Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrecked 2015 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, sounds like a pretty good accident. Very glad to hear you weren't hurt. IMO it sounds like the car will be totaled. It doesn't seem to take much these days to total out cars.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Good for all involved that nobody was hurt.

Did the other driver explain how she managed to drive through a red light???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while. The car was totaled. I've got my crosshairs on an identical 2015 to replace our wrecked car. It has more miles on it, but otherwise is fine. I'm a bit annoyed that I'll lose the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I've been having an awful time with the insurance company. They seemed unable to establish lines of communication with the body shop that they say that they regularly contract with - it took two days and my involvement to get the repair estimate to the insurance company. The body shop had sent the estimate, meanwhile the insurance continued to say that they were waiting.

Afterward, they tried to say that the car was in poor condition prior to the accident, and adjust the settlement payment downward by several hundred dollars. I threw a fit, said I am going to review my legal options. They quickly backtracked, saying that they had made an error. We live on a dirt road, so it needed a good dusting and a wash; otherwise, it was in the condition that you'd expect a 10-month old car, with 7,224 miles on it to be - pretty darn good. Afterward, I spent four business days trying to get my total loss adjuster to call me back, or respond to my email. All I wanted to know was 1. how long it would likely take for me to get my settlement, and 2. how I go about getting the title to them. When I finally managed to get in touch with a human from the total loss department, they said that the settlement payment was on hold, while they waited for the arrival of my title, which they hadn't yet told me where to send, and by what means.

I think I showed quite a bit of patience and tolerance when I explained to her that had anyone answered any of my multiple attempts at communication, and let me know this, they title would have already been there; and that I'm not bloody clairvoyant, regardless what they may think. I'll be moving to a different insurance company when this is done. It is a shame, I've been with these folks for a long time, and they were once very, very good. I'm going to a company who has an actual living, breathing agent in an office that I can visit when i have a problem.

The other driver said she was in a hurry, thinking about something else and zoning out. I've done that before... only never while driving through a busy intersection.

I took a few better photos, one of the point of first impact. It looks like there is more damage to the front, where the car went into the wall, but I suspect that the thing is twisted pretty good in parts that can't be seen.

Name:  IMG_20160829_102150853_HDR.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160829_102146897.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  91.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DWB For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If that ever happens again with an insurance company, let them know that you are having pains in your neck and back and want to see a doctor before settling. They will have a check to you really quick for the amount of the car and maybe a bit more so you can sign on that dotted line. I worked for a very large insurance company for many years and that is the best way for you to get what you actually deserve.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Too bad they wrote it off and the customer service sucked.

Are you certain you lose the 10 year warranty on the replacement car? That question has come up multiple times here in the forum, with different answers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)