Thread: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Sedan Review - It's Fine (The Truth About Cars / TTAC)

2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Sedan Review - It's Fine (The Truth About Cars / TTAC)

Name:  ###TTAC-mirage-g4-review.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  81.8 KB

TTAC is having a wee bit of fun at Mitsubishi's expense, it seems. After getting indignant for being excluded from driving the new G4 sedan ("retaliation", they believe, for bad things said in the past about the hatchback), they managed to snag a sedan to review anyway.

They dropped a hint that their upcoming Mirage review might not be kind: in an earlier (today) article about the base Honda Fit, they refer to the Mirage as a: "horrid little rotbox providing a metronomic experience."

Then -- haha! surprise! just kidding! -- in today's Mirage review they conclude, "it's fine."

Pros:

- OK CVT (mostly)
    - well-sorted ride, city & highway, but rough pavement @ higher speed unsettles the suspension
    - does well in cut and thrust urban driving
    - excellent visibility
    - roomy interior/trunk
    - just under 40 MPG during the review

Cons:

- lack of driver's seat lateral support in spirited driving
    - no arm rest
    - "there are cheaper and better used cars, but that’s apples to oranges"
    - do not take it on a race track

Overall:

not fun, but it’s not a penalty either. It’s more comfortable than a Yaris, feels bigger inside than an Accent, and the build quality seems competitive for the “how cheap can we make this?” class. I’ve driven the pre-refresh hatch. I despised it. This is definitely better. Not massively better, but better nonetheless. It’s fine. Which I seem to say a lot about this car. It sums it up well.
    This is the first review I've seen of a Mirage taken on a race track. Amusing.

Though I suspect it's just to make the point in a future article that the base Nissan Micra -- which they have also driven on a track, and which has its own factory-supported spec racing series in Canada -- is far more fun to drive than any Mirage.

UPDATE: posted a video of the hot lap, a couple of posts below.

Read the full review: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Review – It’s Fine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (08-24-2016),Eggman (08-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting read!

I definitely agree with "...drive on the highway and downtown with a lot of space, in relative quiet, with a warranty that’ll outlast your finance term, and you want to spend as little money as possible, this is probably worth a drive."

Yesterday, was the first time I drove my car in a very very busy downtown area (Minneapolis, going to the baseball game). Driving around, you can tell this car was made for this sort of situation. It's small, it has more than enough to scoot on to the next stop light, and saves a ton on gas. Seriously, this Mirage does MUCH better than a Corolla, in my opinion, especially with the options the Mirages come with.

Glad to see a good review on the Mirage. Because it's seriously in a niche class.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-24-2016),MetroMPG (08-24-2016)

I agree - it really is a niche car.

Just not in the same way most car enthusiasts think of niche cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5th out of 20 at an autocross...

Faired quite nice on a little tiny race track!

But I agree... could've likely got a trophy with more power. Maybe?

Plus it's rather enjoyable when the announcer said, "he runs the entire season on a single tank!" (Jest)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-24-2016),MetroMPG (08-24-2016)

Too funny. You should post that on their review!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-24-2016)

video: hot lap

Stumbled upon this video of the reviewer doing his hot lap in the G4:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-08-2016)