Thread: Hints of a more powerful engine for Mirage G4 / Attrage sedan

Hints of a more powerful engine for Mirage G4 / Attrage sedan

I have read before that the Mirage chassis can not take a physically larger (ie. 4-cylinder) engine, due to space constraints in the engine compartment.

So take the following with a grain of salt.

At a recent press introduction to the Mirage sedan in Thailand (which, as we know uses the same 1.2L 3-cylinder engine as the hatchback) ...

In the one of the product presentation tables, it did show a possibility for an ‘additional variation’ of a high grade variant, which hints of a higher displacement version in the works. Our assumptions would point to either the high-output 1.3-liter 4G19 rated at 90 PS or the 1.5-liter 4G15 rated at 92 PS.
    Source: http://www.autoindustriya.com/featur...mirage-g4.html

Aside from the physical space limits of the chassis, the author of the above speculation forgets that in order for cars to qualify for incentives provided under Thailand's Eco-car manufacturing sector (where the Mirage is currently produced), maximum engine displacement is limited to 1.3L, which rules out the 1.5.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I think it's physically possible to fit a 4-banger in there. The engine bay is quite a bit roomier than that of the Honda Jazz. Although weighing at less than 1000kg, not that the Mirage needs it.

But a turbo three-banger... *drools*

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    agreed, they should add new tech like GDI or turbo on current engine... not increase the capacity...

also
    In the one of the product presentation tables, it did show a possibility for an 'additional variation' of a high grade variant, which hints of a higher displacement version in the works. Our assumptions would point to either the high-output 1.3-liter 4A90 rated at 95 PS and 125 Nm or the 1.5-liter 4A91 rated at 109 PS and 143 Nm.

Read more: http://www.autoindustriya.com/featur...#ixzz2XwYEaF9z
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
    Follow us: @autoindustriya on Twitter | AutoIndustriya on Facebook
    4A90 and 4A91, is a 4clyd version of 3A92 engine....... and its been used in some older mirage/colt/lancer also smart forfour from 2004.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    agreed, they should add new tech like GDI or turbo on current engine... not increase the capacity or add cyld...

also
    In the one of the product presentation tables, it did show a possibility for an 'additional variation' of a high grade variant, which hints of a higher displacement version in the works. Our assumptions would point to either the high-output 1.3-liter 4A90 rated at 95 PS and 125 Nm or the 1.5-liter 4A91 rated at 109 PS and 143 Nm.

Read more: http://www.autoindustriya.com/featur...#ixzz2XwYEaF9z
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
    Follow us: @autoindustriya on Twitter | AutoIndustriya on Facebook
    4A90 and 4A91, is a 4clyd version of 3A92 engine....... and its been used in some older mirage/colt/lancer also smart forfour from 2004.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm sure if it is a success they will increase the power, and gradually make it a little bit bigger until it is the size of a Lancer. They will then introduce a new small car 10-15 years from now. It seems that is what happened to the Civic and Corolla, though I could be way off on that. I do think new civics look a lot bigger than older ones.

I'd like to see someone introduce a sacrificial 23hp car. The car would be able to get to 110km/h, proving to the masses that it was possible, and then everyone would understand that 70hp is three times more power than what is actually needed (and again, not to beat a dead horse, but the Urbee has 8hp and can do 110km/h). Then people would perhaps be more comfortable with 70hp even when "journalists" consistently call it "underpowered". "Compared to what?" I say. Certainly overpowered for Canadian speed limits - the only advantage of the extra power is a few seconds saved in acceleration . . . and most would have to spend those extra seconds working to afford the extra gas anyway. Long live small!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-10-2015)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    haha yeah, every time they release new major change version they increase its size and getting bigger and bigger...

actually i love current mirage size..... bigger compared to 1.2ltr rival in my country such as honda brio,kia picanto and nissan march. on its dimesion side it is on 1.4-1.6ltr hatchback teritory such as honda jazz/fit toyota yaris etc.. and also still lightest above all...

for engine power..... if you drive mainly on city flat surface and not a performance enthusiast.. there is no point to get more power...

but if the opposite.. i guess you will be thanks for extra power... its about driving pleasure... hehehe

and low power output not translated to low fuel consumption depend on situation and use

for me...i love to have more low end torque... so i could put throttle less, or not at all when starting car or driving on rural hilly road.... and able to overtaking with less rpm with higher gear... i don't need to rev up to 4000 for it's torque peak to get 100nm when overtaking or cruise on hilly road.

and also modern small engine with small output could go 100kmh easly but will struggling to keep it at 100km/h speed limit while climbing steep hill or overtaking. usually they gonna need to push throttle harder,need to change to lower gear for rev up to its peak of torque... and they end up burn more fuel or drive slower.
    with higher torque at low rpm i could keep it at 100kmh with easily with less rpm and light pedal push.... because the torque peak usualy available since 1500rpm and able to flat it out to 3000rpm...

i believe less rpm,less throttle push,less engine load = less fuel to burn.

on the plus side... when i want to drive and push the car faster.... it only need to climb up to 4000rpm of max peak of horspower since the redline arround 4200-4500rpm much lower than gasoline engine which is arround 6500rpm... still burn less fuel...

well i should get a diesel... lol. sadly there are none a small diesel in my country...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    I think it's physically possible to fit a 4-banger in there. But a turbo three-banger... *drools*
    I'm sure I'd read a Mitsu official saying there wasn't room for a 4. But having not yet even seen a Mirage (!) I'll take your word for it!

A turbo seems more plausible, doesn't it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)