Thread: C&D G4 review

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

C&D G4 review

Car and Driver recently tested a G4 SE CVT. They were still extremely critical of the car, especially its acceleration which at 12.8 seconds was admittedly pitiful. Gas mileage wasn't great either at 33mpg average. However, they did concede Mitsubishi's work on the brakes and suspension provided noticeable measurable improvements. Stops from 70mph decreased from 184 ft in 2014 to 170 ft, which is flat out amazing for a cheap eco car. Roadholding increased from .74 to .78 which now beats the Versa sedan. So it sounds like putting 2017 brakes on the 14-15 model cars would be a worthwhile enhancement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I agree. It would be interesting to price out the components needed. Would you consider changing all four brakes or just the fronts?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or possibly the tires. Tires can make a big difference in stopping distances and lateral acceleration numbers. I wonder if the 15's on the 2017 have the same low rolling characteristics of the 14's on the 2014 and 2015. I wouldn't mind updating the tires to something larger if for no other reason that a slightly larger wheel / tire would look better. But not at the expense of MPG or turning radius.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Or possibly the tires. Tires can make a big difference in stopping distances and lateral acceleration numbers. I wonder if the 15's on the 2017 have the same low rolling characteristics of the 14's on the 2014 and 2015. I wouldn't mind updating the tires to something larger if for no other reason that a slightly larger wheel / tire would look better. But not at the expense of MPG or turning radius.
    I'm sure the tires helped some. But they did mention the good pedal feel of the brakes and the fact they did not fade at all after 6 repeated stops, showing a strong brake setup. They also said the steering feel was pretty good and the handling balanced and predictable, which are definite improvements over what they said the first time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I agree. It would be interesting to price out the components needed. Would you consider changing all four brakes or just the fronts?
    Wasn't the only improvement larger rear drums? If so, that's all you would need to replace to get the better braking performance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    Wasn't the only improvement larger rear drums? If so, that's all you would need to replace to get the better braking performance.
    The 2017's have larger brakes front and rear. That's why 13" rims won't clear the calipers on the front.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-22-2016)

See also:
    Car and Driver review: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Sedan CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)