Thread: I am selling my Space Star

I am selling my Space Star

Hello,

Feel almost like a apostate (hope that is proper English, had to Google it...), but I've decided to sell my 2023 Space Star already, after about 1.5 years of owning it. As one of the biggest fans of the last facelift, I loved its looks, its compactness and fuel efficiency, but the motor's 72 hp, vs the 80 hp, which my previous 2018 Space Star used to have, was too much of a drawback. I'm a bit spoiled, I guess.

My Mitsubishi dealer gave an excellent deal for the new European Mitsubishi Colt, which is simply a rebadged Renault Clio hybrid. I saved up enough to go for the Colt (1.6 HEV) Instyle top trim level. It will be the same as this promotion image:

Name:  mitsubishi_colt_2023_1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  86.1 KB

I was surprised with the amount the dealer offered for my Space Star (Instyle CVT, top trim level) and the discounts they put on top of it and frankly, their offer was too good to pass by.

Mitsubishi also increased the warranty on all cars in The Netherlands from 5 years to 8 years (it comes with limitations, but those won't hit me, I don't even drive close to those numbers they quote), so that gives me enough confidence to counter-attack the "Renault only sell crap" folks. We'll see how it will turn out in practice.

Tomorrow I hope I'll hear when it is expected to be delivered, they think of January at the moment.

I wish had the means to keep the Space Star as a second car, but that is really not an option. As I said I don't drive that much, anyway. I'm sure I'll miss the smaller one a lot! The Colt is almost the opposite of the Space Star, it is complex and filled with features, that I'm sure many on this forum will hate. I liked the simplicity of the Space Star by the way, but am open to try and find out how the Colt experience will turn out.

Regards, Vincent

Last edited by vintzend; 12-20-2023 at 12:08 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-20-2023),Fummins (12-20-2023),inuvik (12-20-2023),Marklovski (12-20-2023),MetroMPG (01-19-2024),twister77 (12-20-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The only drawback of owning the space star is the engine power imho. Everything else im fine with. Now Im halfway tempted to get rid of mine to buy a 2018 - 2019 Suzuki Swift Sport. At the moment though, Im just too attached to this little thing and cant see myself selling it.

Anyhow, congrats to your new ride!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bnas For This Useful Post:

vintzend (12-20-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It would be interesting if Mitsubishi brought the Renault Colt here to North America. You'll have to let us know about your new car.

Congratulations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

vintzend (12-21-2023)

Today I got my Mitsubishi-branded Renault Clio hybrid car.

Name:  IMG_20240118_174749890_1_1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  97.6 KB

It's a total different beast than my previous Space Star, but first impressions are very, very good. It will take me a while to get used to a wider car than I ever had (I only have driven mini cars, called "city cars" over here).

Name:  IMG_20240118_124424392_HDR.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.3 KB

The designers apparently ran out of options for the back. On the real Clio, the Renault logo hides the camera. Here they put a plastic thingy/cover there. If I'm not mistaken, earlier Space Star facelifts models had something similar, at some point.

Name:  IMG_20240118_124435846_HDR_1_1.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by vintzend; 01-18-2024 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added second and third photo

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-19-2024),Fummins (01-18-2024),inuvik (01-18-2024),twister77 (01-19-2024)

Congrats!

This platform is also the Nissan Micra in Europe, right?

What kind of transmission?

Have you had a hybrid before?

I've had a couple and really enjoyed them: 2nd generation Prius (planetary gear e-CVT); 1st generation Honda Insight (manual trans).

The Insight was probably the most interesting car I've owned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: you're going to have to take it back to the dealer... looks like the door handle fell off the back door.

(I don't know why they try to pretend that 4-door cars are 2-door cars with the silly "hidden" handles.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

vintzend (01-19-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: you're going to have to take it back to the dealer... looks like the door handle fell off the back door.

(I don't know why they try to pretend that 4-door cars are 2-door cars with the silly "hidden" handles.)
    Hehe, my dealer was also joking about those door handles .

The button to unlock the trunk is in a hidden area above the license plate, which doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. It's far from practical.

But other than that I am more than very happy with this purchase, for now.

Congrats!

What kind of transmission?

Have you had a hybrid before?

I've had a couple and really enjoyed them: 2nd generation Prius (planetary gear e-CVT); 1st generation Honda Insight (manual trans).

The Insight was probably the most interesting car I've owned.
    This is just my fourth car. Only owned small petrol based city cars until now (low trim KIA Picanto, without airco, and two much better specc'd Mitsu Space Stars). I'm not used to have a lot of power and tech available to me, but these cars served me well.

I have a driver's licence that only allows me to drive automatic transmission (an European thing), so this Colt is automatic as well

The Clio hybrid version was Renault's answer to the Toyota Yaris Hybrid. Its powertrain is said to be way more complex than Toyota's. Not sure if I would have taken the gamble if Mitsubishi didn't offer 8 years of warranty (Renault only offers 2 years!). That said, I didn't find many people complaining about reliability issues, and the Clio hybrid is now in its second generation and, from what I understand, refined further.

The only thing I know that it has been a blast to drive this Colt around town. Really happy with it, for now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-20-2024),MetroMPG (01-20-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    Today I got my Mitsubishi-branded Renault Clio hybrid car.

It's a total different beast than my previous Space Star, but first impressions are very, very good. It will take me a while to get used to a wider car than I ever had (I only have driven mini cars, called "city cars" over here).

The designers apparently ran out of options for the back. On the real Clio, the Renault logo hides the camera. Here they put a plastic thingy/cover there. If I'm not mistaken, earlier Space Star facelifts models had something similar, at some point.
    Hey vintzend, that Colt HEV looks great. I hope to see them on this side of the pond. You'll have to keep us updated on how it works for you.

Congratulations on your new car.

More details here: Mitsubishi Motors Premieres the All-New Colt for the European Market

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-20-2024),vintzend (01-20-2024)

Congrats!

I forgot to answer this.

Indeed, the Micra was built in the same factory as the Clio, I think even on the same assembly line (it was rumoured Renault factory workers hated it, and didn't always do their best job, when assembling the Micra. Dunno if that was true, but there have been photos of misaligned components on some cars).

At least Nissan spent money to make their car unique...

It has been discontinued some time ago, don't know in which countries exactly.

Europe's current favorite budget friendly car is the Dacia Sandero, built by Dacia, part of the Renault group, and is based on the Clio internals as well. I believe that one is built in Dacia's own factories, however. It generally gets very good reviews, but doesn't score too well in crash tests, as it lacks some modern safety features.

I think if it was exported, the Sandero would've become a fan favorite for some forum members, as it kinda continues, where the Space Star/Mirage leaves off.

Name:  0-01775a2215998bf4ef9a47d46c9d667d.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  37.8 KB

Last edited by vintzend; 01-20-2024 at 06:47 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-20-2024),inuvik (01-22-2024),MetroMPG (01-31-2024)