Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing a Passenger Side Visor Vanity Mirror

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    One of their commercials shows just that.
    Now that's interesting. I could have solved my problem by ordering a replacement driver's side sun visor for a right-hand drive Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Added this thread to the mods list. Good write up!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just a follow-up to this...I hate to kill my own idea, but there may be an easier (and slightly more expensive) way to do this...

Just for the heck of it, I bought a used passenger-side sun visor from a 2008-2015 Lancer (which does have a vanity mirror). These visors are the same size as used in the Mirage and are a direct swap.

The one thing different is the color. Lancer sun visors are a grey color, while the one from my 2015 Mirage is a light tan color. If you're going to buy a used Lancer visor to get the passenger side vanity mirror, buy the driver and passenger side Lancer visors so they match. Even though they are a slightly different color than the ones used in the Mirage, once you install them you really don't even notice it.

Here's a picture of a pair of sun visors from a 2014 Lancer...

Name:  Lancer_Sunvisors.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  42.3 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-04-2016 at 06:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-09-2016),Eggman (09-09-2016),Fummins (11-26-2019),Mossy1 (12-20-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  90.4 KB
    sorry was too busy.. anyways heres mine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-09-2016),Top_Fuel (09-10-2016)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow you did amazing looks like a factory job!!! Its amazing what they are made of inside lol. Thanks for the details on all this it was way cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    My wife really likes having a vanity mirror on the passenger side sun visor. So it was a big shock to her the first time she put the passenger side visor down and she was staring at a blank piece of vinyl!

No problem...I figured I would just pick up an inexpensive mirror at an auto parts store and be done with it. I wanted a mirror with a flip-down cover (just like the driver's side mirror). I also didn't want something that clipped onto the visor with big chrome clips and looked cheesy. Well...the more I looked, the more I didn't like the options I was seeing.

You also can't just buy a driver's side visor and install it on the passenger side...it won't really work. They are right and left specific. Uhh...not to mention that a driver's side sun visor is something like $80 from Mitsubishi!?! Hmm....I'm starting to run out of options.

My final solution: I bought a used driver's side Mirage visor on eBay for $25, removed the mirror from it, and installed the mirror on my existing passenger side visor. It's kind of an expensive solution, but it looks completely original and I'm happy with the results.

* * UPDATE * *

Please see post #13 of this thread before you go through all of this work!

So here's a quick overview of the process...

First, I removed the mirror assembly from the donor sun visor. The mirror is clipped and glued to the core of the visor, so you just have to get your fingers around the edges of the mirror and RIP it out. That's when you discover that the core of Mirage sun visors are made of...CARDBOARD?!?! What the @#$!!!

Here's the donor visor with the mirror removed...

Attachment 6776

The cardboard core is covered with a thin layer of foam material on both sides. There is no foam between the mirror and the cardboard core. Here is what the foam piece looks like from the driver's side visor. Note the cutout in the foam in the shape of the mirror. We will have to duplicate this cutout on the passenger side visor shortly...

Attachment 6777

With the mirror removed, clean off all the glue and plastic clip remnants on the back with a razor blade. You want the back of the mirror to be flat. In the process of doing this, you may end up removing the plastic that holds the mirror into the plastic frame. I had to bust out a hot glue gun to put a few small spots of hot glue around the perimeter where the mirror and plastic come together. You can see these spots in the second photo below. Here's the front and back of the mirror...

Attachment 6778

Attachment 6779

You will notice in the above photo that there is some sort of brown paper/tape on the back of the mirror. I learned the hard way that nothing want's to stick to this material, so I peeled it off and cleaned off the back of the mirror with alcohol. Later we will be gluing the back of the mirror to the cardboard surface of the visor...so this needs to be clean.

Now it's time to remove and prep the passenger side visor for the new mirror. Using a razor blade, you need to cut a hole in the outer vinyl covering in the shape of the mirror (but a little smaller). Then you need to carefully lift the vinyl covering up as you use a razor blade to cut an opening in the foam layer. You are cutting the foam back underneath the vinyl. It's a bit challenging...but you can do it.

Here's what my passenger side visor looked like after I finished trimming the foam back. I know this hole looks rough, but the mirror frame will cover everything if you have been measuring correctly...

Attachment 6780

Now the mirror is ready to be glued to the cardboard core. First, take some sandpaper and lightly scuff the cardboard surface. I don't know what that cardboard is made of, but I learned the hard way that not all glues wanted to stick to it. Now apply some MIRROR ADHESIVE to the back of the mirror and set the mirror in place on the visor. I put a couple of books on the mirror to hold it in place and let it sit for a couple of days (mirror adhesive takes some time to cure properly). Then I re-installed the visor in the car.

Here's the finished product installed in the car. Nobody will ever know that it didn't come this way from the factory...

Attachment 6781

BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE...

So now that I have a spare driver's side sun visor with no mirror, let's rip it completely apart and take a look at how it's made.

Here's what the visor looks like with the outer vinyl covering removed...

Attachment 6782

Now let's peel off the foam layers from each side and see what the core of a sunvisor REALLY looks like...

Attachment 6783

Attachment 6784

Holy smokes...the visor is made of wire, cardboard, foam and vinyl. No wonder Mitsubishi want's $80 for this thing! LOL...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

eyedoc (03-05-2023),Top_Fuel (12-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is the part # for a RHD Mirage mirror? Maybe we can order it oversea.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    What is the part # for a RHD Mirage mirror?
    I don't know. When you look up part numbers on US Mitsubishi websites, it only shows part diagrams for left-hand drive cars. Even if you could get one, it would probably be $100+ to buy it and ship it to the US.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Part numbers from the Euro ASA for RHD sun-visor with mirror. 7620A852HB ----> 7620B000HA(newest) color is light gray with mirror. No good state side sources unless one of our Euro friends would buy and ship. I hope this is helpful!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy1 View Post
    Part numbers from the Euro ASA for RHD sun-visor with mirror. 7620A852HB ----> 7620B000HA(newest)
    OK...where/how did you come up with that part number?!?
    I just want to know if I'm missing some interesting site for searching part numbers.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    OK...where/how did you come up with that part number?!?
    I just want to know if I'm missing some interesting site for searching part numbers.
    I found a site about a year ago that had the asa links posted as well as some other Auto/tuning software. I have the Us, Japan, Euro and General ASA installed on my computer. Unfortunately the US is way out of date but the Euro is at least this years (current as of March) I can try to find the site for you but it will require some research.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mossy1 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-21-2016),inuvik (12-21-2016),Top_Fuel (12-21-2016)