Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malibu hybrid. Purchase questions?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Malibu hybrid. Purchase questions?

Hey folks. I wanted to throw out a few questions here on the Mirage forum regarding a car my wife is looking to purchase, a 2016 Malibu hybrid. People on this forum seem far more knowledgeable about cars than those on the Malibu forum, so I'm going to throw out these questions here.

My wife is dead set on the Mailbu hybrid, so which car we are actually purchasing is not up for discussion. (I'd rather her get a Volt). We are now at the point in the purchase where we have already visited the dealer and discussed the purchase with them. After some internet searching my wife found the exact car she wants, with the exact options, for a seemingly too low price, $25,817, which is nearly 5000 dollars off the MSRP of 30,735.

When we told the car dealer here about this car, they happily agreed to match the price if they could get the car, which is only about 100 miles away. They were saying something about 16 percent, meaning there is a 16 percent factory incentive on this car. I have googled this to death and can find nothing about any factory to dealer incentives on this car.

After my last car buying experience, in which I literally had to sue my local Mitsubishi dealer, I am extremely untrusting of car dealerships. I now am curious if this deal is the best that I can get, or if there is an even better factory incentive. Should I ask them to take more off the price or jump on this deal while it lasts?

Thanks!

Rapid Rick

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Trust your gut.
    If it's a good deal in your mind then expecting better or waiting for better is foolhardy.
    Note: IMO hybrids are bull****! When running on electric, decent efficiency but when the batteries are low or going highway speed a big ol gas engine is more efficient.
    The Volt is a far better option for economical and environmental concerns.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    One of my co-workers has this model and she seems to like it. Currently there is $1,000 customer cash available and if the dealer was willing to sell for dealer invoice and also subtract the dealer holdback fee (about 3% that GM corporate assesses the dealer for admin & marketing) then you're probably somewhere around the $4,000 total for discount. Where is the other $1,000 coming from I'm not sure. Malibu hybrid is not a hot seller and GM most likely has a much thinner profit margin on this particular model compared to the standard Malibu. I'd be suspect unless the particular Malibu you're looking at has been sitting on the lot of 200+ days and the dealer wants to dump it. The 16% total discount if you can get the dealer to honor it would be awesome on the Hybrid Malibu.
    Last edited by inuvik; 09-11-2016 at 03:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    After doing some searching local dealers here in Oregon it appears there is a 16% discount available. It only seems to be available on certain Malibu Hybrids. My guess is that the criteria to trigger the incentive would be unsold for more than 200 days.

http://www.wentworthchevrolet.com/Ve...visitedVD=true

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I only trust Toyota when it comes to hybrids
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Always ask for more off. Always.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    1. Go to cars.com.

2. Search for 2016 Malibu Hybrid...looking at ALL distances from your zip code. You want to see every one in the country listed on cars.com.

3. Order the results by price...from lowest to highest.

4. Start looking at the lowest-price ones in the country to see how the most aggressive dealers are pricing them. Visit the individual dealer website when you think you have found one that's really cheap. Make sure the cheap price isn't a BS teaser that requires you to use a bunch of bizarre incentives that virtually no one can qualify for.

This is how I found my last 2 new cars...including my Mirage. Yeah...you may have to drive (or even fly) to get a smoking deal, but if you are saving thousands of dollars, who cares?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    After my last car buying experience, in which I literally had to sue my local Mitsubishi dealer, I am extremely untrusting of car dealerships. I now am curious if this deal is the best that I can get, or if there is an even better factory incentive. Should I ask them to take more off the price or jump on this deal while it lasts?
    Before signing anything, get promises in writing.

Whatever comes of this, I hope this goes better for you than resorting to taking legal action. Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    1. Go to cars.com.

2. Search for 2016 Malibu Hybrid...looking at ALL distances from your zip code. You want to see every one in the country listed on cars.com.

3. Order the results by price...from lowest to highest.

4. Start looking at the lowest-price ones in the country to see how the most aggressive dealers are pricing them. Visit the individual dealer website when you think you have found one that's really cheap. Make sure the cheap price isn't a BS teaser that requires you to use a bunch of bizarre incentives that virtually no one can qualify for.

This is how I found my last 2 new cars...including my Mirage. Yeah...you may have to drive (or even fly) to get a smoking deal, but if you are saving thousands of dollars, who cares?
    This was great advice. Did it, found a model for 23,990 several hours away. Told our local dealer to get close to that price, and they did. We saved another 1,300 bucks. Total for the car is 24,500. THANK YOU!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RapidRick For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    ...found a model for 23,990 several hours away
    ...We saved another 1,300 bucks.
    Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. Even better that your local dealer could get close so you didn't have to drive a long distance to get a deal.

PS - Noticed that you are from Bowling Green. I'm a big fan of Beech Bend Raceway!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)