Thread: Power or Fuel economy: 2015 Mirage, 2016 VW Jetta 1.4 TSi, 2015 Focus ECO Boost

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Power or Fuel economy: 2015 Mirage, 2016 VW Jetta 1.4 TSi, 2015 Focus ECO Boost

In my search for a fuel economy car and Power I test drove a manual transmission 2015 Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost,and the 2016 VW Jetta 1.4 TSi, and compared them to the Mirage. The Jetta has a bigger cabin, and bigger trunk than the Focus. The handling of the Focus was pretty good (123 HP), but not as sharp as the Jetta (150 HP). The main difference is that the Turbo kicks in earlier (below 2000 rpm) in the VW than the Ford. I drove the Focus and the Jetta at 75-80 MPH (with A/C) for 21 miles, average MPG 41 and 40 MPG (per computer odometer), respectively. This is not much different from the 41-42 MPG driving the Mirage. The price for the Focus was $15,000 (last one on the lot with all kinds of discounts), the VW Jetta was $13,990. Both, Ford and VW offered 3 years/30,000 miles of maintenance free scheduled maintenance.... Since then, I have been getting an average of 42 MPG on the same route where I used to get 47-48 MPG on the Mirage (74 HP). Other than an occasional acceleration, I also value the 14.5 gallon tank - meaning I can cross the 550 miles on 1 tank, compared to ~ 380 miles on the Mirage. The Mirage is a great value for Fuel economy, but it would benefit from having an optional turbo and a larger gas tank. I am enjoying the versatility of the 1.4 TSi Jetta, but might get another Mirage at the right price

Regards

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The Mirage is a niche car, and it sounds like you would simply prefer something outside of that niche. Nothing wrong with that! Glad the Jetta is working out...I am sure VW REALLY appreciates your business.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The Mirage is a niche car, and it sounds like you would simply prefer something outside of that niche. Nothing wrong with that! Glad the Jetta is working out...I am sure VW REALLY appreciates your business.
    I am sure they do and Maybe Mitsu will notice - take it from someone who has bought 3 mitsubishi vehicles without having ANY financial ties to Mitsubishi.

Regards

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    But I wonder - are the VW rear axles straight?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So, I'm guessing you bought the Jetta? $13,990 is pretty tough to beat. I haven't found any around here that low.

Did you trade or keep the Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    So, I'm guessing you bought the Jetta? $13,990 is pretty tough to beat. I haven't found any around here that low.
    Not anymore, I quick internet search shows $14,488

Regards

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
    Not anymore, I quick internet search shows $14,488

Regards
    Yes, I did.

Regards

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Did you trade or keep the Mirage?
    Traded, but I might get a 2nd vehicle sometime Dec-Feb, possibly a used: Mirage, Fiesta 1.0, Prius-C

Regards