Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    From the service manual:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Mirage Service Manual 31-4
    Two sets of four TPMS transmitters can be registered as sets 1 and 2.
    NOTE:
    If the TPMS transmitter is replaced, register the ID codes of all the TPMS transmitters again about the ID set of tire which includes the replaced transmitter using the scan tool MB991958.
    TPMS sensor registration procedures are detailed starting on page 31-42.

Edit: Never mind - Inuvik covered this already! Maybe the scan tool MB991958 is the key to making this all work.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-03-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    About the sensors... I read that the sensors are sensible to the foam used in repair kit, and told by the mitsubishi dealer each sensor costs around 40 euros... (there we go again.. A low cost car expensive to maintain). My question is, can i cross wheels (to maintain similar tire wear front and back) without problems with sensors?... Are the sensors position calibrated?.. I hope i made myself undestand..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    About the sensors... I read that the sensors are sensible to the foam used in repair kit, and told by the mitsubishi dealer each sensor costs around 40 euros... (there we go again.. A low cost car expensive to maintain). My question is, can i cross wheels (to maintain similar tire wear front and back) without problems with sensors?... Are the sensors position calibrated?.. I hope i made myself undestand..
    All TPMS sensors are sensitive to the "Fix a flat goo" regardless of the brand of vehicle if you fill your tire with it. That's why if you don't have a spare try to find a used tire mounted on a rim. The TPMS sensors are NOT location specific, you can swap them around wherever you like on the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    If I understand the service manual correctly, the TPMS sensors are not position dependent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Old thread I know, but it's worth nothing for future reference that Ateq does NOT list the Mirage as being compatible with the Mitsu Reset TPMS tool anymore. Sucks that they made us beta-test it for them!!

https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/prod...or-mitsubishi/

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-19-2017),Eggman (11-19-2017),inuvik (11-19-2017),Top_Fuel (11-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I remember they took it off of Amazon after I wrote a review warning Mirage owners to steer clear of this thing.

I just clicked on the link you posted...and then clicked on the US factsheet. Uh oh...

Name:  specsheet.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  87.1 KB

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has been able to use that ETACS software hack to update the car's computer. If the TPMS can be turned off, I wonder if there's a way to use it to set TPMS ID's?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Any new developments in the tpms reset tool?
    I saw VDO has a model SE10001HPR that looks like the oem Mirage sensor, but still need a reset tool.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After using a quality TPMS tool, I would never bother with that ATEQ tool that just has a bunch of dummy lights on it.

My Autel TS501 is pretty much everything you'd ever need in a TPMS tool. It can read sensor IDs from the sensors, read/clear TPMS trouble codes via the OBDII connector, write TPMS ID's into the computer, and it can even clone Autel brand sensors.

It's worked on 4 different vehicles I've tried (including Honda/Nissan), but damn-it it won't work on a Mirage!!! I'm still in touch with the manufacturer about this. The last I heard from them, they were going to have their guys in New York rent a Mirage and try to gather some debugging data to find out what is so freaking unique about a Mirage that it has to be different from every other Mitsubishi product. I bother them about once a week. I'm about ready to tell them that I'll pay for the Mirage rental for a day if they will fix the software! I'll keep you guys posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

TPMS for Dummies!

Why couldn't all Mirages have the same 4 TMPS codes? Why do they need to be different?

If you wanted to add a second set of wheels, you could just buy an extra set of matching sensors. This would be the same as cloning, but even better. If a single sensor failed, you could simply replace it with a matching new one by looking at the code number stamped on the original sensor.

What's the worst that could happen? If you parked next to another Mirage with a low tire, your dash light may go on? Big deal! Carry a hand pump and help out your fellow Mirage buddy!

This whole system seems way more complicated than necessary. Yet, the Mirage system is not all that sophisticated. It doesn't give us the individual tire pressure readings of all four wheels like some vehicles. All it does is let us know that one or more tires are low.

We shouldn't even have to clone sensors. All Mirages should come with the same four coded sensors. You could buy matching sets or individual replacement sensors. Simple! The fact that this thread is so long just points out the obvious. For a safety feature, this is way more difficult than it should be. You shouldn't have to buy a special tool. If the sensor fails, you just go buy a new matching one to replace it. Install it and be done!

Just my thought! I may be oversimplifying things. I just wish we had TPMS for Dummies!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-16-2018),Top_Fuel (04-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why couldn't all Mirages have the same 4 TMPS codes? Why do they need to be different?
    That would work up until the point that you drove past another Mirage with the same 4 sensor ID numbers. Then the systems in both cars would freak out because they would be receiving multiple pressure readings from the same sensor ID. That's one of the error codes in the TPMS system.

This whole system seems way more complicated than necessary.
    You won't get an argument from me on that. Apparently most Asian manufacturers do their TPMS systems the way that Mitsubishi does. Some manufacturers have made TPMS replacement a fairly simple process. On most GM cars, you can reprogram your own sensors in a couple of minutes using your key fob.

When this thread started, it was unclear if you could clone the TPMS sensors used in the Mirage. So everyone was focused on how to get 2 sets of sensor IDs stored in the computer (which...as it turns out...can't be done in Mirages sold in North America anyway ).

But it's now clear that cloning Mirage sensors is completely do-able and is the easiest way to handle multiple sets of wheels/tires being used on the same car. It's also the easiest way replace a dead sensor without having to involve a dealer.

The biggest mystery about the Mirages TPMS system is that it appears to be unique to the Mirage...even among other Mitsubishi products. Aftermarket TPMS tools that will work on the Outlander will not work on the Mirage!?!

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-16-2018 at 03:31 PM.