Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hello from Niagara Falls!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Get quotes from your dealers. Be sure to include all expenses & taxes for a fair comparison. Don't forget to get details on the first year bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage. Seems like a good opportunity here.

Well, I just made an offer on this Mirage. It has about 40,000 miles and it's an automatic 2014 model.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

I doubt she'll go for it as I offered her a little under 2/3rds her asking price, but we'll see. Even if it does have an issue with the rear alignment, I can get used to it and rotate the tires every oil change to even out the wear.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhaw View Post
    How does it handle on the road? Does it drive straight or does it pull to the side?
    Drives great. No pull in the steering. The steering wheel was off center maybe 3° left when I got the car so I had them center it. All is well in OCD land.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I had that issue... just turned out that the tires needed more air.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I haven't posted in this forum in a while. I didn't have any luck finding a used Mirage at a good price locally.
    My friend's wife just bought a new Toyota Yaris, and she gave me her 2000 Toyota Echo. Just got it registered and plated.

I did one mileage test so far. I used half a tank of gas, mostly highway, with some city driving. 45 miles per Canadian gallon, 37 per American sized gallon. This is via an automatic transmission.

As I got the car for free, I am keeping my Saturn on the road too. Just thought I'd let you guys know I did eventually get a small frugal car....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kevhaw For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Thanks for the update kevhaw and good luck with your Echo. Here's hoping it serves you well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

kevhaw: can't beat free if it's in roadworthy condition! Congrats.

But a warning: Carefully inspect the rear rocker panels by the rear wheel arches for rust.

I had one of these cars and can tell you it's the car's fatal flaw. The rear axle body mount point is on the inside "wall" of the rocker structure, in the area where these cars rust out badly. Many Echos go to the junkyard because of rust, well before they're worn out mechanically. (One just came up for sale in my area: "for parts only - rear axle about to fall off!")

To save mine, I had to do reconstructive surgery with a welder.

Better to be proactive and thoroughly rustproof that area, especially inside the rocker (there are 4 "layers" to it - make sure to get in all the voids)! I'm sure the forums will have more info for you.

Enjoy the Echo. I didn't have mine long, but I felt it had a real quality feel for an econobox. By the time you're ready for your next car, there should be more Mirages available and at even better prices. Hope to see you then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-16-2017)