Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage in CR's Top 10 most fuel efficient cars tested. They still hate it.

Mirage in CR's Top 10 most fuel efficient cars tested. They still hate it.

Name:  consumerreports.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  27.5 KB

The Mirage is the only non-hybrid on CR's list of the top 10 most fuel-efficient 2017 cars tested.

CR ranks the cars by MPG observed in their own testing, not by the EPA ratings:

Consumer Reports’ fuel-economy tests are conducted on our track and on public roads. Testers splice a precise fuel meter into each test car’s fuel line to measure how much gas is consumed. Each car is then run through highway and city drive loops, with each performed multiple times by two drivers.

The city test is conducted on a loop that’s set up on our track to reflect driving in a suburban area. It’s marked so that a driver must maintain specific speeds in certain sections and stop the car at specific points for set idling times. Highway mpg is measured by driving on a particular stretch of sparsely used freeway near our test track at a steady pace of 65 mph. Each driver runs the test in both directions to compensate for wind and the slight difference in grade.

Our raw results are corrected for temperature using a formula established by the Society of Automotive Engineers.

But we don’t test if it’s too hot, too cold, too wet, or too windy. Our overall mpg is a weighted composite of city and highway mpg measurements.

Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...-gap/index.htm
    Yet despite being the least expensive to buy, with the lowest cost of ownership and the longest warranty, CR still slams the Mirage:

Its rock-bottom sticker price and thrifty fuel economy of 37 mpg overall conjure an inviting image of an economical runabout. But that mirage quickly dissipates when you drive this tiny, tinny car. Minor updates for 2017 bring a sedan body style, a hint more power, and Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, along with supposedly upgraded brakes. Yet those enhancements don’t mask the weak, vibrating three-cylinder engine that delivers sluggish acceleration and a raspy chorus of lament or the car’s clumsy handling. Though it’s relatively roomy, the depressing cabin feels drab, cheap, and insubstantial. In the end, there is no compelling reason to buy a Mirage and, for the money, there are many much better used cars for the same price.
    Here's the whole group:

1. Toyota Prius Three
    2. Toyota Prius C Two
    3. Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
    4. Toyota Prius V Three
    5. Lexus CT 200h
    6. Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    7. Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
    8. Toyota Camry Hybrid
    9. Ford C-Max hybrid
    10. Mitsubishi Mirage ES

Full article: http://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-...cars-best-mpg/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, thats a pretty heavy slam. Especially considering the next cheapest vehicle on that list (the Prius C two) costs 50% or $7000 more than the Mirage ES! These "professionals" really have no perspective.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Ummm...did I miss something or did that article fail to mention the PRICE of each car?!?

A significant number of people interested in fuel-efficient cars are likely budget-oriented. Great fuel mileage from a hybrid doesn't mean much if the car costs $30,000! You could easily buy 2 Mirages for what some of these cars likely cost. But once again, they are probably looking at the $18K price tag of a Mirage GT.

Actually...I could probably buy 3 Mirages for what some of these cost because I got a great deal on mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Let's see...

1) $27,135
    2) $20,950
    3) $28,645
    4) $28,945
    5) $31,250
    6) $26,100
    7) $26,000
    8) $27,914
    9) $25,045
    10) $12,995

Once again, Consumer Reports proves that they are full of sh!t. Not everyone can afford $500 a month for a car they think is 'worthy'. And used cars have used car problems.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (03-08-2017),daleWV (03-08-2017),Daox (03-08-2017),Eggman (03-08-2017),MetroMPG (03-08-2017),MightyMirageMpg (03-08-2017),MysticMirage (03-09-2017),Top_Fuel (03-08-2017)

^ There's some perspective for ya!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ^ There's some perspective for ya!
    It's sometimes hard to grasp just how lacking perspective really is in reviews of this humble little car.

The average cost of the nine vehicles in this list is $26,855. For that amount you get TWO Mirages. With the rebates being offered you have enough left over to buy gas to drive each of them FOR A YEAR.

That...to use CR's parlance...is "easy on the wallet".

But... the interior has plastic! The engine vibrates!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "But that mirage quickly dissipates when you drive this tiny, tinny car"
    and then...
    "though it’s relatively roomy..."

What the heck! I still don't understand reviewers when they judge the dashboard. Haven't heard anyone tell me "wow, awesome dashboard, it looks so high end!" in any car, haha.

That whole car list is not even in the correct class of where the Mirage should be. (sighs). It's slightly frustrating reading some reviews nowadays.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    10th in the list, but 4th in highway mileage! If you do a lot of highway miles, you quickly depreciate the car.

The Mirage can depreciate to $0 and you still have money in the bank compared to any of the rest of these vehicles.

And CR doesn't even bother mentioning that the Mirage doesn't have a second drivetrain, batteries, or regenerative braking system to keep the garage busy. You know, the sort of stuff that costs big money to fix in the long term.

I suppose if you have an unlimited budget and plan to throw the car away at the end of the warranty, their reviews make sense. I have a tight budget (hence focus on fuel economy) and every car I've owned ended up in the junkyard (or traded into a dealer for junkyard money who probably took it directly to the junkyard). Except one... which a mechanic bought as a major fixer upper.

I drive my cars into the ground. That's how you get your value out of them! Just maintain the hell out of them and put the miles on!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

I don't know about the other manufacturers, but Toyota's hybrids are pretty bulletproof. The Prius is Toyota's most reliable model.

The fact that taxi companies aren't afraid of using them speaks volumes -- if the numbers didn't work in their favour, they wouldn't.

But that still doesn't change the fact the Mirage is still the one to beat on that list for total cost of ownership if you're planning to keep it a long time.