Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'jerk' or 'lunge' into reverse infrequently - cvt

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

'jerk' or 'lunge' into reverse infrequently - cvt

Happened once before about a year ago, noticed a hard lunge when going from park to reverse. Kind of like an old car at high idle, except the idle was about normal. Did it tonight, one time. Now back to normal. Doubt if anything mechanical is wrong, maybe a software glitch. Anyone ever have this happen?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've noticed the car can go into gear harshly from park to rev./drive or when going to drive from rev and vice versa if I don't keep my foot on the brake until the chosen gear engages.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

tomrad (07-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, thought it was probably normal.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What happened is that when you park the car on a hill, when you turn off the car and let go of the brake, the car rollback a little bit, and the transmission will lock it with its locking pin. When you start the car again and put it into D, it will disengage the locking pin, but since the car was on a slanted road/drive way, there is a "force" kind a holding on the pin, that's how the harsh/jerk happen...

Try it out, it won't happen on a flat road. The "workaround" I find is that, pull the hardbrake harder so that once you release the brake, the car doesn't rollback, hence no extra force holding onto the pin.

I also noticed if you park the car nose down first on a slanted road, it won't cause harsh disengage either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    What happened is that when you park the car on a hill, when you turn off the car and let go of the brake, the car rollback a little bit, and the transmission will lock it with its locking pin. When you start the car again and put it into D, it will disengage the locking pin, but since the car was on a slanted road/drive way, there is a "force" kind a holding on the pin, that's how the harsh/jerk happen...

Try it out, it won't happen on a flat road. The "workaround" I find is that, pull the hardbrake harder so that once you release the brake, the car doesn't rollback, hence no extra force holding onto the pin.

I also noticed if you park the car nose down first on a slanted road, it won't cause harsh disengage either.
    Thanks, but what I mentioned is not the parking pawl, but the actual engagement from neutral to reverse (on flat ground, not moving).

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I've noticed the car can go into gear harshly from park to rev./drive or when going to drive from rev and vice versa if I don't keep my foot on the brake until the chosen gear engages.
    What he said.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

tomrad (07-27-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Thanks, but what I mentioned is not the parking pawl, but the actual engagement from neutral to reverse (on flat ground, not moving).
    That shouldn't happen unless your car is still moving in neutral.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only time my CVT jerks or lunges is if I am parked on an incline, even a slight one. Otherwise it never does this on flat ground. I found the solution to this is to engage the parking brake before putting the transmission into Park if you are parking on even a slight incline. Completely gets rid of the jerking and all that nonsense.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    The only time my CVT jerks or lunges is if I am parked on an incline, even a slight one. Otherwise it never does this on flat ground. I found the solution to this is to engage the parking brake before putting the transmission into Park if you are parking on even a slight incline. Completely gets rid of the jerking and all that nonsense.
    Yup, or reverse park, basically if you car is inclined FORWARD, then it won't jerk, but if you incline BACKWARD, it will.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I think this is because the cvt belt isn't calibrated properly? This was one of the issues fixed in the 2017 mirage..