Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Niagara Falls!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello from Niagara Falls!

First off, I haven't purchased a Mirage yet. I wanted to ask some questions. It's just a matter of time before I will have to make a car purchase, as my old 1998 Saturn has a leaky head gasket that I sealed with Stop Leak back in January. The "fix" worked perfectly and it hasn't leaked since, but I know I'm on borrowed time.

I was thinking of going for an environmentally friendly car. I'm reading that the Mirage's gas mileage is so good it's almost on a par with a regular non-plugin hybrid.

A friend of mine works with a guy who has a 2014 or 2015 Mirage. He says the motor is extremely noisy now while the car is being driven, but when the car was new, it sounded fine. Do the motors in these cars degrade over time to become really noisy, or is it something simply like he changed to a thicker oil or something?

Thanks for any advice. In Canada, the one I want is the 2017 Mirage CVT. I do mostly stop and go city driving and I've never been a standard transmission driver. With cash incentive the car is about $16,200CDN all in.

Last edited by kevhaw; 11-01-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Hello!

The Mirage is not only very frugal (I have a lifetime average of about 48 mpg with mine), but very reliable. Reports of any major problems are very few and far between.

Is it a little noisy? Yes. Slow? Yes. AWESOME? YES! I bought mine new in December of 2014, and I would do it all over again. It should be noted that some substantial improvements have been made to the car since the early '14-'15 models. I'd go drive one for yourself to see if it suits your needs.

The Mirage is inexpensive, economical, and has a great warranty. If you are looking for much more, I'd shop around a bit.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Hello!

The Mirage is not only very frugal (I have a lifetime average of about 48 mpg with mine), but very reliable. Reports of any major problems are very few and far between.

Is it a little noisy? Yes. Slow? Yes. AWESOME? YES! I bought mine new in December of 2014, and I would do it all over again. It should be noted that some substantial improvements have been made to the car since the early '14-'15 models. I'd go drive one for yourself to see if it suits your needs.

The Mirage is inexpensive, economical, and has a great warranty. If you are looking for much more, I'd shop around a bit.
    Thanks for getting back to me! No, I'm not looking for more. I like just the basics. In fact, a selling point for me is the fact that the base mirage ctv doesn't come with air conditioning. I don't use AC and don't like it. Also, the base unit has windup windows which I prefer to power. It's almost impossible to find a car these days that doesn't have AC installed as standard equipment.

Yes, I've read about the improvements and for me, only the 2017 Mirage would be feasible...I will have to check one out in person and go for a test drive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I too appreciate basic, reliable, efficient transportation. I started reading this forum to get a sense of how these cars were performing for their owners. I couldn't find any problems that would make me choose some other car. When Mitsubishi started shipping the new 2017 models earlier this year I took advantage of their big rebates and bought a 2015 Mirage ES with manual transmission, auto climate control (with AC), cruise control & foglights. I was mostly after the cruise control. I'm very much pleased with my Mirage and am averaging a little over 50 mpg. Check out my garage entry for my Speck, and also browse the forum's Fuel Economy Log, found at the top of every page.

Welcome! We look forward to seeing your own garage entry here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I too appreciate basic, reliable, efficient transportation. I started reading this forum to get a sense of how these cars were performing for their owners. I couldn't find any problems that would make me choose some other car. When Mitsubishi started shipping the new 2017 models earlier this year I took advantage of their big rebates and bought a 2015 Mirage ES with manual transmission, auto climate control (with AC), cruise control & foglights. I was mostly after the cruise control. I'm very much pleased with my Mirage and am averaging a little over 50 mpg. Check out my garage entry for my Speck, and also browse the forum's Fuel Economy Log, found at the top of every page.

Welcome! We look forward to seeing your own garage entry here.
    Thanks very much! I will follow your suggestions! I am researching this forum and like very much the reviews I am reading about the 2017. The only thing I don't like about the basic ctv model is the lack of cruise control. I don't want AC so have no desire to jump to the higher end version. I really don't use cruise very often anyway so I think I can live without it. Otherwise, I love the standard equipment setup for the basic unit. A cd player with 4 speakers and an automatic transmission are 2 of my top priorities.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    Thanks very much! I will follow your suggestions! I am researching this forum and like very much the reviews I am reading about the 2017. The only thing I don't like about the basic ctv model is the lack of cruise control. I don't want AC so have no desire to jump to the higher end version. I really don't use cruise very often anyway so I think I can live without it. Otherwise, I love the standard equipment setup for the basic unit. A cd player with 4 speakers and an automatic transmission are 2 of my top priorities.
    With the CVT if you want to get maximum economy on the highway then cruise control is a must. If most of your driving will be in urban/suburban setting then it's not really necessary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the car is not quiet, both engine and road noise. But mine has gotten no noisier in 5K miles. Perhaps your friend has driven more miles and the tires have worn ...? For cheap wheels, the Mirage is fine. But I'd suggest driving everything in your price range, including used, if that suits you, before making the choice. Don't get locked into a car before you've driven them all and formed your own impressions of how they drive. And back to used, I've heard sedan sales have been dismal which makes a used compact sedan a potentially great value.

