Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mirage engine - break in, how and if?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know when we take new cars off the truck, they usually only have 1 or 2 miles on them

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know Im bringing this back from a few months ago. What you are saying is part of a controversy thats been going on forever. Some major engine builders say play the engine gently for the first 1000 miles then get on it then some other engine builders say as soon as you warm up the engine flog the hell out of it then youre good. The truth is neither side has any cold hard facts because both sides have seen the same results from poor engine break in from each method and great engine break in from each method. I hate to say this but your cold hard facts both do and don't exist. Your experiences may be it worked but its not proven if others who have done the same thing dont get the same results. Its all a matter of contention, what works for you may not have the same results for others. Dont get me wrong I break in my engines the same way and believe thats what works but the cold hard fact is its not always true.

Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    In order to properly break in a motor you have to be hard on it as early as possible in order to get the most ideal wear in conditions on the piston rings and other related components. After a couple hundred miles or so you can dial back down to a more economical driving style. Doesn't matter if your looking for power or fuel economy, as good compression effects both sides of things. Personal opinion backed by experience and proven cold hard facts.

Ah - I see we now have 2 threads going about engine break in. I'll merge them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)