Thread: hood drop - latch height

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

hood drop - latch height

I try to only drop a hood enough to make it latch. This Mirage is the shortest drop of any I've ever seen - about 3-4 inches is enough to latch completely.
    Did I get lucky and have a good fitting hood, or are these cars all like that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I try to only drop a hood enough to make it latch. This Mirage is the shortest drop of any I've ever seen - about 3-4 inches is enough to latch completely.
    Did I get lucky and have a good fitting hood, or are these cars all like that?
    Mine is like that also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Mine is like that also.
    mine as well.

side doors too, unless you close two of them both at once. pops one back open too "latched but not closed" which seems too happen quite a bit. possibly because of the weight of the door? anyone else have this happen?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    mine as well.

side doors too, unless you close two of them both at once. pops one back open too "latched but not closed" which seems too happen quite a bit. possibly because of the weight of the door? anyone else have this happen?
    When two doors close at exactly the same time the extra air pressure is trapped in the car and can prevent one door from closing completely.
    Newer cars don't seem to have the little one way flapper in the door panel to let excess positive pressure escape quickly.
    I've had this happen with several newer vehicles not just the Mirage. Most vehicles with this issue will also have unpleasant to painful pressure buffetting when driving with windows open.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    your right its the air pressure the light doors seem to exaggerate the issue. the mirage has the flapper valve in the trunk. thank you for the reminder, its another place i forgot to spray for spiders.
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 07-25-2016 at 03:27 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    mine as well.

Yes, sort of. Passenger door popped open when driving (didn't open completely but enough to chime and interior light came on). I hadn't shut it completely I guess. Never did it again.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    why not just set it on the latch and push it close?