Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much insurance do you have, and how much do you pay?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How much insurance do you have, and how much do you pay?

It's renewal time for me, and I just contacted my current Allstate agent hoping to reduce my rate a little bit, since it's really expensive with 3 cars now. His response was "I would not feel comfortable offering you that coverage you requested.... I am sorry and understand if you would like to leave but I would not wish that coverage on any one. Thanks!" This is the coverage I requested:

Liability 50/100/50
    Uninsured & underinsured motorist 50/100
    No medical payments.
    No comprehensive on the Metros.
    2015 Mirage: $1000 deductibles on comprehensive & collision

This coverage exceeds legal minimums in Wisconsin. I declined medical payments because isn't that what health insurance is for? Obviously the Metros are too old for comprehensive to make sense. And I have money saved in case I would need to pay the deductible on the Mirage. I switched to Allstate a year ago from Progressive because it was a bit cheaper, but now Progressive is cheaper again. Do you guys think this coverage is adequate?

My current limits are 100/300/100 bodily injury/property damage, and 50/100 uninsured & underinsured. Allstate wants $574 if I pay that in full. If I lower my limits as stated earlier and switch to Progressive, it would be $488. Is it worth it? I have no accidents, no tickets, I'm female, and I'm 24 (though I turn 25 in a couple weeks..)

I currently still owe a little bit on the Mirage. Does anybody know if I can do comprehensive only for the winter when I won't be driving the Mirage, if I have a loan? I assume not, but that would REALLY help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    About six or seven years ago, I had an elderly gentleman walk out in front of my car. He was in a crosswalk, but didn't see me coming and didn't give me any time to stop for him. He literally just walked out in front of my car. I hit him doing about 25 mph.

The police cited me for 'negligent driving'. It cost my insurance company a total of $110,000 to settle with this man.

I challenged the citation and won, but my insurance company still paid him. I told them before they settled with him that I was going to challenge the citation, and that I didn't actually think I was at fault (Washington law requires that pedestrians give motorists time to stop before crossing). My adjuster told me that it didn't matter...they were going to pay him anyway to protect me legally.

We all ***** about the cost of insurance. But man, when you NEED insurance it's better to have too much than too little.

Had I had the state minimum, this one incident would have ruined my life. Something to think about....

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-31-2016),inuvik (08-31-2016),wellswebdesign (08-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Cobrajet, appreciate it. That sucks, but things like that do happen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    To more directly answer your question, I am a 42-year-old male and pay about $70 per month for full coverage. Since I beat the ticket (and don't have any others), I retained all of my discounts. I pay it every six months to the tune of $420. That is for full coverage, high limits, high deductibles.

Right now, your age is working against you. Don't feel bad...if you were a 20-year-old male you would be paying about $200 per month!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Had I had the state minimum, this one incident would have ruined my life. Something to think about....
    Agree with this, big time. Couple years ago, my wife was following a pickup that slammed on its brakes the instant the light turned yellow. The truck skidded and everything. It was wet out, and my wife didn't have enough time, and rear-ended the truck. Woman in the truck had no seatbelt on. (Technically, it was buckled, but behind her, so she didn't have to hear the seatbelt chime. How annoying, the thing trying to save your life, constantly dinging at you. Anyway...) So the pickup driver hits her head, ambulance, blah, blah. I'd never had an accident, so I hadn't bothered with anything more than state minimum coverage. We got letters from insurance saying that the claim might go over our coverage limit, but miraculously, it was all covered. It was a rough couple months of worry. Needless to say, I immediately bumped our coverage up significantly. Peace of mind that you're covered for more than just minor accidents is a good thing.

Insurance/medical bills are just ridiculously expensive. A former co-worker got hit on his motorcycle. He had a helmet, but still got significant bumps and bruises, and lost his small toe. If I remember correctly, I think bills for that were over $200,000.

Be safe out there. Nothing is worth speeding for. Seatbelts. Proper insurance. Pay attention. No playing Pokemon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-01-2016),Eggman (08-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you have a loan on the car I'm pretty sure you have to have full coverage no matter if you're driving it or not, its a requirement of the lender.

For reference, I have:
    100/200/100 (very minimal savings over 100/300/100)
    uninsured 50/100
    No medical
    No comprehensive on the Metro
    I pay $100 every 6 months

I'm 33 years old. I've had one accident in the past 5 years that wasn't my fault. I use Geico and their prices seem to be quite reasonable.

I ran a 2015 Mirage through the quote process and they quoted me $244/6mo with $1k deductible.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When the wife turned 25, her insurance rate went down by $20.

I'm paying $396 per 6 months, about $66 per month, for full coverage. I'm 28. 1 speeding ticket from 2015. Comp/Collision: $1000. It's actually cheaper when I had the wife 'under' my name as a driver for the car too. Another perks that made the car insurance more 'affordable', we have both of our cars and house under the same insurance company as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You guys should try living in New York. My car insurance is over $100 per month, as a 37 year old male.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    You guys should try living in New York. My car insurance is over $100 per month, as a 37 year old male.
    Yuck. I'm in Ohio, and I think we're about $90 a month for my wife and I, for my Mirage, her 2010 Accent, and my 1984 Ranger that mostly sits in the driveway. Full coverage on the first two.

In the early to mid 90's when I was in HS, my grandmother gave me her 1964 1/2 Mustang. Sadly, it sat in the back yard because for a teenager, in Los Angeles, driving an antique sports car, it was over $250 a month in insurance. And that was on my parents plan, with their insurer they'd had for 25 years. That's also back when minimum wage was $4.25/hr. Even as an adult, when I moved from CA to OH, my insurance rate pretty much dropped in half.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    In the early to mid 90's when I was in HS, my grandmother gave me her 1964 1/2 Mustang.
    Nice. Do you still have it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)