Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Battery Longevity

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Wally, years ago batteries were made with PbSb plates, nowadays with PbCa plates. These modern "with calcium" batteries need higher charging voltages, roughly one volt higher.
    Some modern battery chargers take this in account and charge with correct voltage, higher than years ago.
    If you want to clean "gas" the plus plates from phosphate with a constant voltage PSU, fully charge it with a regular charger first, then apply an external voltage of roughly 16V via a resistor to limit the current for protecting the PSU. The filament of a headlight bulb is resistor enough. Leave it on for 12-24 hours.
    If you want to read more on this topic, see Wikipedia:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starterbatterie
    That link is in German, unfortunately the English version of the same topic has very much less info.

I have been using this 12/24V 10A charger for a few years, and it has the correct voltage for todays batteries.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/314139972892...Bk9SR-qstda-Yg
    That charger is 16 Euros or so? cripes, cheap or what.
    I have the 10A version of this https://www.ebay.de/itm/314504751423...75.c101224.m-1 and I'm pleased at the versatility it has.

When you say older chargers were lower voltage how much older are you thinking? I also have several expensive Ctek chargers I'm not willing to scrap or sell as they are robust, tank built, reliable, IP67x and I have never had an issue in the 13-15 years I have owned them.

I'll use google translate to read the DE page, thanks

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    That charger is 16 Euros or so? cripes, cheap or what.
    I have the 10A version of this https://www.ebay.de/itm/314504751423...75.c101224.m-1 and I'm pleased at the versatility it has.

When you say older chargers were lower voltage how much older are you thinking? I also have several expensive Ctek chargers I'm not willing to scrap or sell as they are robust, tank built, reliable, IP67x and I have never had an issue in the 13-15 years I have owned them.

I'll use google translate to read the DE page, thanks

That charger is quite similar to mine, excellent for today's Lead-Calcium batteries. And yes, it was dirt cheap!

There are are/were a few CTEK chargers at work, for keepng 24V batteries in running condition on TV OB-trucks waiting for their next job. Most of those CTEK have been replaced over the years with superior and much more expensive Victron chargers because most CTEK's went out of order.

How much older a charger needs to be to be built for the older battery sort? It depends on the manufacturer. Some are made for the old abandoned specs even today, while other brands converted to the newer type specs decades ago. Generally speaking, the chinese engineered and branded chargers are usually up to par. Just "made in China" chargers were often western engineered to antique specs.
    If you want to work through that Wikipedia link with google translate, it will be a large task. There is a whole lot of info there, so it may seem worth it. The voltages, plate alloys, etc and much more are all well explained.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car was built November 2014 so just shy of 9 years old and still going. Longest lasting battery I've ever had.
    If it's reasonably priced I'm going to buy a direct factory replacement when it dies, only other battery ide consider over it is a lithium but they are still too much $.

Has anyone bought a factory replacement from Mitsubishi?
    If so what did it cost, and did you get the exact same battery?

The tag is on the pillar when you open the driver's door in case anyone's wondering
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 08-25-2023 at 11:39 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Similar - The Lexus I have came with a Panasonic battery. It lasted a long time too. About 7 years seems like. I wanted to buy that exact Panasonic, but it was either not procurable or no longer being produced. Which stank because it had a right perdy case too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Similar - The Lexus I have came with a Panasonic battery. It lasted a long time too. About 7 years seems like. I wanted to buy that exact Panasonic, but it was either not procurable or no longer being produced. Which stank because it had a right perdy case too.
    My guess is Mitsubishi dealers aren't going to stock factory OEM batteries. I doubt they are even available to them.

I have been impressed with my Mirage factory battery, too. Especially, because it has a wimpy 356 CCA rating.

For my area, Blain's Farm & Fleet Platinum or Gold series batteries would be my first pick (value-wise).

Walmart's 3 options for group 35 size batteries would be my plan B.

Everstart batteries performed well in the Project Farm's car battery tests. After watching that, I wouldn't pay extra for the same battery that has a different brand sticker slapped on it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    If you've got a battery that's 9 years old, I would have it load tested before I relied on that thing to start my car for a 10th winter season in the Midwest. Maybe it's just my good luck that I always seem to be replacing car batteries in a dimly-lit parking lot when it's 0F and a 40mph wind is blowing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you've got a battery that's 9 years old, I would have it load tested before I relied on that thing to start my car for a 10th winter season in the Midwest. Maybe it's just my good luck that I always seem to be replacing car batteries in a dimly-lit parking lot when it's 0F and a 40mph wind is blowing.
    The little lithium power packs are nice to have. I bought a small one (not much larger than my smartphone, & I have been impressed with it. Some aren't that expensive. I bought a simple $50 one (EverStart 600 Peak Amp 12-Volt Automotive Lithium Ion Jump Starter and Portable Power Pack EL224) @ Walmart. It's about $65 now, but still cheap insurance.

I bought mine for my Kawasaki Mule, but I have 6 other items with batteries & starters. There are times when I do a lot of short trips with my Mule. Take out the trash cans, move a pile of wood, etc... I start it, move it, but it doesn't run for long periods of time to recharge the battery.

If one of my Honda ATVs is dead, I can kick start them. I don't have that option with my Mule. I could just jump start it, but if I'm deep into my woods that means walking home, driving back with another machine & jumper cables, & then it takes another trip to walk back & get the 2nd machine. It becomes a long ordeal that's a PIA. Pulling out the Lithium jump starter is so much easier.

If I take a long road trip or the weather is nasty, i throw it in the vehicle I am driving that day. I always carry jumper cables in my car, but that still requires someone's help.

It started someone's dead Mercury Sable that had sat for a couple winter months last winter. I feel confident it would start my Mirage with a dead battery. It starts a Mule with ease!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    If it's reasonably priced I'm going to buy a direct factory replacement when it dies, only other battery ide consider over it is a lithium but they are still too much $.

Impressive that your battery has lasted so long!

Good luck finding the original battery that was shipped with these cars. I'm not sure if Mitsubishi has changed suppliers over the years, but I'm reasonably certain that yours is the Hitachi branded one.

Here is a thread I started a few years ago with more info on the subject:
    Battery Size and Replacement
    Give it a read over, there's lots of good contributions in the replies.

Best wishes on your new battery search.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    !

Good luck finding the original battery that was shipped with these cars. ch.
    I think you're right - better off trying to find it on my own. I'll check the link out

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    My car was built November 2014 so just shy of 9 years old and still going. Longest lasting battery I've ever had.

If so what did it cost, and did you get the exact same battery?

The tag is on the pillar when you open the driver's door in case anyone's wondering
    If your 9-year old Hitachi battery is getting weak, you could try to revitalize it by charging it with 15.5-16.5 Volts for at least 12 hours. The acid will produce bubbles and thereby clean the plus plates. Thereafter, check fluid level and top it up if needed. You may have a good chance it will work a few more years, even though it is 9 already.

If you want the same brand battery again (Hitachi) but can't find one, you could try finding one from Yuasa, the other first-class Japanese battery.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-26-2023)