Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS box/antenna on dash (2017 Mirage) - why? (SOLVED)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live4redline View Post
    Curious also. Mine has it and I wish they would have built a space for it to sink into the dash or clip in. The voice microphone for my G4 is also mounted on top the steering column and that's anouther one I wish they would have rethought.
    It costs more to run wires up to the overhead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Curious also. Mine has it and I wish they would have built a space for it to sink into the dash or clip in. The voice microphone for my G4 is also mounted on top the steering column and that's anouther one I wish they would have rethought.
    I don't know what they were thinking with the bluetooth microphone as the 2014-2015 had it nicely integrated into the headliner. The new version looks like they built the car, then remembered they didn't put in a microphone and stuck it the first place they looked. It heard someone at the dealership say they thought it was because of wind noise on the headliner based mic and something about the placement on the steering column had better pickup with lower background noise. Who knows if that's true or not as it was back when they got the first batch and I pointed out the new microphone placement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    That's definitely an unusual location for the microphone. You would think if it was an issue with the old location (I have it and never had an issue) they would have just reprogrammed the software to ignore harmonics in the road noise range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    it looks an awful lot like the gps modules used by "pay here" car lots to remotely shut down cars for repo-ing.
    Ha! Of course the 2017 G4 loaner I'm driving has this GPS antenna in the corner of the dash too.

I told someone who asked about it: "I just assume it's there so Mitsubishi can keep tabs on exactly where & how fast its press fleet cars are being driven."

Does that make me paranoid?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting, they don't want to put the Antenna where the 2014/2015 GPS Antenna goes, inside the dash on top of the center vent. See picture of the OEM antenna on the Mitsubishi Navigation Unit.

Name:  IMG_6896.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  83.5 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wmo168 For This Useful Post:

craigq (07-15-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    Interesting, they don't want to put the Antenna where the 2014/2015 GPS Antenna goes, inside the dash on top of the center vent. See picture of the OEM antenna on the Mitsubishi Navigation Unit.

Name:  IMG_6896.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  83.5 KB
    maybe they discovered that the GPS antenna has better reception in that area instead of under the dash in cars w/ metallic tints like V-Kool.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    maybe they discovered that the GPS antenna has better reception in that area instead of under the dash in cars w/ metallic tints like V-Kool.
    i did try moving the GPS antenna last week because i wanted to see if it can acquire signal faster on a much open space but when i moved it on the center console, near the steering aand from the front most of the dashboard it doesnt seem to get any signal but when i put it back to whereit was installed the signal goes up. just feel very wierd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I also have placed the GPS antenna in the area as in Post #4.

Name:  GPS Antenna Location.JPG
Views: 1368
Size:  93.0 KB

From there I could move it out of the car and attach it to the body when and if necessary. My GPS reception was severely degraded that I can't get a fix when I had my V-Kool tint installed.

Name:  GPS Antenna concealed under the dash mat.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  94.7 KB

It is concealed under my DashMat. BTW, the stock GPS antenna sensitivity is poor compared to aftermarket antennas available at eBay and AliExpress