Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Niagara Falls!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Welcome, kevhaw. My car previous to the Mirage was a 99 Saturn. I loved it. Bought it fresh off the lot in 98, and drove it forever. Well, 17 years, at least. But it was time for something new, and the Mirage was it.

My commute is suburban, stop and go traffic. My Saturn was an automatic, but my Mirage is a manual. It's such a light clutch, it was easy to make the transition to manual. "Worst" part about manual in the Mirage is with the AC on, it can bog down. But it's not too bad, and you're shooting for the no-AC model anyway. Getting the revs up to 3000rpm before shifting, I'm still getting ~44mpg city.

To be honest, I got a manual because I was a little concerned (as others were) about the longevity of the CVT. Another user posted recently (I forget names) that is in charge of 30 Mirages for a Canadian delivery company, all CVT. If I remember correctly, they had one car develop a bad ignition coil, but other than oil and tires, the cars have been nothing but dependable. One of their vehicles is at 220,000km.

I'm at... 15,000 miles I think. No additional engine noise. I've got a 2015, and from what I understand, the 2014's didn't have as beefy of a motor mount, and it is a little shakier. 3 cylinders will do that. Fixed in the 2015 with a larger/better mount, which presumably has carried over to the 2017s. I also understand that the CVTs are a little shakier than the manual.

The Mirage is the perfect car for someone wanting basic transportation and good fuel economy. Love mine.
    Thanks for all the great advice! I've only ever had one vehicle that had a standard transmission. Over 30 years ago I had a 1974 GM pickup truck with "three on the tree". The gear shifter was on the steering wheel column.

I hated the *******. The gears would jam and I'd have to pop open the hood and use my hands to unjam them. This never happened, unless I was wearing a suit and tie. Then I'd have to contend with greasy hands in the middle of a busy intersection.

It would be nice to get the manual version if only to save a few thousand bucks. Here the discount is $3000 on the manual version and only $1000 on the automatic version.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice! I've only ever had one vehicle that had a standard transmission. Over 30 years ago I had a 1974 GM pickup truck with "three on the tree". The gear shifter was on the steering wheel column.

I hated the *******. The gears would jam and I'd have to pop open the hood and use my hands to unjam them. This never happened, unless I was wearing a suit and tie. Then I'd have to contend with greasy hands in the middle of a busy intersection.

It would be nice to get the manual version if only to save a few thousand bucks. Here the discount is $3000 on the manual version and only $1000 on the automatic version.
    That was probably before the days of Tyvek jumpsuits and disposable gloves.

Definitely take both for a test drive. It seems that most manual owners seem to be happy, as are most CVT owners. Reliability doesn't seem to be an issue, and fuel efficiency between the two is pretty close, though manual does beat CVT in most real-world tests, regardless of what the window sticker says. The only "complaint" is that at 65mph, my RPMs are around 3500-3750, whereas the CVT settles down to around 2000 RPM. I thought it would bother me on my drive from Ohio to North Carolina and back, but it didn't. And the engine is designed to operate just fine at those RPMs, so... there you have it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

I haven't noticed engine noises from any mirages yet. I do think the 17 cvt's do seem to be a little smoother at idle than the 15's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually not far from you, I'm south of Buffalo. I have a 2015 ES purchased during the blowout pricing earlier this year. It's not a bad car at all. Even driving fairly inefficiently I bottom out at 37mpg with the AC running (AC is a must for me, I overheat easily). I've got around 4000 miles in it. As far as cruise being a must for best fuel economy on the highway with the CVT, with a little practice I can better the cruise control numbers, so I don't consider it a must. All and all I can't complain, $12,154 out the door after NY's insane taxes, with the warranty is a steal with no interest for 72 months. I drive a lot of country back roads so I do appreciate the fog lights on the ES.

If it's any consolation I own 3 Grand Marquis, a Fusion, an F150 and an Aerostar and I still don't find it to ride bad. Personally I like it better than the Fusion, I find the seats more comfortable and the controls more logical.

