Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Defender vs General RT43?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    gonna co-op this thread a bit and ask for the best inexpensive option in canada, and where to buy. I'm still running the ones that they came with, but I'd like to know what to get when its time and how much its gonna cost me. Thanks for any help!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd say go with the general RT43s and order them from pmctire. Save on taxes (they charge only 5%), no tire levy ($20) and free fast delivery. I had mine delivered to the door in 3 business days from Quebec to BC. $339 out of the door. I pad $60 to have them mounted and balanced. What kind of winters do you get?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 604_guy For This Useful Post:

Spadesheart (10-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    I'd say go with the general RT43s and order them from pmctire. Save on taxes (they charge only 5%), no tire levy ($20) and free fast delivery. I had mine delivered to the door in 3 business days from Quebec to BC. $339 out of the door. I pad $60 to have them mounted and balanced. What kind of winters do you get?
    Southern Ontario, it can vary but on the whole I would say slightly worse than Vancouver. I drove Mary Jackson from your neck of the woods though. Perfect road-trip car with the warranty and mileage. Car is at 42 k now, I think the tires can go another 15. Don't know if mounting winter tires might be worth it, though my insurer does give a $67 discount for it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Southern Ontario, it can vary but on the whole I would say slightly worse than Vancouver. I drove Mary Jackson from your neck of the woods though. Perfect road-trip car with the warranty and mileage. Car is at 42 k now, I think the tires can go another 15. Don't know if mounting winter tires might be worth it, though my insurer does give a $67 discount for it.
    Umm its a catch 22, the stock dunlops are absolute ****. How did they do in snow last year if you had any? If you have the coin and if you're going to drive a lot in snow, look into getting a used set of winters tires. You can easily find them on craigslist/kijiji mounted and ready to go on steelies for 250ish bucks (175-65-14). Another option is to get the nokians, their WRG3 (think thats the name) all seasons are damn good!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 604_guy For This Useful Post:

Spadesheart (10-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    Umm its a catch 22, the stock dunlops are absolute ****. How did they do in snow last year if you had any? If you have the coin and if you're going to drive a lot in snow, look into getting a used set of winters tires. You can easily find them on craigslist/kijiji mounted and ready to go on steelies for 250ish bucks (175-65-14). Another option is to get the nokians, their WRG3 (think thats the name) all seasons are damn good!
    you know what, I just did a search and you're absolutely right. I just did an ontario wide search for "175 tires rims" and found tons of results around $200. I did not have this car last year, just bought it in August haha. Preparing, just listened to the radio yesterday and they said its supposed to be a harder winter this year. Thank you so much for your suggestion!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    haha no worries man, glad to help! I thought about getting proper winter tires too, however I didn't see the point in spending money twice once we are done with the winters..which are purdy mild compared to east coast. I had to get the all seasons regardless sooo...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 604_guy For This Useful Post:

Spadesheart (10-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    just as a side note, the stock dunlops are indeed poop. My passenger rear just popped so following up now with the winter tires so I can deal with the others later hahaha

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    im finding a lot of really cheap 175-70-14's. Will those fit/ not have a terrible effect on fuel economy?

like four rims and tires for $50-100 cheap

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Make sure the bolt pattern is same on those wheels (4x100). Not sure if wheel offset applies to steel rims or not. However, there will most likely be a drop in fuel economy, I'm down by 4ish mpg just in city. Generals are not low rolling resistance tires

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ended up getting a set of 4 175/65/14 for 100. Goodyear nordic. Did the toonie test, and two of them got above the gold and two below it so not so bad. Am I still going to see a hit you think?