key) for more than 2 seconds.
    Press and hold (On hook key) for more than 2 seconds again.
    Press (On hook key) for less than 1 second.
    Voice guidance will announce the software version number from the speaker.

Example : If the software version is 11.0.0, voice guidance announces "1", "1", "0", "0".
    Note : If the software version is 9.0.0 or before, there will be no voice guidance.
    Using this method, I found my software version to be 16, but I found it difficult to execute - probably because it was loading the contents of my USB memory in order to generate a new database. I later found another way to check this which worked better for me.

A bit more research led me to find how to access the Fuse / Link System diagnostics and update the software.

evolutionm.net: FUSE update
    evolutionm.net: Anyone know how to update nav firmware?

NOTE: Please be sure to read through these threads as they include lots of details and warnings about this software.

Details on this can be found in the Service Manual under Group 54A Chassis Electrical
    (GR00005100-54A.pdf)
    54A-192: HANDS-FREE INTERFACE SYSTEM <VEHICLES WITH HANDS FREE-ECU>
    DIAGNOSIS MODE

The following is a summary of the HFM diagnostics taken from the Service Manual.

Enter the diagnosis mode according to the following steps:
    1.Turn the Ignition switch to the "ACC" or "ON" position and switch off the radio and CD player.
    2.Press the following buttons in that order within sixty seconds from step (1).
    (1) [CH1] button.
    (2) Fast-reverse/Track down button
    (3) Fast-forward/Track up button
    (4) [CH4] button.
    NOTE:
    ∙When the "Power" button of the radio and CD player is pressed during the diagnosis mode, the diagnosis mode will be cancelled, thus switching off the radio and CD player. However, if the "Power" button is pressed while the hands free-ECU is being updated, the update will not be cancelled.
    ∙When an invalid button is pressed during diagnosis mode except the hands free-ECU update, the diagnosis mode will be cancelled, thus switching off the radio and CD player.
    ∙During the diagnosis mode, voice which is input through the microphone unit is played through a relevant loudspeaker.
    3."HFM DIAG" is displayed.
    (1) [SEL (Short press)] HFM UPDATE
    (a) NO FILE returns to "HFM DIAG"
    (b) CODE entry requested if a valid file is found
    (C) Enter code [CH1] [CH2] [CH3] [CH4]
    (1) CODE WRONG or
    (2) UPDATE XX%
    (d) Update result
    (1) UPDATE FAIL Press [SEL] (Short press) to return to HFM DIAG
    (2) UPDATE COMPLETE Press [SEL] (Short press) to return to HFM DIAG
    (2) Diagnostics & Info list
    [CH4] button advances forward
    [CH3] button returns backward
    (a) Microphone check result
    (b) Part Number
    (c) H/W Ver.
    (d) S/W Ver.
    (e) Self-check Result
    (3) [Return] press
    (a) UNLOCK Four-digit password, which has been set by the security function, will be erased.
    Following these instructions I was able to identify the following parameters:
    PN 8785A073
    HW 16
    SW 1600000

During the MIC check I sometimes noted a high-pitched squeal. I found this is feedback from the microphone check played through the speakers. It is not a malfunction, but a normal function of the diagnostics. I dealt with this by simply adjusting my volume down until the feedback went away.

P.S.: In my research I came across warnings against upgrading systems using software version 9 or below. It would be wise to check this before proceeding as I think the Visteon chart above makes it sound like it would be compatible.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-17-2016 at 04:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Part 3: Steps Taken

Following the instructions I found on evolutionm.net, I was able to update the software on my HFM to version 19.

Step 1. Download Software

I downloaded the software from MMC-Manuals.ru. Towards the bottom of this page I found the section "Software for Hands Free Module" I clicked on the link to expand this section and downloaded the following files:

Update v.18.00.00 for Hands Free Module (8785A076), zip archive, 178 MB
    Update v.19.00.00 for Hands Free Module (8785A084), zip archive, 174 MB

I also downloaded some of the manuals for HFM Software Update in this section, but none of them appeared to match the radio equipment installed in my Mirage.

Using Windows Explorer I unzipped the contents of the version 19 update.package archive file to the root folder of another µSD memory card (4GB, with lots of other files and folders on it) for my update.

