Thread: how long do you intend on keeping your car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

how long do you intend on keeping your car?

How long do you plan to keep your mirage/g4 etc and why?

Personally, I plan to keep mine until it's dead. Which will likely be from rust. Unless I give it to my mother, then she'll likely have it until it's dead.

Why? because it's an investment that will eventually pay for itself given enough time, and I'm kind of a car hoarder.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If I don't pass it to my son I will keep it till it's a brown puddle.
    The longer I run it, the more it pays me back.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For my family, the Mirage represents part one of a three part plan to own highly efficient vehicles with relative low cost of ownership.

Currently, the Mirage represents our "new" vehicle, used as a daily driver by me, plus for business, plus family vacation car. My wife, who never asks for anything new and is normally quite utilitarian, is totally hung up on getting a new Malibu hybrid. She has been for over a year now, and she can afford it, so that will be happening soon.

A bit longer term, I'd like to picked up a used EV for business purposes. Even though I don't think the light duty towing I do is hurting my Mirage. I'd much rather put those miles on the powertrain of a used car. This would retire the Mirage to tertiary duty as pizza delivery car, my part time second job.

If this all works out as planned, I can see hanging on to the Mirage for some 10-15 years. Of course, in the likely event we see a gas price spike over the next decade a gently used high mileage Mirage could fetch a decent enough price to let it go. Never say never.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I plan on keeping mine until it's only half a steering wheel and a seat.

My family's economy moves around saving every penny we can and this Mirage has proven an excellent decision along towards that goal. Currently is used as the main transportation, taking me to work everyday, for family trips, and routine weekend commutes. My wife has an '03 Camry with 138K that still behaves very well. She uses it almost only for work commutes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Forever! This is my first (and probably only ever) new car. I expect it to last at least 20 years. I regularly drive my 1993 Geo Metro in summer which is older than that and still a great car. I'm not planning on driving the Mirage in winter, because of road salt, and because I already have a really rusty car (2000 Metro) for that. With only driving it in nice weather, the Mirage should stay relatively decent and low mileage for many years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    20 years
    No, really until rust is an issue or needs major work. I usually keep cars a long time.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    My 7-year-old daughter loves my car and she wants it to be hers when she starts driving.

That means I get to keep it for another 9-and-a-bit years.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mirage_Sydney For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (07-25-2016),Eggman (07-25-2016),MightyMirageMpg (07-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure at all. I'll be done paying it off in 5 years. I think I'm just going to keep it. This is my first brand new car that I've ever got. For what it's worth, I think it does the job VERY well for what it is. Other cars, like the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, is a lot more expensive around my part of town. I tell a lot of people to just get a Mirage just because you can find one for right under $10,000 for a 2015 model!

Anyways! I think this is my forever car. I'd really like to see how this car does. As a commuter car, it does it's job really well, especially on gas savings. Plus, in 5 years, it gives me some time to get a 1995 Lancer Evolution 3 (They're not legal in the United States yet!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (07-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This car is my hedge against future gas crisis'. I have salty winters and I plan on parking it then so it can last me for years to come. Gas will spike one of these years and then my impulse buy will pay off!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to roscoe1972 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I plan on keeping my Mirage until it rusts out. Up here with the lake effect snows and the counties generous ability to keep the roads covered in salt hopefully the car can last the next 6 years worth of payments I owe on it