Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

I read previously somewhere that our cars can store two sets of TPMS sensor codes, for summer and winter tire sets. I had my second set of sensors reprogrammed to finally turn off my TPMS light, but after installing my OE wheels with winter tires on the other day, the light decided to turn right back on.

Either the dealership erased the original sensors from the computer, or our cars can actually only have one set of sensors active at a time. If the latter is the case, it looks like I just wasted $117 having the second set reprogrammed. :/

Does anyone know for sure if we can run two sets of sensors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    European Mirage computers can store 2 sets of TPMS Sensor IDs, but only 1 set is active at any time. You indicate which set is active using the dash information button. Someone from Finland previously posted the following page from their owner's manual. I can't read it, but the illustrations give you an idea of how it works...

Name:  TPMS_Sets.jpg
Views: 3476
Size:  57.3 KB

Unfortunately, Mirages for the US market can only store 1 set of TPMS IDs.

There are a couple of moderately affordable tools available to solve this problem...so you don't have to pay the dealer $100 every time you swap wheels...

OPTION #1: ATEQ Quickset Tool Price: $150.00

EDIT...
    This device is compatible with some Mitsubishi models...but NOT the Mirage.
    See Cobrajet's post #6 below and watch his video link for details.

This device stores 2 sets of TPMS IDs...one for winter wheels and one for summer. You set it up by loading both sets of your TPMS ID's onto the device. Then all you have to do is connect the tool to the OBDII port and push a single button (winter or summer) to load the appropriate IDs. Here is a video showing how this tool works:

The limiting factor with this tool is you have to know the actual ID numbers of the sensors in your extra set of wheels. If you don't know what they are, so you will have to have a tire shop (or someone with a good TPMS tool) scan your second set of wheels and tell you what the TPMS IDs are.

OPTION #2: ATEQ MitsuReset Tool Price: $180.00

EDIT...
    Even though the manufacturer says this tool works on the Mirage, both Cobrajet and I have purchased this tool and tried it...and IT DOESN'T WORK ON A MIRAGE. So DO NOT BUY THIS TOOL!!! See
    Cobrajet's post here

This device doesn't store TPMS ID's. Instead, it commands the car's TPMS system into 'learn' mode. This allows the car's computer to read and store the IDs of the 4 TPMS sensors currently installed on the car. This is probably the easier way to register TPMS sensors to your car, and it doesn't require a laptop, installing software, having the sensor IDs, etc. The downside is that it requires a second tool capable of 'triggering' the sensors during the re-learn procedure.

Here are the instructions for this tool so you can see how it works...

Name:  mitsureset.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  84.5 KB

I used to own this tool, but it wouldn't work in my situation (which was very unusual). My TPMS light was flashing because of an existing TPMS error code. It turns out this tool can't put the computer into learn mode when you have existing TPMS error codes stored in the computer. I had to get a dealer to clear my TPMS codes (different from clearing OBDII codes) before I could register my sensor IDs.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-07-2016 at 08:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016),MetroMPG (11-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's one other option I just stumbled across. I didn't know this was possible, but it sounds pretty cool. This is probably a good option for someone who hasn't already purchased a second set of TPMS sensors.

You can buy replacement TPMS sensors that can be 'cloned' with your existing TPMS sensor IDs. With a set of cloned sensors installed in a second set of wheels, you can change your wheels and never have to program anything into the TPMS system. The computer will always think the same sensors are on the car.

Here's a video showing how it's done...

You need to buy programmable sensors to do this. Not all TPMS sensors can be cloned. I wonder if some better tire shops have the cloning tool? It's not that expensive. HERE it is on Amazon.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-26-2016 at 03:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016),inuvik (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Very timely and informative thread. I was about to call my dealer and make an appointment to have my snow tire/wheel TPMS sensors ADDED. Now I know that adding them is not possible.

Not sure why Mitsubishi would stick US drivers with being able to store only one set of sensors. Might make sense for cars sent to Ecuador, but the US gets plenty of snow. Do our Canadian friends get to store two sets of sensors? Is this a feature that could be enabled on our cars with an MUT3 or other software?

So the ATEQ Mitsureset tool is a good bet if I do not already have any TPMS error codes flashing? Is the 'triggering tool'...eg VT 15...required, or can the pressure in each tire simply be lowered to trigger each sensor?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I was about to call my dealer and make an appointment to have my snow tire/wheel TPMS sensors ADDED. Now I know that adding them is not possible.
    It looks like we (US drivers) got hosed again on a 'feature' other Mirage owners have.

Do our Canadian friends get to store two sets of sensors?
    I don't know. Maybe someone from Canada can chime in and let us know.

Is this a feature that could be enabled on our cars with an MUT3 or other software?
    I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone who has played around with the MUT3 can tell us.