Step 2. Modify versions.ini

This step was done in two parts. In order to modify the version.ini file, I needed a program that would allow me to access it in the update.package archive file, as I had no software on my computer that would do it. I used 7-zip, as recommended in post #19 of the evolutionm.net thread.

After installing 7-zip, I made the changes suggested in post 15 of the evolutionm.net thread and saved the changes. The 7-zip file manager handled this with little intervention on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by lancer6ix
    lancer6ix , Oct 30, 2015 11:58 PM
    The reason nobody can update to v18 (or any version after v9) - Is that it looks like the newer software packages online are incompatible (maybe it is a bug in their software or region code or because Mitsubishi wants you to go into the dealer to install), that's why everyone keeps getting the "no file" error.

This is the fix in versions.ini:

Broken/Locked:
    2 = CheckLabel,"JCI_DNA_PART_NUMBER",1,"2222222"

Fixed:
    2 = CheckLabel,"JCI_DNA_PART_NUMBER",1,"1111111

Step 3. Apply Update

This step was the easiest of them all.

Following the instructions in the Service Manual:

a. Using my little USB card reader with a µSD memory card (4GB, with lots of other files and folders on it) (with the modified update.package archive file in the root folder) I plugged it in to my Mirage USB port in the glovebox.

b. I set my Mirage (ES pushbutton) mode to ACC, powering the radio. Leave the radio off at this step but allow the Fuse|Link System|HFM to read the contents of the USB memory. This could take a while.

c. I then entered HFM diagnostics as outlined above by pressing the following on the radio:
    (1) [CH1] button.
    (2) Fast-reverse/Track down button
    (3) Fast-forward/Track up button
    (4) [CH4] button.
    I then pressed [SEL] (the Power button) momentarily to select UPDATE. The HFM then looks for the update.package file in the root folder of the memory. I entered the code at the prompt:
    Enter code [CH1] [CH2] [CH3] [CH4]
    And the update began.

For some reason I didn't initially get an update progress on my radio display. I searched around for it. Foolishly, I powered down my radio during this update. Thankfully, the HFM continued the update despite my confusion. So I got that going for me.

When I re-entered HFM diagnostics, it reported the update progress at 40%. After that process completed the display showed UPDATE COMP, or some such message. The update took about 5 minutes to complete.

I powered down the radio to exit HFM diagnostics, re-entered HFM diagnostics, and my HFM unit reported it was running at software version 19.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-17-2016 at 06:27 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (07-17-2016),inuvik (07-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Part 4: New Software

The voice is now a female British voice, which is fine with me. I believe this is because I downloaded the update.package from a European (Russian) server. Time will tell how voice recognition manages my American dialect if it is configured to respond to a British accent.

Several settings were lost in the update process. One was phone pairings. In re-pairing my phone, I had to delete the old configuration from my Samsung Galaxy S5 as my initial attempt failed. Once I cleared the old setting, it paired fine.

After pairing, I was prompted to share my contacts with the HFM, and I gave my permission for this. I didn't have this option under my version 16 software, which would import only one contact at a time. So that's nice.

In USB music playback, the original reason why I pursued this course, it started playback within about 20-30 seconds - the amount of time it takes the radio to start up, communicate with the Fuse HFM, the HFM to recognize USB memory is connected, and start accessing files.
    It began by playing the first mp3 file on the card, which is part of an audiobook. To test things out, I changed to another mp3 music file. I then switched the vehicle mode to OFF using my pushbutton start switch, waited about 30 seconds, then switched back to ACC mode. The radio soon began playing my new file right where it left off. This was a big improvement over the previous version.

I tried using the Fuse Link System voice prompt to play music by Artist, but got a voice message saying this was not available while the system sorted through the files. I believe this is the HFM using the new Gracenote software to develop it's new database of Artists, Albums & Genres as a background process during playback. This is exactly what I had hoped for, and it appeared to be working just fine.

So far, so good. I'll give updates as I use this new software.

