Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Tires: yes or no?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    I've lived in Portland OR for 12 years. It doesn't snow much, but they only plow main roads when it does. Last year, for the first time, I bought 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks. They were fabulous. My little car was plowing through snow better than all wheel drive cars with all season tires. No, they're aren't absolutely necessary for me, but I can afford it and will continue to use them from now on.
    I agree with that, the Mirage gets around pretty good even with the Enasaves but if you can afford it, why not? Makes for safer travel during the winter months. Now on the other hand down here in ludicrously temperate Southern Oregon Coast not necessary. A "frost" warning is a major winter event here-haha. Just a bunch of rain, more rain and when you get sick & tired of the relentless rain, it rains some more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's why I suggest driving the first winter on the Enasaves and see how they'll perform. I don't think New Jersey gets much snow, but what do I know. I know driving sideways (controlled...) in winter can be fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In this part of the world, it is against the law to drive with non winter-rated tyres, and they must have more than 4mm tread depth at the "baldest" part.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Enasaves weren't too bad when they were new. Given the narrow size, and tread depth. But they tended to slip more than grip in the brown slush that packs our streets.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didnt read any replys. I live in Williamstown Nj I work in Atlantic City. I didnt use winter tires last year. Granted I worked only 10min up the road. BUT i am a snow boarder, been to the Pocono Mts plenty of times in ICE, Snow, and Sleet. Did just fine, the little tires cut thru the shi t. I am going to Vermont in 1 week and they have been gettin some snow up there. Ill give you an update when I get back to let you know.
    There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Of course winter tires... It makes day/night different. Here in Canada, winter tires are mandatory.