I've averaged mid forties in my 2015 manual. But that is with careful driving. The average is dropping now because my commute has changed and I think we are starting to get 'winter gas'. I will mount snow tires soon. Will be interesting to see if that makes it dip into the high 30's (mpg). In my experience, AC use, traffic, and less than careful driving have a big effect on MPG in the mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The only thing I don't like about the basic ctv model is the lack of cruise control. I don't want AC so have no desire to jump to the higher end version. I really don't use cruise very often anyway so I think I can live without it.
    If you are daring and adventurous, you can have it added. Either ask the dealership for a quote to have it added, or consider enabling it yourself as some other forum members here have. If you need help finding the thread that discusses enabling the cruise control, ask and we can dig it up.

Found it: I was able to Enable OEM Cruise control of my 2014 Mirage DE 5-speed Manual.

These cars are what's called drive-by-wire. That is, there is no direct linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle body as in days of old. Instead, the gas pedal, through a computer, sends a signal to a small motor that controls the throttle body. This arrangement makes it somewhat easy to add - enable, really - cruise control. I *think* all is needed is the switches on the steering wheel and brake and then, enable the feature in the Mirage ETACS. If I recall correctly, the wiring is in place (though that was for an older model - not sure about the 2017s.) Anyway, if the dealer adds it, it won't interfere with warranty coverage. Dealers are tuned in to any modifications that are done outside of the dealer network, and usually ask that modifications be removed before proceeding with service.

Some solid advice for you to consider here. For myself, I had decided I wanted a new car and thus set aside considering buying a used car, so that wasn't a problem for me. I can see how someone else might want to compare but for me, the set of features available for the Mirage made me not want to consider getting someone else's problems.

For example, the Mirage has a USB input for the radio. I haven't used the CD player yet on mine. I loaded a USB device with music files and can browse my music collection way beyond what I can fit on a single CD. In addition, I use enjoy using the bluetooth link with my phone for calls and music playback through the radio. It's a novel step up for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If you are daring and adventurous, you can have it added. Either ask the dealership for a quote to have it added, or consider enabling it yourself as some other forum members here have. If you need help finding the thread that discusses enabling the cruise control, ask and we can dig it up.

Found it: I was able to Enable OEM Cruise control of my 2014 Mirage DE 5-speed Manual.

These cars are what's called drive-by-wire. That is, there is no direct linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle body as in days of old. Instead, the gas pedal, through a computer, sends a signal to a small motor that controls the throttle body. This arrangement makes it somewhat easy to add - enable, really - cruise control. I *think* all is needed is the switches on the steering wheel and brake and then, enable the feature in the Mirage ETACS. If I recall correctly, the wiring is in place (though that was for an older model - not sure about the 2017s.) Anyway, if the dealer adds it, it won't interfere with warranty coverage. Dealers are tuned in to any modifications that are done outside of the dealer network, and usually ask that modifications be removed before proceeding with service.

Some solid advice for you to consider here. For myself, I had decided I wanted a new car and thus set aside considering buying a used car, so that wasn't a problem for me. I can see how someone else might want to compare but for me, the set of features available for the Mirage made me not want to consider getting someone else's problems.

For example, the Mirage has a USB input for the radio. I haven't used the CD player yet on mine. I loaded a USB device with music files and can browse my music collection way beyond what I can fit on a single CD. In addition, I use enjoy using the bluetooth link with my phone for calls and music playback through the radio. It's a novel step up for me.
    Thanks for the great info! Likely I'd ask the dealer for a price to add cruise if I decide I really need it. There definitely is a wealth of great info in this forum! So glad I found it! Thanks again

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kevhaw For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First off, I haven't purchased a Mirage yet. I wanted to ask some questions. It's just a matter of time before I will have to make a car purchase, as my old 1998 Saturn has a leaky head gasket that I sealed with Stop Leak back in January. The "fix" worked perfectly and it hasn't leaked since, but I know I'm on borrowed time.

I was thinking of going for an environmentally friendly car. I'm reading that the Mirage's gas mileage is so good it's almost on a par with a regular non-plugin hybrid.

A friend of mine works with a guy who has a 2014 or 2015 Mirage. He claims the motor is extremely noisy now, but when the car was new, it sounded fine. Do the motors in these cars degrade over time to become really noisy, or is it something simply like he changed to a thicker oil or something?
    Welcome, kevhaw. My car previous to the Mirage was a 99 Saturn. I loved it. Bought it fresh off the lot in 98, and drove it forever. Well, 17 years, at least. But it was time for something new, and the Mirage was it.

My commute is suburban, stop and go traffic. My Saturn was an automatic, but my Mirage is a manual. It's such a light clutch, it was easy to make the transition to manual. "Worst" part about manual in the Mirage is with the AC on, it can bog down. But it's not too bad, and you're shooting for the no-AC model anyway. Getting the revs up to 3000rpm before shifting, I'm still getting ~44mpg city.

To be honest, I got a manual because I was a little concerned (as others were) about the longevity of the CVT. Another user posted recently (I forget names) that is in charge of 30 Mirages for a Canadian delivery company, all CVT. If I remember correctly, they had one car develop a bad ignition coil, but other than oil and tires, the cars have been nothing but dependable. One of their vehicles is at 220,000km.

I'm at... 15,000 miles I think. No additional engine noise. I've got a 2015, and from what I understand, the 2014's didn't have as beefy of a motor mount, and it is a little shakier. 3 cylinders will do that. Fixed in the 2015 with a larger/better mount, which presumably has carried over to the 2017s. I also understand that the CVTs are a little shakier than the manual.

The Mirage is the perfect car for someone wanting basic transportation and good fuel economy. Love mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)