Thread: gearshift cable removal mb992277

Country
    United States
    Thanks

gearshift cable removal mb992277

Anybody know how to remove the gearshift cables on the transmission?

The book says use tool mb992277. I don't have this tool, and my dealer is being most unhelpful in every way possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Sorry. Interested to know why though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put a different transmission in my car. Currently sitting mechanically done just needs oil but going to dinner with my family.

The tool the manual states is essentially a pickle fork, and not necessarily needed. The linkage simply "pops off"

Took me about 8hrs, went together well. I'll know more once I fill it with oil I guess lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A new transmission, huh? That's interesting. I think this might be the first such replacement noted here in the forum. You'll have to tell us more about it. Glad to hear you worked around the tool problem.

Dealers are funny, and I guess I can understand why. On one hand product liability lawsuits have legal departments advising against giving advice to a shade tree mechanic. If something were to go wrong, they could be liable. In that sense, they pretty much have to tell owners to bring their car in for work. On the other hand, dealers can still make money when a DIY repair can't be done without special dealer tools or knowledge. And cars are more complicated these days.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    the swap was very straightforward. i made a few time consuming mistakes. probably could do it again in half the time

there was only 2 bolts that were even slightly difficult to get too. if you ever peek under the car you'll notice how huge of a hole there is too slip the trans out. front cradle similar too an early 90s honda. motor @ trans just hung out to dry on supported only on both sides with an arm for twist on the bottom.

DAOX was correct, there was only 1 (2wire) sensor you actually had to screw with. (directly under far right mount) andt a bundle of 6 or so wires too dismount.

Someone made mention while back of how stupid the axle nut is designed... he's right too.. lol

you need a small amount of tools, 10, 12, 14, 17, 21 @ 32mm socket, few extensions, 17mm wrench, a prybar and a good set of chisels @ small flatblade screwdriver.

it's a light transmission. i can pick it up 1-handed. 70ish lbs?

i swapped it out to remedy a 2nd gear crunch that started almost immediately after i got the car. just fed up enough between the dealer and car too just do it myself because racecar.

not sure what else to say. learned a few things about the car...

they didn't undercoat under the plastic fenderwells,
    you can do rotors without removing the axle nut,
    the exhaust manifold looks very hard to change, props too whoever does a header.

one thing im confused about its my driver window doesn't work properly anymore? no auto up/down???

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    one thing im confused about its my driver window doesn't work properly anymore? no auto up/down???
    I think there is a retrain procuedure for this, for when power is disconnected for an extended period. Cycle your window switch fully up and fully down, holding the switch for a few seconds after it reaches end of travel and you should be good to go.

And congratulations on the swap. Update us all, please.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think there is a retrain procuedure for this, for when power is disconnected for an extended period. Cycle your window switch fully up and fully down, holding the switch for a few seconds after it reaches end of travel and you should be good to go.

And congratulations on the swap. Update us all, please.
    thanks it was worth the effort!

you were right about the window, thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's why we're here.