One thing to consider is even though you don't use AC in the summer if it doesn't cost additional I'd get it because it helps considerably with defogging the windows in these cooler temps.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    I'm actually not far from you, I'm south of Buffalo. I have a 2015 ES purchased during the blowout pricing earlier this year. It's not a bad car at all. Even driving fairly inefficiently I bottom out at 37mpg with the AC running (AC is a must for me, I overheat easily). I've got around 4000 miles in it. As far as cruise being a must for best fuel economy on the highway with the CVT, with a little practice I can better the cruise control numbers, so I don't consider it a must. All and all I can't complain, $12,154 out the door after NY's insane taxes, with the warranty is a steal with no interest for 72 months. I drive a lot of country back roads so I do appreciate the fog lights on the ES.

If it's any consolation I own 3 Grand Marquis, a Fusion, an F150 and an Aerostar and I still don't find it to ride bad. Personally I like it better than the Fusion, I find the seats more comfortable and the controls more logical.

One thing to consider is even though you don't use AC in the summer if it doesn't cost additional I'd get it because it helps considerably with defogging the windows in these cooler temps.
    Here in Canada the deal isn't nearly as good. $16,244 if you pay cash. If you don't, you lose the $1000 cash discount. Factoring in tax that would raise the price to $17,343. I guess the currency exchange is a problem, plus I'm talking the new 2017 whereas you got a great deal on an older model.

As for AC helping with defogging the windows... can't you get the same effect just using the defrost on the heater? My Saturn's AC is broken so I use a cloth to clear the windows until it's warm enough to use defrost via the heater.

I really like the look of the car, and I've liked Mitsubishi products for years. I was always a fan of their vcrs and tv sets. I'll look into Western New York dealerships too. Thanks for the response!

p.s. I just checked the currency exchange rate...33.3% ha ha. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to buy within Canada. I may have to just bite the bullet and hope for the best with Mountain Mitsubishi.
    Last edited by kevhaw; 11-02-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The AC in a car runs when in defrost mode until sometime around 45 degrees and assists in getting the moisture out which is good on cool fall days. It also helps on rainy humid days. Even if you don't need AC in the summer if it costs nothing additional it's worth it.

As far as parts though, if you don't mind a drive to Western NY Hamburg Mitsubishi where I bought mine is super professional, probably the best dealer I've worked with. I've never dealt with Transitowne Mitsubishi but they seem more expensive, but I'm sure they'd take care of you if the local dealership won't.

Actually a 2017 wouldn't have been substantially more when I bought mine, but it was all about cost and features. For the same I got a lot of feature vs. stripped down. To me it doesn't matter resale wise because I spread the mileage around several cars so they're all old as the hills before I sell them or I drive them to the death.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about travelling up to the Mitsubishi dealership Saturday morning and seeing one of these cars in person. I'd like to take it for a test drive too to see how it handles. I'll report back how I like it if this comes to pass. Thanks again for all the great advice guys!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Guys,

I want to thank you for your helpful advice! I've been reading the threads in this forum carefully. Unfortunately, being in Canada and having to deal with an unresponsive Mitsubishi Canada and car dealership, I really think it will be too much hassle to risk getting a screwed up rear axle. I live 50 minutes from the nearest dealer and I can just imagine the nightmare I'd have on my hands if I got a car with a bad axle. I know I could try to make the sale contingent upon having an alignment done first, but with a rear end that can't be shimmed, I'd be scared every time I hit a deep pot hole or accidently skinned a curb...

I feel bad as I really like what I read/hear about the car and I love the concept of a tiny super fuel efficient car.
    But the risks outweigh the possible benefit so I'm out.

Thanks again and I have really enjoyed perusing this forum! You are a great bunch of guys and I wish you many years of happiness with your mirages!

Kevin

p.s. if I lived in the U.S? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Would you be interested in a 2014 spark with around 130000kms? It hasn't had any trailing axle problems, plus it recently had its 3rd or 4th new from gm transmission replaced under warranty so it should easily last atleast another 20-30k for sure ����

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi, thank for the offer. I'm going to stick with my Saturn until the head gasket starts to leak again, then buy something local. Likely I'll keep researching and maybe go for a hybrid. Hopefully the Saturn can last another 2 years and I'll be able to buy a new car with cash! Ha ha!