I feel lucky to have accomplished this successfully. I have updated software on other electronic systems before, and I know that it is much too easy to ruin a piece of electronic gear and render it as useful as a brick. By pushing buttons too many times I almost did! That being said, I cannot recommend this procedure for anyone else, and mean to simply share my experience. Here is my warning - I cannot be responsible for any damage this may incur to anyone else who tries this update. It is best done by our dealers. If they wreck the HFM, then it is upon them for replacement. I fully expect that my update voids my warranty on this piece (that is, the JCI HFM), and I accept this consequence. If you decide to pursue this update, do so at your own risk. Beyond documenting my experience with updating the HFM software, I am unable to provide any other help or support.

However, if it appears I left out some important detail, please let me know and I'll add it.

If you like what I've shared, be sure to leave your Thanks by clicking on the Thanks button at the bottom of these posts.

P.S.: One important item to note. It is my understanding that on vehicles with older hardware & software (Version 9.0.0) they cannot be updated to version 19. This shouldn't affect our Mirages, but this would be important to note for anyone else who may be considering doing this upgrade. Do your best research and proceed with caution.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-24-2016 at 08:12 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

anog (07-17-2016),Cobrajet (07-17-2016),inuvik (07-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Part 5: References

I used the following to accomplish this update:

jciblueconnect.com
    blueconnecthandsfree.com
    autointelligence.com
    gracenote.com
    mitsubishi-en-ca.visteonhandsfree.com
    mitsubishi-en-us.visteonhandsfree.com

Service 411: FUSE HANDS-FREE LINK SYSTEM overview

Forum posts:
    MirageForum.com: "Hands free system is locked, please state passcode" (bluetooth) This references accessing the HFM diagnostics.
    evolutionm.net: FUSE update This was my main source of info for this process. Thanks to these individuals for sharing their knowledge and experience.
    evolutionm.net: Anyone know how to update nav firmware?

Please let me know if there are any other resources that can and should be included here.

Also, I would appreciate any feedback from Mitsubishi technicians in improving upon the information presented here. I wanted to go through Mitsubishi on this process, but they never got back to me.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-18-2016 at 01:43 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (07-17-2016),inuvik (07-17-2016),precisionxt (02-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you got this figured out. If you ever get your hands on a USB 3.0 flash drive, let us know if it improves the load time any further.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    Glad to hear you got this figured out. If you ever get your hands on a USB 3.0 flash drive, let us know if it improves the load time any further.
    Thanks. If I ever get a USB 3.0 device, I'll be sure to check it out. But I have to say that I doubt it will make much difference. I would expect that the majority of time involved with developing the Gracenote database is not restricted by the USB interface speed, but by the HFM CPU. But we won't know until it is measured. By my experience here, that point is rendered moot as music begins playing soon after power-up.

I don't believe fast transfer speeds are needed to play audio files. Video files - perhaps. If it matters to anyone, my 32GB µSD memory card is class 10.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

anog (07-17-2016)

Country
    Sweden
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just to add a deviation from the process described above:

I have successfully upgraded from v13 to v19 by copying the update.package file "as-is" to an empty USB stick, then the CH1/FR/FF/CH4 button sequence to get into the "HFM Diag" mode, then PAGE button (Mitsubishi ASX-11) and eureka! "Updating x%" message came up. No need of altering any file.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamadite For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamadite View Post
    I have successfully upgraded from v13 to v19
    I changed mine from v16. I wonder if that makes any difference? Also, where did you hear about using the PAGE button? Does the ASX-11 use the same radio as the Mirage?

How's the new firmware working for you?

Country
    Sweden
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    where did you hear about using the PAGE button? Does the ASX-11 use the same radio as the Mirage?

How's the new firmware working for you?
    The Mirage and the ASX -and probably other Mitsubishi models, make use of part No. 8785AXXX for featuring Bluetooth and USB functionality. Regarding the "Page" button: the audio system installed on my ASX is the one referred on the MMC-Manuals.ru site given above as "Manual: HFM Software Update (Vehicles with Radio and CD Player)". I suppose there are other Mirage models equipped with the same audio system, if not, sorry for the confusion.

Coming from v13 I notice big differences such as no more erratic behavior when using USB ("hiccups", re-initializations, etc.), faster USB loading and faster change of tracks. I also notice better sound quality in the form of wider dynamic range when listening from USB -not noticeable when listening from my phone via BT.