So the ATEQ Mitsureset tool is a good bet if I do not already have any TPMS error codes flashing?
    This tool appears to be the closest thing to 'normal' TPMS re-learning that I'm familiar with in domestic cars. Just get the TPMS computer into 'learn' mode, trigger all 4 sensors, and you're done. No need to worry about the actual ID numbers of the sensors.

Is the 'triggering tool' required, or can the pressure in each tire simply be lowered to trigger each sensor?
    You're thinking too logically. Of course Mitsubishi's system won't just let you air down a tire to trigger a sensor. You'll need a triggering tool. I have a TIPS TPMS tool for triggering sensors. So if you decide to buy something that needs to be triggered, let me know. I'll gladly let you borrow it. Here it is being used in a video below on a C6 Corvette (too bad Mitsubishi doesn't make it this easy)...

I was looking at programmable TPMS sensors on eBay. I see one guy who is selling used sensors for $25/each, and he'll clone (program) them for free. These should work on a Mirage according to Schrader's catalog. Here is the link if you're curious:

Schrader EZ Sensor 33000 Programmable TPMS Sensors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am thinking about getting the ATEQ MitsuReset tool and the ATEQ VT30 triggering tool. I was considering the VT15, but for about $70 more I get a triggering tool that also reads and displays the ID numbers from each sensor.

This could be helpful down the line, so I might as well just spend a few extra bucks and get the VT30. About $350 for both tools, but that is the cost of three trips to the dealership (once to winter, once to summer, and once back to winter).

I did some research, and it doesn't appear that the Quickset will work with our cars. Older Mitsubishis, yes. But not the Mirage, Outlander, or Lancer/Evo. They use this fiddly, proprietary system that is giving us all the sh!ts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...thinking about getting the ATEQ MitsuReset tool and the ATEQ VT30 triggering tool.
    If I was going to switch wheels back and forth, that's the way I would go. If you have a Mitsubishi, you'll want to read the actual sensor IDs sooner or later. And the VT30 can also tell you the battery status of each sensor. That will be a handy feature down the road as our cars get older.

...it doesn't appear that the Quickset will work with our cars.
    Geez...that's unbelievable! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll edit my post above so nobody gets the wrong idea.

They use this fiddly, proprietary system that is giving us all the sh!ts.
    When I was having issues with my TPMS, I went to a local tire shop that was pretty proud of their latest $$$ TPMS tools. They told me they could take care of my problem. After 15 minutes of trying all sorts of things, they gave up and said they couldn't do it. It's unreal how quirky these Mitsubishi systems are.

If you decide to buy any TPMS tools, I would get them from a place (like Amazon) with a friendly return policy. Despite what ATEQ claims, you won't know for certain it will work on a Mirage until you actually do it. When I was having issues with the MitsuReset tool and needed to talk to their tech support, I got the distinct impression that they didn't test it on many vehicles. And there is no User Manual with the MitsuReset tool. The only thing that comes in the box is the tool and a 5x8" glossy postcard of picture instructions (the image in my post above). If you have trouble (like I did), there's absolutely nothing to reference for troubleshooting, tips, etc. Kind of frustrating for a not-so-cheap tool like this. Reading Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one who was frustrated by ATEQ's lack of tech support.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-27-2016 at 12:03 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If I was going to switch wheels back and forth, that's the way I would go. If you have a Mitsubishi, you'll want to read the actual sensor IDs sooner or later. And the VT30 can also tell you the battery status of each sensor. That will be a handy feature down the road as our cars get older.

Geez...that's unbelievable! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll edit my post above so nobody gets the wrong idea.

When I was having issues with my TPMS, I went to a local tire shop that was pretty proud of their latest $$$ TPMS tools. They told me they could take care of my problem. After 15 minutes of trying all sorts of things, they gave up and said they couldn't do it. It's unreal how quirky these Mitsubishi systems are.

If you decide to buy any TPMS tools, I would get them from a place (like Amazon) with a friendly return policy. Despite what ATEQ claims, you won't know for certain it will work on a Mirage until you actually do it. When I was having issues with the MitsuReset tool and needed to talk to their tech support, I got the distinct impression that they didn't test it on many vehicles. And there is no User Manual with the MitsuReset tool. The only thing that comes in the box is the tool and a 4x6" glossy postcard of picture instructions (the image in my post above). If you have trouble (like I did), there's absolutely nothing to reference for troubleshooting, tips, etc. Kind of frustrating for a not-so-cheap tool like this. Reading Amazon reviews, I'm not the only one who was frustrated by ATEQ's lack of tech support.
    It sounds like this thing either works...or doesn't. You mentioned having a pre-existing problem with the TPMS system on your car, right? What was it? What caused it?

