Thread: Engine cleaning

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Engine cleaning

Hi guys, any tips on cleaning the engine and engine bay? Power wash maybe ? Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sure, but with plastic intake I'd keep an indirect only spray on that, as well as the other plastic bits. I don't the know spec of the plastic Mirage bits but I've seen a 2500psi washer do weird things to otherwise sturdy items.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Daso (11-07-2019),inuvik (11-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Engine degreaser, or even just something like Simple Green or whatever. Spray it lightly, but thoroughly. Don't get it on the paint! Let it set for 10-15 minutes. Spray it with a regular hose. That's it.

High pressure can do more harm than good. Breaking connectors, getting water up inside places you don't want it, etc.

These cars don't leak a lot of oil or anything. It's not that grungy under there. Mild detergent and a mild spray should get the job done.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daso (11-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Engine degreaser, or even just something like Simple Green or whatever. Spray it lightly, but thoroughly. Don't get it on the paint! Let it set for 10-15 minutes. Spray it with a regular hose. That's it.

High pressure can do more harm than good. Breaking connectors, getting water up inside places you don't want it, etc.

These cars don't leak a lot of oil or anything. It's not that grungy under there. Mild detergent and a mild spray should get the job done.
    Good advice. If you have a compressor and air hose I'd blow out the loose dust before applying any cleaners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thanks Loren. Do I need to cover anything up to avoid water getting in somewhere it shouldnt? Or can I just hose off the entire engine and bay?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You might stuff a rag into the air intake. I just avoided spraying water into it, myself.

If you have concerns at all, I like to do this with the engine running. If the engine is running, at the very least you'll be able to tell when you spray something if it makes the engine stumble or die. "The engine died when I put the water spray HERE". Can be a very useful piece of information.

But, on a Mirage, just keep the water out of the intake... don't spray too much around/in the spark plug wells. And don't use a high-pressure washer. There's a lot of unprotected light-gauge wire under the hood that you could cut right through with a good pressure washer!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    Hi guys, any tips on cleaning the engine and engine bay? Power wash maybe ? Thanks!
    Power wash = no

I watched this some time ago. I would never bother to doing this, but this is well done!

"How to SUPER CLEAN your Engine Bay"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM

I'm sure you'll come away with something from watching this.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Good advice. If you have a compressor and air hose I'd blow out the loose dust before applying any cleaners.
    Air compressors are handy to have, but a good one of those up close can damage the fairly weak-looking wires under my Mirage's hood. One thing with Krown oil-spraying my Mirage every year since new is that the electrical and under the hood (and under the car) looks quite mint. Krown protects the wiring AND the metal with oiling the metal and not touching it on the inside.

Like keep your car clean on the outside with a hose, but under the hood is not meant to get randomly powerwashed or even hard hair compressor could loosen or disconnect something. Not military grade-anything under there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Not military grade-anything under there.
    That's an understatement. If you've spent time under the hood of pretty much any other car, the lack of protection on much of the wiring under the hood of this car is borderline comical! As always, I'm not complaining. I understand why it's that way. Cost, weight, and fuel economy. The car is built that way very purposely. But, it's something you have to understand. The electrical system on this car is just a little bit frail. They use the lightest gauge wire possible wherever they can, and they only protect it in places that ABSOLUTELY need protection.

Brilliantly designed car. Light weight and low cost are part of that brilliance. It's all part of the package that makes the car what it is.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Brilliantly designed car. Light weight and low cost are part of that brilliance. It's all part of the package that makes the car what it is.
    Understatement ya true eh Loren.

I like my base model, manual Mirage for its honesty. My one friend commented when I first got my car, that there is no chrome on the car. The looks have aged well, and to me I feel my 2014 looks better than the 2019/20's. Not that the new ones look bad, my taste is more simple and understated.

I haven't done a thing cleaning or anything otherwise under my hood, except monitor my oil, and top up my windshield washer fluid and with my funnel.

Seems like half the electrical under the hood of my Mirage, is located right next to the windshield washer fluid filler, and tank. Space savings items galore inside the car, and no Mirages* or other Mitsubishis have enough legroom for me and being 6'2.. though headroom is fine in all their cars in their lineup.

I have spent a lot of time at the dealer over my car over the years just life. Sat in a lot of Mitsubishi models, and had 2 loaner cars Mitsu and not Mirage's. No legroom in RVR or Lancer.Name:  new rims.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  61.1 KB

*no legroom in the Mirage to the point I hit stuff under the dash with my foot, steering wheel half in my knee and thigh. And and also even the Outlander 7 seater PHEV.. not enough room for me. Sunroof and I tilt my head

Last edited by dspace9; 11-08-2019 at 06:22 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Loren (11-08-2019)