Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accelerated while stationary? (CVT)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Accelerated while stationary? (CVT)

I'm prepared to take my punishment for this but I thought I heard a strange sound yesterday from my Mirage 2015 engine, so I turned the fan off and while stopped in traffic accelerated a little while braked, in Drive. I did not rev up racing-style but I did get up to probably 3k RPM for 2-3 seconds.

Of course now I understand this could damage the CVT.. is it possible a single instance of this could seriously hurt the transmission? The manual is pretty vague about the extent. I may have done this once or twice before but never did I floor the pedal or jump up to a high RPM, or even go over 3k really. But yes I did accelerate while braked.

If damage was possible should the CVT fluid be replaced or would that be pointless?

Unrelated to the CVT but here's how my engine sounds fwiw.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 09-14-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    I'm prepared to take my punishment for this but I thought I heard a strange sound yesterday from my Mirage 2015 engine, so I turned the fan off and while stopped in traffic accelerated a little while braked, in Drive. I did not rev up racing-style but I did get up to probably 3k RPM for 2-3 seconds.

Of course now I understand this could damage the CVT.. is it possible a single instance of this could seriously hurt the transmission? The manual is pretty vague about the extent. I may have done this once or twice before but never did I floor the pedal or jump up to a high RPM, or even go over 3k really. But yes I did accelerate while braked.

If damage was possible should the CVT fluid be replaced or would that be pointless?

Well you induced a bunch of belt slippage while throttling. Not exactly the best for the CVT for sure but realistically you probably haven't permanently damaged it. You could change the fluid. It is a metal belt after all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

ganzfeld (09-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well you induced a bunch of belt slippage while throttling. Not exactly the best for the CVT for sure but realistically you probably haven't permanently damaged it. You could change the fluid. It is a metal belt after all.
    OK. Will changing it myself void my warranty? The manual says only to let a dealer do it.

I found the thread about how to do it, but I would rather pay my dealer to do it than void the warranty doing it myself.

Edit: So I followed the steps here just to see what my fluid looked like. Turns out it is crystal clear and not green like I had thought. I'm not sure if that means that it's OK, but it looked like high fructose corn syrup, but runnier.

It was loaded up a little past the H line, probably 2mm.. this was after driving the car as the instructions said, though I didn't check the temperature. Should I re-check after the fluid has settled?
    Last edited by ganzfeld; 09-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Your engine running reminds me of a sewing machine. Have you checked your oil level lately?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

ganzfeld (09-14-2016),inuvik (09-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The oil is at the right level, I checked it this morning.

I thought the engine sounded loud too, but videos I've seen sound similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KlRY6NQzQ

Around 4:30 he lifts the hood and you can hear that "sewing machine" sound. Mine does sound louder, but my video is a little deceptive.. I am holding the phone right up a few inches away from the engine where he seems to be several feet back. This Mirage is brand new, hence my ignorance of how to properly drive CVT.

If the oil is good, does this sound indicate an engine issue then? I suppose it wouldn't hurt change the oil and see if that helps, but I'm only at 1200 miles.
    Last edited by ganzfeld; 09-14-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine sounds like a sewing machine too, even after its warm.
    It's not a roller cam engine (2017+ is) so I think little noise is expected

I wouldn't be concerned over revving when stopped. Nor would I change the fluid. A few seconds won't build enough heat to burn the fluid, and mechanical damage would be immediately noticed

That Just be me 2 copper coins. arrr

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The oil is at the right level, I checked it this morning.

I thought the engine sounded loud too, but videos I've seen sound similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-KlRY6NQzQ

Around 4:30 he lifts the hood and you can hear that "sewing machine" sound. Mine does sound louder, but my video is a little deceptive.. I am holding the phone right up a few inches away from the engine where he seems to be several feet back. This Mirage is brand new, hence my ignorance of how to properly drive CVT.

If the oil is good, does this sound indicate an engine issue then? I suppose it wouldn't hurt change the oil and see if that helps, but I'm only at 1200 miles.
    Drive it. Funny thing - it only takes about 3 quarts, give or take. So long as it's within the fill range and not too old, you should be good. Other members here have reported dealer service departments overfilling by a quart. Most members notice valve noise for a few seconds at startup until the oil pump supplies the valvetrain, then things quiet down.

To be honest, I got mine in March and I don't think I've heard it run yet! I've always been behind the wheel.

Kinda gives me an idea for a thread on it's own - everyone post a video of their Mirage running lol. Sorta like the videos on Youtube of people flushing toilets - weird, but that's their thing I guess. Look them up.

People are funny.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Har

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Mine sounds like a sewing machine too, even after its warm.
    It's not a roller cam engine (2017+ is) so I think little noise is expected

I wouldn't be concerned over revving when stopped. Nor would I change the fluid. A few seconds won't build enough heat to burn the fluid, and mechanical damage would be immediately noticed

Thanks for the help. Just because I want to be aware and this is my first CVT, what should I be on the look out for as far as noticing anything? Of course it feels different than my old Chevrolet Prizm, but that's a 4 cylinder and much quieter car in general. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure what's just a difference in transmission style, or a "red flag"?

On the topic of videos, I took some more before and after my commute. My phone is definitely amplifying things, because I remember noticing how quiet it seemed when I took the first video. However it sounds blaring though my cell phone. Wish I had a better way to record!

Eggman I believe you about the toilets, hell there's probably a guy out there making money reviewing them..

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Speaking of holding the brake while revving the engine, can you brake-torque a CVT like a torque converter automatic?