My TPMS system works fine, so hopefully I can just swap the wheels, plug the tool in, turn the ignition to ON, turn on the tool, then trigger...trigger...trigger...trigger.

It doesn't sound like there should be much more to it, which would explain the lack of an elaborate instruction manual. If I can't get this to work, at least I will have the TPMS ID codes and hopefully be able to buy 'cloned' sensors as you suggest. Otherwise, off to the dealer I go...

I went ahead and ordered the MitsuReset and VT30 and I will post up the results here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You mentioned having a pre-existing problem with the TPMS system on your car, right? What was it?
    It's a long story...grab a beverage...

See update at end of this post that explains the answer to the problem I'm about to describe to Cobrajet.

When my car was only a month old, I put it up on a lift in my garage. I removed the factory wheels (with functioning TPMS sensors) and carried them to a local Discount Tire. I bought a new set of wheels/tires from Discount Tire, and they removed the TPMS sensors from my factory wheels and installed them in my new wheels. I took the new wheels home and stacked them in a corner of my garage for a month. So my car was sitting in the air with no wheels/tires for something like 30 days.

I finally installed the new wheels and went for a test drive. Everything was fine and there were no TPMS lights on. I assumed everything was great because these were the original sensors from the car.

After about 15 minutes of driving, the TPMS light started flashing for a minute and then stayed on solid. Every time I started the car after that, the TPMS light would immediately begin flashing for 1 minute and then remain on constantly. My tire pressures were fine and the TPMS sensors were alive and broadcasting. 2 different shops checked the sensors (with a tool similar to a VT30) and verified that they were operational.

If the TPMS system has detected a system fault, the TPMS light will flash for 1 minute when you first start the car, and then it will remain on solid. The 2 primary reasons this would happen are because a) 1 or more sensors are not being detected (because of a dead sensor battery), or b) the sensor IDs in the wheels don't correspond the the 4 sensor IDs stored in the TPMS computer.

I knew the sensors were good...so I assumed that the sensor IDs in the new wheels did not correspond to the IDs in the car's computer. Unless Discount Tire broke and replaced one of my sensors without telling me (see UPDATE at bottom of this post), I have no idea how this would have happened. I don't know if not having any sensors on the car for a long period of time could have triggered the problem? The service manual says that when the car is stationary, the TPMS sensors will still send a signal to the computer every 13 hours. Maybe the computer freaked out when it didn't get a TPMS signal for 30 straight days or something. I don't know. Some day when I replace these tires, I'll check the TPMS sensors and see if one or more don't match the others. Then I'll know it was Discount Tire's fault. See UPDATE at bottom of this post...it WAS their fault.

Just like when the car sets an OBDII code and turns on the check engine light, the TPMS computer stores TPMS fault codes and turns on the TPMS light on. As I found out after visiting a local shop (and reading the service manual), if the Mirage TPMS system has any fault codes stored, you have to clear those codes before the computer can register any new sensor IDs. This is why the Mitsureset tool wasn't helping me. I needed to clear the TPMS computer codes first. Unfortunately, you have to have a really good scan tool to interface with the Mirage TPMS computer to clear codes. One local shop with an expensive tool couldn't do it. That's when I finally gave up and took the car to the dealer. They cleared the codes with no problem and registered my sensors (for $100).

I wish I would have spent some time asking the dealer tech how this happened. But by that time, I was just happy not to see that damned light flashing every time I started the car!

...hopefully I can just swap the wheels, plug the tool in, turn the ignition to ON, turn on the tool, then trigger...trigger...trigger...trigger.
    Absolutely...I think mine would have worked that way if something didn't go wrong. Whatever you do, don't drive the car with unregistered sensors or you may risk setting a TPMS code.

I went ahead and ordered the MitsuReset and VT30 and I will post up the results here.
    Awesome! I really hope it's as simple as the instructions make it look.

UPDATE

I thought I would post an update to this old thread. I just had to have a TPMS sensor replaced (February 2018)...and it turns out that it's NOT an OEM Mitsubishi sensor!

When Discount Tire swapped my original sensors into my new wheels, they must have broken and replaced at least 1 of my 4 sensors. That's why when I put my new wheels on my car, the TPMS light started flashing. I didn't completely understand how the TPMS system in the Mirage worked back then. Now I would have known that the tire shop screwed something up. If all 4 of my original sensors were in my new wheels, I would never have had an issue.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-28-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know from past experience putting the old set back on turned the light back off, so theoretically, if I were to put the VX wheels back on (with the old sensors which are currently programmed to the car), drove it until the light turned off, then swap on the OEM wheels (which currently are removed from the ECU) and reset it before it turns on the TPMS light, it should work.

I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-26-2016)