Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit a truck tire coming home from a road trip

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hit a truck tire coming home from a road trip

Title says it all, I'm looking for help and advice on how to fix the front bumper and drivers front door damage. I hit a truck tire on the highway doing around 60mph no other damage found under the car or to the body.Name:  IMG_0189.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  93.0 KBName:  IMG_0190.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  92.6 KBName:  IMG_0191.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG_0192.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG_0192.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG_0194.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  95.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage gs 1.3 automatic: 48.7 mpg (US) ... 20.7 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bumper cover under $200 bucks unpainted. For the door try the Canned Air trick. Get a blow dryer in circular pattern keep moving over dent. say 2mins. Than Have canned air ready Shake very very well. Hold upside down same circular pattern outside to in side until the White Co2 is on door.. Should pop dent right out. All the scuffs and such should come out wiping with rag or what have you. OR Pay your $500 Deduciable on insurace and get it all fixed right.
    There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow. Glad you're ok. I've hit tire carcasses with a tractor trailer rig and that's no small hit.
    Looks like bumper cover is repairable unless you find a replacement real cheap. The door dent...dunno. Maybe paintless dent repair by Maaco or such?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Ask a body shop what they think. I always appreciate the skills of professionals. It might not be right for you, but worth looking into.

Sorry for your luck. Glad it's not worse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ask a body shop what they think...
    Yeah...it's going to cost more than you may think. The front bumper cover can be fixed, but like Dontee said...it will be cheaper to replace it. To remove/replace and paint that front bumper cover will probably cost upwards of $800 at a legit shop.

The door looks like it could go either way. If you can rub out all the marks with rubbing compound or some sort of scratch remover...and the paint isn't damaged...then a good Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) guy might be able to work that dent out for $150-$200. That's a little more than fixing a door ding...but sometimes they can do it. The dent is on a body line...and that makes it more challenging.

If the paint on the door has been scratched and it needs to be re-painted, that's another expense. A normal body shop will want to shoot most of the door and possibly blend into the surrounding panels. Again...you're looking at $400 just to re-paint that area. That doesn't include the time/materials to repair the dent. But I would let a PDR guy look at it even if it needs to be painted.

I have a shop by me that specializes in doing small spot repairs. They would probably charge about $300 to fix and repaint that dent on the door.

Here's a new bumper cover...

Name:  front_bumper.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  78.6 KB

...but I noticed that some on-line parts retailers won't ship parts this big...

DUE TO EXCESSIVE DAMAGE CLAIMS, WE WILL NOT PROCESS ORDERS FOR BUMPERS, BODY SHEET METAL OR LARGE FRAGILE ITEMS. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO: HOODS, FENDERS, DOORS, GLASS, TRUNK LIDS, LARGE MOULDINGS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I wonder if the door dent would be easier to pop out from the inside?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    That was my thought also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Doors are easy to remove/replace. If you want it to look RIGHT, then that is the only way. Find a wrecking yard with a blue Mirage, buy the door, swap it on.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...oor-with-pics!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most likely. OP, take the inside door panel off and peel a bit of the plastic away from that area. Push it out. My car got broad-sided by a tornado and a tree fell on the driver side. Both doors had huge dents that I easily pushed out from the inside. Only a few small waves noticeable just below the passenger window. If my doors weren't all scratched up, it wouldn't even be noticeable. Push it out, clean the paint up the best you can and I bet you will hardly notice it. If it's hard to push out, heat it up a bit with a hair dryer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticMirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like you got a used ex rental fron Hertz. I bet you pay about $6800 for the car,.. so not worth spending $1000 or insurance to fix it.

For the door paintless Dent repair for the door ($150~),.. it is on the lower part so if they can get 95% then you are good. The bumper better to have it replace and repainted ($350). Since it is rip, it is hard to fix. Better to go found one in the junk yard (in blue) to replace it cheap.

Other then that, this is a cheap car don't bother fixing it,.. why spend $1000 repair on a $6000 car.....

I would go PDR and fix the door dent and forget about the bumper for now...