Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Two Sets of TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yeah, if I have another sensor die in the near future I will just replace all four. But since I had a single spare sensor on hand I figured I might as well just use it if the other three sensors aren't giving me any trouble.
    Since you have a tool that can read a bad sensor & you can program your own replacement when needed, I see no need to replace a sensor until it is dead. It's not like a car is disabled when a sensor dies.

If a person was replacing all their tires (like Top Fuel) & they had really old sensors, a person may want to consider it. The new sensors would most likely last the life of the new tires & then some.

My 2011 Forester - Cooper snow tires are in excellent condition with new programmable sensors installed this summer. I've been using older (nearly worn out) Cooper CS4 tires on my Forester the past few summers. Having an old (9+ years) sensor die may inspire me to do new tires/replacement sensors at the same time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I thought it was a little weird that I had just this ONE TPMS sensor suddenly go out while all the others tested fine. When I took the wheel off to replace the sensor I found that the bad sensor had detached itself and was clanking around inside the tire.

Not too surprised, though I don't remember going over any major bumps. This sensor may not have died of 'natural causes', as I originally suspected. It's death may have been accidental.

Oh, well...still needs to be replaced. But it means the other three may well have a lot of life left in them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I finally bit the bullet and contacted Bartec about updating my Tech 400SD. I was hesitant to do this because I bought the unit cheap off of Ebay back in 2018 and was afraid it might have been stolen. Bartec will not allow you to update the machine unless you are the registered owner, and clearly...I was not.

Turns out, it wasn't stolen. A very helpful guy named Michael was able to reassign this Tech 400SD to me. All he required was the invoice I got from Ebay, which I still had in my email. Now I can purchase software updates! The last time this Tech 400SD was updated: 2015. Now, I will be able to get the latest updates for one year.

Bartec is discontinuing software support for this model in 2021, so the 1-year update certificate I bought is referred to by them as the "Last Call" update. Mine will be as up-to-date as is possible for the Tech 400SD.

I could have gotten just the software update certificate for $150. But they had a deal for $199 that got you the certificate PLUS eight of their new dual-frequency programmable "Rite-Sensors". I was planning to buy a spare set of programmable sensors anyway, so this made perfect sense. I am only into this thing about $400, which isn't bad for an up-to-date, professional TPMS tool and eight cloneable sensors.

Once I have the new software, I may give the re-learn process another go. Though I am not hopeful...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Thanks for the Bartec heads-up! I also had to jump through some hoops to get my Tech400SD "assigned" to me in their system.

For $150, I will probably bite the bullet and update mine, too.

I still can't do a re-learn in my car because the ETACS/TPMS has lost its mind. I'm going to try a local shop to see if they have a scan tool that can clear Mirage TPMS codes. I've got some weird codes that don't even exist in the shop manual. That's probably not a good sign.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks for the Bartec heads-up! I also had to jump through some hoops to get my Tech400SD "assigned" to me in their system.

For $150, I will probably bite the bullet and update mine, too.

I still can't do a re-learn in my car because the ETACS/TPMS has lost its mind. I'm going to try a local shop to see if they have a scan tool that can clear Mirage TPMS codes. I've got some weird codes that don't even exist in the shop manual. That's probably not a good sign.
    Probably a good idea. I figure it will be hard to lose money on this thing if it is up to date and I decide I don't need it anymore. And another $49 gets you EIGHT cloneable sensors! I don't even think they charged me for tax or shipping.

My car doesn't have any codes, so I may have more luck?

You might have to head to the stealership to have those TPMS codes wiped.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Probably a good idea. I figure it will be hard to lose money on this thing if it is up to date and I decide I don't need it anymore. And another $49 gets you EIGHT cloneable sensors! I don't even think they charged me for tax or shipping.
    If they are throwing 8 clone-able sensors into the deal, $199 is not a bad price at all. If you were buying 8 sensors @ approximately $23/sensor, 8 x $23 = $184. With $49/8 sensors, you are only paying $6.13/sensor.

Companies not supporting their older programming tools would make me a bit miffed, however.

I realize my Autel TS408 tool probably doesn't do as much, but it does come with free lifetime updates. That's sort of nice for a $120 TPMS programming tool. This tool has it limitations, but it does what I want/need it to do.

"Autel offers free lifetime updates on almost all of its products including this one. All you need to do is visit the official website, select your tool, and download the latest updates on PC. Connect the device using the USB cable that comes with it and install the downloaded updates." quote from Autel

Autel MX-Sensor 2-in-1 seem to be around $30/sensor. A bit more cost but still competitive to most other sensors on the market.

Since my nearest Subaru & Mitsubishi dealerships are about 65 miles one way, my goal is to program sensors to the existing vehicle codes for as long as I own each vehicle. When I switch to my winter tires, everything code-wise is done. I sort of like that. Reprogramming my vehicle every time, I change tires would be annoying to me. Having vehicles that stored two codes would be great, but we don't have that either.

I don't see myself having to update my Autel tool until I buy a newer vehicle. My hope is that won't be for quite some time. Not trying to highjack this thread. I've just been comparing clone-able sensor options since Top Fuel started a great thread on the topic quite some time ago.