Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Niagara Falls!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    Hi, thank for the offer. I'm going to stick with my Saturn until the head gasket starts to leak again, then buy something local. Likely I'll keep researching and maybe go for a hybrid. Hopefully the Saturn can last another 2 years and I'll be able to buy a new car with cash! Ha ha!
    Could always wait and see, perhaps the axle issue will be resolved by then too.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm reading all kinds of cars have the same issue. Lot's of Toyota models for example. My Saturn has a fixed rear alignment but at least you can buy a shim kit if you need to adjust it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I really think it will be too much hassle to risk getting a screwed up rear axle.
    Just for a frame of reference, I bought my Mirage with assurance from the dealer that the axle was fine. Knowing that Mitsubishi would take care of it easily within the first year warranty period, I got it checked as my schedule allowed and my dealership took care of it. I didn't start making demands, as I didn't want to start negotiating as a difficult customer who would later become a headache, figuring no dealer sales staff wants more headaches. In the end, I got my Mirage at a good price and with good dealer support.

1. I get the impression you will continue to have an interest in the Mirage.
    2. The rear axle alignment thread has little activity from 2017 owners.
    3. Before bowing out, keep an eye on things here to see if this truly is an ongoing problem. From what I can tell over the past few months, this rear axle misalignment problem has been resolved.
    4. Also, I haven't heard anyone having alignment problems as a result of chuck holes or other usage. Some members who have tried to cold-set the axle assembly were unsuccessful, as the assembly sprang back to it's original form, so I'm not sure that's going to be a problem in the future.

In any case, good luck and keep in touch! Drive safe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just for a frame of reference, I bought my Mirage with assurance from the dealer that the axle was fine. Knowing that Mitsubishi would take care of it easily within the first year warranty period, I got it checked as my schedule allowed and my dealership took care of it. I didn't start making demands, as I didn't want to start negotiating as a difficult customer who would later become a headache, figuring no dealer sales staff wants more headaches. In the end, I got my Mirage at a good price and with good dealer support.

1. I get the impression you will continue to have an interest in the Mirage.
    2. The rear axle alignment thread has little activity from 2017 owners.
    3. Before bowing out, keep an eye on things here to see if this truly is an ongoing problem. From what I can tell over the past few months, this rear axle misalignment problem has been resolved.
    4. Also, I haven't heard anyone having alignment problems as a result of chuck holes or other usage. Some members who have tried to cold-set the axle assembly were unsuccessful, as the assembly sprang back to it's original form, so I'm not sure that's going to be a problem in the future.

In any case, good luck and keep in touch! Drive safe.
    Hi, if the company/dealer support was as good here, as it is in the U.S.A, I wouldn't be worried at all. I don't know if you have ever heard of the Canadian car books called... Lemon Aid? The author retired last year but his final book was very interesting. He actually does mention the rear axle issue for the 2014/2015 Mirage cars in his book! I wonder if he looked at this forum?

You are correct. The mirage is my kind of car. A bare-bones economy car with great mileage, and therefore, a smaller environmental footprint. I will follow your advice and keep an eye on this forum. If other Canadians come along and report no issues with their 2017 Mirage cars, it will definitely make me think twice.

I wrote to Mitsubishi Canada, basically telling them that I'd love to buy the car but have been dismayed reading fellow Canadian posts about how they were treated about the rear axle issue. It will be interesting to see if they get back to me.

Thanks again!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kevhaw For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-05-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just out of curiousity are their any other Mitsubishi dealers in Canada within a reasonable distance if you don't like the one near you? There seems to be a huge discrepancy in experiences from dealer to dealer. I know the one I bought mine it is cheaper than the other local one, and they are very easy to work with and friendly.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The other dealers are in the vicinity of Toronto, our biggest city. The problem is I really don't want to be driving great distances for warranty issues. The one closest to me is 50 minutes away. Toronto would be about 90 minutes away at least. It doesn't sound like a big deal but for me it is. But I think the issue is with Mitsubishi Canada. They don't recognize the axle as even being an issue according to other Canadians who have had to deal with them. This is a known issue. Car companies in general are more responsive to their U.S. customers as the U.S. is a market 10 times bigger than our Canadian market.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The other dealers are in the vicinity of Toronto, our biggest city. The problem is I really don't want to be driving great distances for warranty issues. The one closest to me is 50 minutes away. Toronto would be about 90 minutes away at least. It doesn't sound like a big deal but for me it is. But I think the issue is with Mitsubishi Canada. They don't recognize the axle as even being an issue according to other Canadians who have had to deal with them. This is a known issue. Car companies in general are more responsive to their U.S. customers as the U.S. is a market 10 times bigger than our Canadian market.
    I'm surprised they wouldn't do anything on the axle. If my tires wore weird I'd just go to the dealer and be like "what the heck is this?". If it's a Mitsubishi Canada issue in general then I can understand because they'd really tie the hands of the dealer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well, I wish I hadn't canceled my test drive on Saturday. I decided to drive up there today(Sunday) and look at the mirage. There was a nice little burnt orange fully loaded SE in the front row. I got a good look at it and it is a beautiful little car. As the store was closed I walked all around and looked at the 2015's that are still left. Manual transmission cars.

For sure, I will keep my eyes peeled on this forum and the web to track reviews of the 2017 model. Hopefully the rear axle issue is no more. If that turns out to be the case, I'm sure I will be buying one before long. I really like the look of the car and can easily see why you guys are enthusiasts.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I bought a new 2017 a month or so ago.
    I had a 2014 which I traded in. The 2014 did not get louder over the 70,000 km I drove it nor did it have any new issues pop up. Buying a new one was a no brainer for me.
    The 2017 is in fact an improvement in ride quality, pep, engine noise, and appearance.
    Sadly though, as the window sticker suggests fuel economy has suffered noticeably.
    In the '14 I was able to achieve 500 to 560 km on a tank of fuel in normal driving. (I like to set my cruise at 110 km/hr) With the new '17 I've been running it almost dry to squeeze 500 km out of a tank driving the same way on the same route.
    I'm not entirely happy with the loss of economy for the improvements made but I still love this car.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    As the store was closed I walked all around and looked at the 2015's that are still left. Manual transmission cars.
    Should be able to name your price here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)