Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Brand of oil are you using?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I don't take it easy on mine but don't beat the crap out of it either. You kinda have to run these somewhat hard being a relatively small engine and all. I am sure the rings are seated quite nicely on mine.

I think modern engines are really tough overall with a few exceptions. Chrysler and Fiat seem to have the market cornered on the duds.

Conor
    Don't forget Hyundai's used timing belts that pop at about 69000 destroying the engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Don't forget Hyundai's used timing belts that pop at about 69000 destroying the engine.
    Mitsubishi's use of a timing chain was a huge factor in my decision to buy a Mirage. Timing belts will and do break and since most engines are interference type it's ludicrous to me why any manufacturer would choose to use a belt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most cars these days have gone back to chains including the cheap ones. The Versa, Spark, Kia/Hyundai products, etc. are all using chains these days. I didn't really mind belts but they need to be changed according to schedule if an interference engine. My GF owned a Suzuki Forenza before the Mirage and that was a GM Daewoo product known for eating belts like the Chevy Aveo. She thought belts were a terrible idea after I explained what would happen if one broke in her car. She always said she wanted her next car to use a belt and not a chain.

As for the Geo Metro, you can break a belt at highway speeds, change it on the side of the road, and be on your way in about an hour. I know from personal experience.

Conor

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-14-2016),HitShane (11-14-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Timing chain can stretch with low quality engine oil or with extended oil change interval. This will lead to serious timing problems or the dreaded death rattle. Not actually that the metal elongates, but the chain link holes become larger with excessive wear. There are many articles in the net about it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just bought 3 5 L jugs of Motomaster Formula 1 0W-20. Just got it changed for 15 (really 18.95 with tax and environmental levy in Ontario.)

The jugs were 26.39, and the filter was 8 dollars, but just because I wasn't able to shop around. Total with tax for the change came up to be around $44, which isn't bad if the claims for 0w20 longevity are accurate.

Was this an okay price for the oil? If someone has a better price for Canada, I can switch out the other two jugs.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Belts are better then chains all day long. The trick is to change them every 100k miles like your supposed too.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerami View Post
    Timing chain can stretch with low quality engine oil or with extended oil change interval. This will lead to serious timing problems or the dreaded death rattle. Not actually that the metal elongates, but the chain link holes become larger with excessive wear. There are many articles in the net about it.
    The timing chain is not lubricated from the engine oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The timing chain is in with the engine oil. On these cars you can actually see the chain through the oil fill cap as you can on many others. Belts are a separate deal and not lubricated. Seal leaks onto belts are a bad deal.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    The timing chain is in with the engine oil. On these cars you can actually see the chain through the oil fill cap as you can on many others. Belts are a separate deal and not lubricated. Seal leaks onto belts are a bad deal.

Conor
    you are right! I stand corrected!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are there some newer cars where the chain is lubricated with a different fluid than engine oil like gear oil? I figure anything is possible these days.

I remember noticing the chain when I opened the oil fill and made sure to point it out to my girlfriend as she liked that feature. She said it looks like a bicycle chain which it does.

Belts are easy to change on some cars such as the Geo Metro but not as much on others.

Conor