Thread: Question: cruise control effect on MPG and CVT durability?

Question: cruise control effect on MPG and CVT durability?

A member who is considering buying a Mirage sent me these questions via private message. I'm putting it out here (anonymously and slightly edited) for responses from other forum members:

I have found a great deal on a 2014 Mirage 20,700 miles cvt automatic, test drove from dealer and handled just awesome.

It does not have cruise control. Does this matter in life of CVT transmission?

Also, does that matter for MPG? If so, 2-3 miles per gallon?
    MPG:

I have heard a couple of members/owners say that setting the cruise control causes the CVT to lower engine RPM slightly, which if true would give you a small improvement in cruising MPG.

Most of the people I have driven with would get better MPG with cruise control just because it avoids constantly speeding up & slowing down unnecessarily.

2-3 MPG difference at most, but probably even less than that would be my guess.

Durability:

There's no meaningful connection between CVT durability and cruise control. The biggest impact on long CVT life is doing regular trans fluid changes and not abusing the drivetrain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wife is driving and wants automatic. .. otherwise I would go for manual. How often does Mitsubishi recommend the cvt fluid change? Sorry if repetitive.

Bob

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    A member who is considering buying a Mirage sent me these questions via private message. I'm putting it out here (anonymously and slightly edited) for responses from other forum members:

MPG:

I have heard a couple of members/owners say that setting the cruise control causes the CVT to lower engine RPM slightly, which if true would give you a small improvement in cruising MPG.

Most of the people I have driven with would get better MPG with cruise control just because it avoids constantly speeding up & slowing down unnecessarily.

2-3 MPG difference at most, but probably even less than that would be my guess.

Durability:

There's no meaningful connection between CVT durability and cruise control. The biggest impact on long CVT life is doing regular trans fluid changes and not abusing the drivetrain.
    Agree with no difference in durability. Having cruise control I will say that the CVT is much more aggressive shifting into maximum overdrive ratio when you activate cruise. Just change the CVT fluid as recommended and you'll be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cretbo View Post
    How often does Mitsubishi recommend the cvt fluid change?
    Manual says 30k miles for "severe" service:

Thread: How often do you change the CVT fluid?

And if you're comfortable doing your own oil changes, you can do your own trans fluid changes.

Thread: How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Agree with no difference in durability. Having cruise control I will say that the CVT is much more aggressive shifting into maximum overdrive ratio when you activate cruise. Just change the CVT fluid as recommended and you'll be fine.
    Ditto. This is what I experienced when I had my 2015 test Mirage from Mitsu.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)