Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Battery Longevity

Don't spark around that boiling battery. I had a bit of an explosion a couple years ago. Blew the top right off the battery, thankfully that's when we had to wear those face diapers and it absorbed most of the acid. I was trying to charge some battery's quickly and didn't turn off or unplug the charger before unhooking the clamps at the battery. It sparked and **** hit the ceiling. In almost 30 years of charging all sorts of 6-12 volt batteries and knowing/hearing about what could happen, I finally saw it first hand. If you overcharge a battery enough that it starts to stink gtf outta there and kill the power to the charger. That's far from my proudest moment but don't want to see someone blow their face off doing something like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-31-2023),BigMW (08-28-2023),mohammad (09-02-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I know this is rather unorthodox, but you guys had me worried about my battery. For camping we usually carry a spare car battery and use an inverter to run anything we want to run, then charge the battery at home. I was debating buying a jump pack but consequently the spare battery is almost always rolling around in my car anyway. Decided to make a semi-permanent mount and run a wire too it from my car battery.

The idea is I can charge the battery using my alternator instead of having to lug the battery around, and if i ever need a jumpstart I have a set of good cables i always carry so just jump myself. Wouldnt trust trying to start the car using the cable i ran its a little thin. I have 2x 50A fuses, 1 at each battery for arc out protection, also so i can isolate my camping battery from the rest of the car by pulling a fuse and just pop it in to charge the camping battery using the car alternator. This is also a whole lot safer than just the battery rolling around unprotected like it usually does.

Later on i want to mount my inverter inside the back door and wire in an extension cord
    This cost me $8 (had to buy one of the inline fuses) and its going to be a good fit for my needs, i dont have kids so losing the back foot well is irrelevant, and theres enough room someone could ride back there anyway.
    Yes the negative cable is also red, please dont tell mom.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-30-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you've got a battery that's 9 years old, I would have it load tested before I relied on that thing to start my car for a 10th winter season in the Midwest. Maybe it's just my good luck that I always seem to be replacing car batteries in a dimly-lit parking lot when it's 0F and a 40mph wind is blowing.
    Been there too many times then I discovered LiOn boosters. I have a 600 & 800 A. They have never let me down.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Don't spark around that boiling battery. I had a bit of an explosion a couple years ago. Blew the top right off the battery, thankfully that's when we had to wear those face diapers and it absorbed most of the acid. I was trying to charge some battery's quickly and didn't turn off or unplug the charger before unhooking the clamps at the battery. It sparked and **** hit the ceiling. In almost 30 years of charging all sorts of 6-12 volt batteries and knowing/hearing about what could happen, I finally saw it first hand. If you overcharge a battery enough that it starts to stink gtf outta there and kill the power to the charger. That's far from my proudest moment but don't want to see someone blow their face off doing something like that.
    My buddy learned the hard way not to charge his multiple deep cycle Marine batteries in his furnace room. He's very lucky the battery explosion didn't tear the natural gas lines open.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    So I know this is rather unorthodox, but you guys had me worried about my battery. For camping we usually carry a spare car battery and use an inverter to run anything we want to run, then charge the battery at home. I was debating buying a jump pack but consequently the spare battery is almost always rolling around in my car anyway. Decided to make a semi-permanent mount and run a wire too it from my car battery.

The idea is I can charge the battery using my alternator instead of having to lug the battery around, and if i ever need a jumpstart I have a set of good cables i always carry so just jump myself. Wouldnt trust trying to start the car using the cable i ran its a little thin. I have 2x 50A fuses, 1 at each battery for arc out protection, also so i can isolate my camping battery from the rest of the car by pulling a fuse and just pop it in to charge the camping battery using the car alternator. This is also a whole lot safer than just the battery rolling around unprotected like it usually does.

Later on i want to mount my inverter inside the back door and wire in an extension cord
    This cost me $8 (had to buy one of the inline fuses) and its going to be a good fit for my needs, i dont have kids so losing the back foot well is irrelevant, and theres enough room someone could ride back there anyway.
    Yes the negative cable is also red, please dont tell mom.
    I did a similarish thing in my side by side. I use a deep cycle battery to power one of those chinese diesel heater to heat my tent. I put the deep cycle battery on the rear foot well and ran cables from the main battery to it. I used a cheapo quick connect connector like this https://amzn.to/45SPhwv . When I set up camp I take the battery out and hook it up to the heater. I don't sleep in or near the side by side so taking the battery out easily is necessary for me. I have a huge amg battery in the side by side too so have no worries about leaving the key on while stopped to charge cameras or other crap and the battery dying. Though I carry booster cables in every vehicle(I think).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (09-01-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    My car was built November 2014 so just shy of 9 years old and still going. Longest lasting battery I've ever had.
    If it's reasonably priced I'm going to buy a direct factory replacement when it dies, only other battery ide consider over it is a lithium but they are still too much $.

Has anyone bought a factory replacement from Mitsubishi?
    If so what did it cost, and did you get the exact same battery?

The tag is on the pillar when you open the driver's door in case anyone's wondering
    So did you get a new battery? Winter is on its way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)