Thread: Erratic Idle

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Erratic Idle

When I start my cold engine during warm, humid weather, the engine idles erratically. The rev counter bobs up-and-down , varying about 200 RPM and does not stop until I put the CVT into reverse or drive. Then it's fine after that. It does not do this in warm, humid temperatures when the engine is warmed up upon start up. Only a cold engine. Anyone else experiencing this? Know the cause? I would chalk it up to a faulty mass airflow sensor perhaps, but I am no mechanic. It does this very sporadically, so I have not been able to show it to my Mitsubishi dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Does your car show any trouble codes? Also, this reminds me of the recall for the ECU reflash.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-03-2016 at 09:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a recall to reprogramming the ecu for an issue with similar symptoms. Call your dealer and see if your car qualifies.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In response to the above two comments , my car has already had the ECU reflash performed by my Mitsubishi dealership under the recall campaign. I thought this would resolve the erratic idle issue. It had no effect. Since the erratic idol happens very sporadically and only with a cold engine, getting the issue to reproduce for the dealer is pretty much impossible. There are never any warning lights on the dash nor do any codes pull up. It's very odd.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    In response to the above two comments , my car has already had the ECU reflash performed by my Mitsubishi dealership under the recall campaign. I thought this would resolve the erratic idle issue. It had no effect. Since the erratic idol happens very sporadically and only with a cold engine, getting the issue to reproduce for the dealer is pretty much impossible. There are never any warning lights on the dash nor do any codes pull up. It's very odd.
    I noticed something similar, a 'surging' sort of, idles up & down a little bit, not all the time. Very infrequently. I wouldn't worry about it. I blamed it on the gas (who knows).