Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That would work up until the point that you drove past another Mirage with the same 4 sensor ID numbers. Then the systems in both cars would freak out because they would be receiving multiple pressure readings from the same sensor ID. That's one of the error codes in the TPMS system.

You won't get an argument from me on that. Apparently most Asian manufacturers do their TPMS systems the way that Mitsubishi does. Some manufacturers have made TPMS replacement a fairly simple process. On most GM cars, you can reprogram your own sensors in a couple of minutes using your key fob.

When this thread started, it was unclear if you could clone the TPMS sensors used in the Mirage. So everyone was focused on how to get 2 sets of sensor IDs stored in the computer (which...as it turns out...can't be done in Mirages sold in North America anyway ).

But it's now clear that cloning Mirage sensors is completely do-able and is the easiest way to handle multiple sets of wheels/tires being used on the same car. It's also the easiest way replace a dead sensor without having to involve a dealer.

The biggest mystery about the Mirages TPMS system is that it appears to be unique to the Mirage...even among other Mitsubishi products. Aftermarket TPMS tools that will work on the Outlander will not work on the Mirage!?!
    Can you get sensors that use a rubber stem, Dill VS-90?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Can you get sensors that use a rubber stem, Dill VS-90?
    You can definitely get after-market sensors that clip on to the VS-90 valve stems. I'm not sure I've seen programmable (clone-able) sensors that clip on to VS-90 valve stems. But I bet they exist at this point.

The tool I have can clone Autel brand sensors. Autel uses their own type of clip-on rubber valve stem. So if I switch to Autel brand clone-able sensors, I will have to change to their rubber valve stem as well. I've noticed multiple aftermarket brands of clone-able sensors that don't use the VS-90 valve stem for whatever reason.

Autel uses a single proprietary valve stem that works on all of their TPMS sensors...

Name:  Autel MX Sensor.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  26.6 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    From the service manual:

TPMS sensor registration procedures are detailed starting on page 31-42.

Edit: Never mind - Inuvik covered this already! Maybe the scan tool MB991958 is the key to making this all work.
    I'm a bit late with this gloomy post, but I just tried to find this information in my own factory service manual, and so far, I don't see it. Maybe there's some revision I'm supposed to have, but don't. AS I look closer, I see that Inuvik and Eggman have signatures indicating 2015 Mirages, and my Mirage and Manual is for a 2014.

Maybe that explains the stupid or lazy dealers. Or not.

Michael
    Last edited by mpaton; 11-24-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
    I'm a bit late with this gloomy post, but I just tried to find this information in my own factory service manual, and so far, I don't see it. Maybe there's some revision I'm supposed to have, but don't. AS I look closer, I see that Inuvik and Eggman have signatures indicating 2015 Mirages, and my Mirage and Manual is for a 2014.

Maybe that explains the stupid or lazy dealers. Or not.

Michael
    mpaton, are you referring to the Owner's Manual or the Factory Service Manual? I think inuvik is referencing a TSB.

Edit: Rats - it's been so long since I've visited this rabbit hole that I forgot the little details.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-24-2018 at 10:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    mpaton, are you referring to the Owner's Manual or the Factory Service Manual? I think inuvik is referencing a TSB.

Edit: Rats - it's been so long since I've visited this rabbit hole that I forgot the little details.
    The factory Service Manual. file gr00002800-31.pdf only goes up to page 31-44, and that's a blank page for notes. 31-43 is about refitting a tire without mangling the sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The factory Service Manual. file gr00002800-31.pdf only goes up to page 31-44, and that's a blank page for notes. 31-43 is about refitting a tire without mangling the sensor.
    That's interesting. The FSM version I'm referencing has a file named GR00001600-31.pdf for Chapter 31, and has 52 pages total.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    A lot has been learned about the TPMS system in the Mirage in the last 6 months. Personally, I would advise not to bother with trying to figure out how the Mirage registration process works with TPMS sensors. It's not something you can do without a fairly advanced $$ tool.

Sensor cloning is the simple/easy answer to all your TPMS problems because it doesn't involve interfacing with the Mirage's computer (which continues to be a challenge). Two of us (so far) have cloned our own sensors with our own TPMS tools and have tested them successfully.

If you are replacing a dead sensor...just clone the old sensor ID into a programmable replacement sensor. Problem solved. The TPMS light will remain off and no registration process is required.

If you want to run a second set of wheels with TPMS sensors, just clone all 4 of your existing sensors and install them in your other wheels. When you install those wheels on your car, your TPMS light will remain off without messing with a complicated registration process that requires a fairly sophisticated scan tool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-25-2018),inuvik (11-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Far easier to clone for sure. According to the FSM it is possible to store two sets of TPMS ID’s. That being said it is ridiculously convoluted and requires the ability to modify ETACS in order to make it happen. I tried to find my post of the process as described in the FSM but I couldn’t find it. It was at least a year or more ago. Cloning is the way to go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Far easier to clone for sure. According to the FSM it is possible to store two sets of TPMS ID’s. That being said it is ridiculously convoluted and requires the ability to modify ETACS in order to make it happen. I tried to find my post of the process as described in the FSM but I couldn’t find it. It was at least a year or more ago. Cloning is the way to go.
    It's post #77 in this thread. I was well on the way to deciding cloning was the way to go when I ran across your post, and as I'd been pondering ETACS modifying tools and TPMS tools, I thought I'd look a little further.

Another thought that occurred was whether anyone migt have accidentally put on wheels with a pair of cloned sensors on them. That is 2 wheels transmitting the same ID. If I was programming ETACS, I would create a list of however many wheels were enabled, and populate it with the sensor IDs, and then iterate around the list. Of course it make not actually interrogate (or trigger) the sensors, it may just broadcast to all sensors and only accept replies from IDs in the list. I was wondering what would happen if each wheel set of 4 all had sensors with the same ID, then would it throw a fault? If not, then you could maybe have 4 sets of cloned sensors, all able to send alarms.

More practically, could we maybe have a Sticky listing all TPMS tools which have been verified as being able to clone a brans of sensor that the Mirage will read?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    It's post #77 in this thread.
    Yeesh, it most certainly was. This is a prime example of why getting old sucks. I searched every related thread BUT this one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)