Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who manufactures the (F5MDB) manual transmission in the 1.2L Mirage? (Update: Aisin)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Who manufactures the (F5MDB) manual transmission in the 1.2L Mirage? (Update: Aisin)

I'm looking to find the manufacturer of the F5MDB manual transmission in the 1.2L Mirage hatch. What I want to do is contact the manufacturer and see if there are any other cars sharing the same manual transmission as our cars.

Why? I'm working on something that would benefit all Mirage owners who like to track or autocross with their cars. And maybe even those that Rally them as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Best I can tell is this is something made by Mitsubishi.

After a quick search I found a couple of great threads that discuss the transmission:

Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)
    lowering the final drive, aka "nerd gear" for better fuel economy/MPG

In the second listed thread is a post I think you might find useful:
    here's the guide, "f5mbd" is our transmission code. there's a complete rebuild guide in there.

Gratitude to MightyMirageMPG for sharing this rebuild guide.

I hope that helps. Looking forward to reading more about your endeavor here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. I did find that post yesterday but it doesn't quite have the information I'm looking for. It could be that the F5MDB is a Mitsubishi unit, but, being that they were trying to keep manufacturing costs as low as possible on the car due to being a cheap commuter vehicle and not much else in stock form. Because of this it seems likely to me that the transmission is an off the shelf unit used in other cars as well. Take the CVT variant for example, its an off the shelf unit used in other cars such as small Nissans and such.

I'm thinking someone like Aisin possibly builds the transmission for Mitsubishi and then Mitsubishi puts its own part number on the piece. That is usually the case on cheap to buy cars like this and its what I'm trying to find out.

I called Aisin but the person I spoke to over the phone didn't seem very interested in helping me figure anything out.

Note: I do search before I post. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I don't (that's what someone else thought on another post I started) try to search for the information I'm looking for before starting an all new post asking something to the forum members.

Thanks for the reply.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tarmac Meister For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-02-2016),mitsumi (10-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac Meister View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I did find that post yesterday but it doesn't quite have the information I'm looking for. It could be that the F5MDB is a Mitsubishi unit, but, being that they were trying to keep manufacturing costs as low as possible on the car due to being a cheap commuter vehicle and not much else in stock form. Because of this it seems likely to me that the transmission is an off the shelf unit used in other cars as well. Take the CVT variant for example, its an off the shelf unit used in other cars such as small Nissans and such.

I'm thinking someone like Aisin possibly builds the transmission for Mitsubishi and then Mitsubishi puts its own part number on the piece. That is usually the case on cheap to buy cars like this and its what I'm trying to find out.

I called Aisin but the person I spoke to over the phone didn't seem very interested in helping me figure anything out.
    I hear what you're saying. I would expect a Google search to turn up more info, but I haven't seen this transmission associated with any other model car - yet.

Note: I do search before I post. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I don't (that's what someone else thought on another post I started) try to search for the information I'm looking for before starting an all new post asking something to the forum members.

Thanks for the reply.
    No worries. I haven't been around this forum from it's inception, but I've read through a bunch of posts. If I can recall some little bit that might be of use, I'll try to dig it up (time permitting.)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm looking to find the manufacturer of the F5MDB manual transmission in the 1.2L Mirage hatch. What I want to do is contact the manufacturer and see if there are any other cars sharing the same manual transmission as our cars.

Why? I'm working on something that would benefit all Mirage owners who like to track or autocross with their cars. And maybe even those that Rally them as well.
    http://www.aisin-ai.co.jp/english/products/ff.html

Bottom left...looks like our unit?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    http://www.aisin-ai.co.jp/english/products/ff.html

Bottom left...looks like our unit?
    Interesting! Wikipedia lists the Aisin BC5 for the Toyota Yaris/Vitz The gear ratios appear slightly different.

Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    5-speed manual (F5MDB)[/B]

1st - 3.545
    2nd - 1.913
    3rd - 1.310
    4th - 0.973
    5th - 0.804

Reverse - 3.214

Final drive - 4.055

yarisworld.com: gear ratios?
    Quote Originally Posted by yarisworld.com: gear ratios?
    From http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252

Gear Ratios

5-Speed Manual Transmission

1st: 3.545 2nd: 1.904 3rd: 1.310 4th: 0.969 5th: 0.815 Final Drive: 3.722
    Reverse: 3.250
    Another Wikipedia entry lists different manual transmissions for the Yaris with different gear ratios.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-03-2016 at 12:57 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think its the same transmission as the mini cooper 5 spd if so then it a Getrag transmission there are a lot of lsd available for it, the ralliart colt used a Getrag F5MGB, and the mirage transmission is a F5MDB, these year colts had a 3a91 engine in the base model
    Last edited by Rahtid; 10-04-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    I think its the same transmission as the mini cooper 5 spd if so then it a Getrag transmission
    Interesting. Do you have any links for further reading?

If we do find the answer to this question, and find out that it's used in other vehicles, it may turn into a source for a taller final drive gear or 5th gear set for the hardcore fuel economy nerds among us.

I could send a message to Mitsu's PR rep. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can anyone with the 5-speed look over there transmission? One picture I saw of the Mitsubishi Colt gearbox shows it stamped with both the Mitsubishi and Getrag logos.

However, Aisin does claim to manufacture the Mirage/Attrage 5-speed.