Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Old school" tire mounting/balancing: Anyone here have experience?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I got the sensors on Ebay...they came from China. It was $80 for a set of four. As far as I know, eight sensor codes can be programmed into our cars.
    Thanks, yeah everything is China made anymore. Probably ok, the quality of China products has improved a lot. $80 is not bad, I'l look for them. Thanks again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Thanks, yeah everything is China made anymore. Probably ok, the quality of China products has improved a lot. $80 is not bad, I'l look for them. Thanks again.
    They are identical to the ones in your car now. I think this way we are just buying them directly from the source. Here they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-4-NEW...5XNCc7&vxp=mtr

Shipping is not super fast, but the price is hard to beat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    May be a bit late to the game here, but I just use a set of tire spoons to mount/dismount tires. A little bit of coolant makes a good bead lube. And it's a lot easier on the wheels than the HF tire dismounter.

I use a hilift jack under a trailer hitch as a bead breaker - that's the hardest part. Harbor Freight sells the tire spoons for under $5 a piece. 3 is all you need

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to use a bumper jack 30+ years ago, the harbor freight work perfect for braking most beads, I just take my time and work around the tire, ususally by 90 degrees is loose. Being able to mount the rim on the stand so it doesn't move and is waist high is pretty nice the older I get, the provided bar works fine for pealing tires off is seconds. I don't know how the bar is supposed to work putting them back on, that where I go all spoons, and a little smear of turtle wax for lube.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

how to get tire on rim!

Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    May be a bit late to the game here, but I just use a set of tire spoons to mount/dismount tires. A little bit of coolant makes a good bead lube. And it's a lot easier on the wheels than the HF tire dismounter.

I use a hilift jack under a trailer hitch as a bead breaker - that's the hardest part. Harbor Freight sells the tire spoons for under $5 a piece. 3 is all you need
    Hey Cobrajet,
    I've been hours trying to get this Enasave on the steel rim with HF tire changer. Easy to dismount, and a little fight getting the inside bead on the rim. The outside, she no go. Tire spins, I even had my son pull the bar while I tried to hold the tire still, no luck. How in the world were you able to get these tires on? Thanks, I'm at my wits end.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Cobrajet,
    I've been hours trying to get this Enasave on the steel rim with HF tire changer. Easy to dismount, and a little fight getting the inside bead on the rim. The outside, she no go. Tire spins, I even had my son pull the bar while I tried to hold the tire still, no luck. How in the world were you able to get these tires on? Thanks, I'm at my wits end.....
    The key is getting both the inside and outside beads into the wheel's "drop center". This is the deep area in the center of the wheel. Once you do this, the outer bead should go on fairly easily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The key is getting both the inside and outside beads into the wheel's "drop center". This is the deep area in the center of the wheel. Once you do this, the outer bead should go on fairly easily.
    Ok, thanks very much! I'll try that tomorrow (East coast, it's after midnight and I'm wiped out!). Thanks again, I appreciate it!
    One more question.......once part of the bead is started in the drop center, did you use the tool to slide around, or pry over (like with a spoon)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ok, thanks very much! I'll try that tomorrow (East coast, it's after midnight and I'm wiped out!). Thanks again, I appreciate it!
    One more question.......once part of the bead is started in the drop center, did you use the tool to slide around, or pry over (like with a spoon)?
    I got it!!!!!!
    However............that was enough for me. I'll pay my buddy up the street who has a shop to do the rest. But thanks to Cobrajet, I am not stranded! Thank you again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got it!!!!!!
    However............that was enough for me. I'll pay my buddy up the street who has a shop to do the rest. But thanks to Cobrajet, I am not stranded! Thank you again!
    No problem, buddy! Once you do a few it actually becomes a lot easier. There really is much more technique to it than first appears.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For future reference, here is what Tomrad and I are talking about...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-10-2022),tomrad (04-15-2018),Top_Fuel (04-15-2018)