Thread: towing help in my 2015 mirage es 5 speed

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

towing help in my 2015 mirage es 5 speed

I check owners manual says can't tow, but there is towing hitch kit available for this car, and I wonder if I can tow my 900 lb mini camper (I think not that heavy), and I worried if it affect anything in my car, and also 2000 mile trip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    There's a thread with an extensive discussion on the topic. While some members here tow with their Mirages, they simply aren't built for towing. If you want to tow, I'd recommend getting a vehicle rated for towing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Search is your best friend ��

I tow with mine, however, 900 puts you at the total max capacity and that's not including you or anything inside. I would advise you against this if I was in your shoes.

Not to mention, you should have a tranny cooler for anything like this.

Remember, this is a economy car.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Lots of people join this forum after purchasing a Mirage to ask this exact question, and we here have to give them the unfortunate answer.

Should you tow with a Mirage? The short answer is NO for people with the manual transmission, and HELL NO for people with CVTs.

The Mirage does not have the engine, transmission, clutch, brakes, suspension, steering, or tires for towing...especially the weight you are considering. As was mentioned, there was quite a contentious debate about towing on this forum in the past, and the consensus was that it is a pretty bad idea.

Now, can you mount a tow hitch and use it to put a bike rack, small cargo box, or the like on the back of your Mirage? Sure!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-15-2016),inuvik (08-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I towed my 4x6 mesh trailer from Texas to Missouri which was about an 8 hour drive with my motorcycle and a couple boxes loaded on it, total weight to include trailer was at least 850lbs. Then I drove with the same load from Missouri to Washington, which was about a 30 hour drive.. I wouldn't recommend long trips like this, but I had no choice. You get a lot of trailer wag/sway with the short wheelbase and any sort of cross wind. Not to mention in Wyoming at the altitude I was only able to go 40mph in 3rd gear for a good portion of it haha.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to f0k4l For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Completely different vehicle, but I tow my popup camper with my Ford Focus. Front wheel drive cars work pretty well for towing. 33MPG couldn't be beat AFAIC!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f0k4l View Post
    trailer was at least 850lbs. Then I drove with the same load from Missouri to Washington, which was about a 30 hour drive..
    Wow!!